Choosing what to choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wing-01

Hi Guys came here to get some info, because I have no idea about computers or anything and I want to set out to build my own!
have a few specs in mind well one actually but I want to get good parts for it and I dont know who is the best manufacturer of motherboards, Graphic Cards, Sound.
I mean for me is very confusing. I know that AMD were good but arn't they lagging behind in the race as Intel has overtaken them.
I have allot of questions and more questions.
My target is to find the best pices of the spec I want for my PC I want to build.
so for example the best of this specific motherboard I want the best manufacturer but then from that I have more questions on compability and problems.

Anyway Hi all thats my missionnat at the momment and I hope you can help me.

Kind Regards,
Wing-01

thank you for the straight answer about AMD my god for people like you in this earth!

I ahve two specs but after you told me the AMD sucks i Guess I put it up

1200 Watt Multi GPU ATX 12V 2.2 Power Supply

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 Graphic Card
OR
GeForce 9800 GX2

Intel Core 2 Extreme 3.2GHZ 12MB 1600 MHZ Processor

4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 Memory

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional Sound Card
OR
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Sound Card

1TB Raid 0 System Drive

NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI Motherboard

I understand that the motherboard I need to change I thought by selecting the graphic card the mother board and memory all under NVIDIA they can talk to eachother better making my machine run smothier.

What I dont understand is why is the GeForce GTX 280 better that the GeForce 9800 GX2 I put GTX 280 as a ??? becasue from what i get is that it would run well with that system.
Same thing with the Sound card.

Ill put the other spec I guess you can ignore the AMD Processor.
Again the same thing with the graphic card and the sound card.
again here I chose ATI and AMD as they are both in the same, I believe they would talk to eachother better aswell but your the expert not me.

1200 Watt Multi GPU ATX 12V 2.2 Power Supply

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Graphic Card
OR
ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 Graphic Card

AMD Phenom X4 Quad-Core Processor
4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 Memory

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional Sound Card
OR
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Sound Card

1TB Raid 0 System Drive

??? Motherboard ???

you may ask your self why such a powerfull pc well one I am a gamer and two I use it for Editing films etc...
just so you know

Edit: I posted after you had just posted, thus the reason for the cotent of my reply.

We need your budget and what you want to do with your build, i.e. gaming, Office applications such as Excel, Power Point, etc., internet browsing, video editing, etc.

As for what is the "best" is a matter of like/preference/taste. There are many good motherboard manufacturers with many good offerings. There are some great video card offewrings right now. It comes back to budget and your intent for the PC build.

Intel is doing very well right now especially with their dual-core offerings both in performance and price, but to say AMD sucks is way off base. AMD has some nice offerings and you can their AM2 dual core offerings cheap. I have/had both Intel and AMD and both work/worked very fine.

* if you have never built a system before I suggest finding some one who has and ask them to come along side and lend support if you get stuck.

Ok Budget is £10000
I will be using it for
Games
Avid Editing Softwares
Internet
Microsoft Office
Finally I computer that can lust LOL

Yes I have a guy who builds and fixes computer thats his job. but before I want to go to him I really want to do my research and just put infront of him what I want and then we can build it together. so really increase my level of understanding and knowlage before Y even order something

Thank you by the way

With that kind of cash to spend on a system you can build a cutting edge monster!

The 4800 offerings from ATI are great cards and I believe the 4870x2 will be released at the end of July.

Keep in mind SLi doesn't always deliver as one would hope. Depending on the video card you choose and the cpu, a single card can sometimes deliver better. This will take some indepth research.

Even though you can't order from NewEgg.com I always found it helpful to read customer reviews. Some are very helpful, plus the system specs of each component is given.

Google the components you want and read tech reports on them.

By the way, what OS will you be installing?

Windows XP
Or
Windows Vista
Maybe both I have the Windows XP with me then I might move to Vista
I understand Vista can be a pain with video games and other things

With your new system I would seriously consider Vista 64. Despite what some would say, I know many people who run Vista 64 and have had no issues at all with gaming, etc. They just knew how to configure it properly.

Plus the 64-bit OS will be able to utilize 4 gigs of RAM which for video editing would be great.

Keep in mind Microsoft has said the will be releasing Windows 7 sometime in 2009 and DX 11 is coming with it.

From your second post i can say BAD IDEA price wise but 10000 is alot (how much us $?)

You can't use 4 gigs of ram withought vista 64...so yes vista 64. Or xp 64.

O.o whats "Windows 7" dx 11? O.o when?

First off i can say buy a WD velociraptor as this will significantly improve load times.

Your video card choices were what? 3870x2 is not a good idea.

4870x2 (assming that drivers will NOT lower fps in CF xD) is good 2 of them, however, i wonder what beast of a power supply that would take assuming ≈ 300W max per card x4 = 1200W O.o. What kind of power pins too O.o.

Triple gtx 280...i suppose would be pretty good. expensive. $1500 US?

Keep in mind SLi doesn't always deliver as one would hope. Depending on the video card you choose and the cpu, a single card can sometimes deliver better. This will take some indepth research.
what? i thought that was crossfire lol. SLI at least dilivers like 30% minimum. Right?

Are you going to overclock?
Seeing you budget, i would pick one of these two ram choices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...70147+1052438355+1052315794&name=4GB+(2+x+2GB)

I recommend the OCZ because corsair dominator is a rip off.
Oh also i would say use an intel Mobo and CF 4870x2 because there are alot of stability problems when it comes with 790i + DDR3 2000.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131276
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128330
I think these should do.

I heard that Creative is crippleing their vista drivers...
Long post. :(

WOO!! ok that means a good water cooler or maybe just an air. and i think you should make the fsb to 2000 (can you???) to match the RAM. 500x8 (default) = 4.0ghz. it think.

Something I haven’t had a straight answer on is Nvidia Vs Ati.

What I do know about ATI is that they are always biting NVIDIA’s *** (Very Competitive LOL)
Also very good in price and performance, but NVIDIA look to be head to head. I don’t know very lost with this one again.

My problem I am digesting allot of info and no definitive answer. Saying that my research has moved away from AMD Processor and away from NVIDIA going toward Intel and ATI ( it looks like allot of the reviews and articles are moving that way)

Memory on the original spec need more research ‘the Dominator’, I am having 2nd thoughts

I know the SLI Motherboard will give me some headaches and that they are very unreliable (Research Done)

I had a look at a different sound card my research have showed that they have fixed all problems with it by adding 4 or more gigs but again I am not sure so at the moment there are 3 sound cards I am looking at.

As always I am very confused with motherboards there are two but their isn’t much difference between them. Again I am not sure if they are the right ones for communications between all the different components

At the moment is looking like this…

Processor
Intel Core 2 Extreme Overclocked 4.0 GHZ

Graphic Cards
Two ATI RADEON 4870 (Will Wait a little bit)

Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
OR
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional
OR
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Motherboard
ASUS Strike 2 Extreme
OR
ASUS Strike 2 NSE
OR
P5Q WS (Not sure about this one I think No but still researching)

By the way Thank you for your help this is helping me allot

Asus makes some great boards but make sure your RAM has been certified by Asus for your particular board. Their mobos are noted for being picky about the RAM used.

With both Nvidia and ATI offerings at midrange you can't go wrong, but at this point I would lean towards the 4800s.

As for sound card I suggest to seriously look into Asus' latest offerings. They are getting tremendous write-ups and they are a PC-x slot designed. Plus they are giving Creative a real run for the money.

Don't go cheap on your case. Make sure you have plenty of fans and airflow. Also, a good power supply is the backbone of the system.

* Do your research throuroughly and then jump in. If you wait for the next best thing by the time you buy it something else has already eclipsed it.

* Build with the option for future upgrading. That is why building your own is great and a lot of fun.

Keep going to NewEgg and other places and begin to narrow down.

The first two Asus motherboards you have listed are SLI boards. SLI is for nVidia cards only. If you plan to use two Radeon 4870 cards (or any two Radeon graphics cards), you have to choose another motherboard.

The P5Q WS is a workstation motherboard (hence the "WS"). I wouldn't use a workstation motherboard for a home PC build.

Build with the option for future upgrading. That is why building your own is great and a lot of fun.
with that kind of money...lol maybe next year or something. Or when Nehalem comes out!

With both Nvidia and ATI offerings at midrange you can't go wrong, but at this point I would lean towards the 4800s.
I lean toward them cuz everyone makes the gtx 200 sound like crap because the ATI empire struck back!!

The P5Q WS is a workstation motherboard (hence the "WS"). I wouldn't use a workstation motherboard for a home PC build.
LOL

The first two Asus motherboards you have listed are SLI boards. SLI is for nVidia cards only. If you plan to use two Radeon 4870 cards (or any two Radeon graphics cards), you have to choose another motherboard.

This considered, I would go with this Intel x48 Crossfire mobo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128330

Whats the max FSB it will let you go too? mine is only supposed to go to 800 or something but i can push it to 1400...

As for sound card I suggest to seriously look into Asus' latest offerings. They are getting tremendous write-ups and they are a PC-x slot designed. Plus they are giving Creative a real run for the money.
Go for a razor barracuda because i like razor :). Actually i don't know if they are good.

Alright well, i think we can pretty much narrow the ram down to one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...70147+1052438355+1052315794&name=4GB+(2+x+2GB

For your budget, this is what I recommend:
Grand Total = £5492.73

No need to say anything about the PC's performance, is there? =P

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Hmm....780i? do you mean 790i? (i forgot what the 780i supports but i think it does NOT support ddr3)

About the ram, whats really funny is, DDR3 2000 RAM IS CHEEPER THAT DDR3 1600!!!!
I don't know how that works but might as well by DDR3 2000 LOL. I remeber last at newegg that 1gig modules were just $120.

I would say either use water cooling for your cpu or use this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106102
as it is almost the same except with all copper fins and heatsink. 80cfm fan too.

Those are some LOUD fans! i think these are better with 90cfm and 18 decibles:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226013

With so many fans, might i recomend 1 or even 2 of these fan speed controlers. There are 4 independent temperature displays, 4 independent control knobs, and 4 + 2 extra temperature probes.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998038

Just my opinion but 6ms response time feels kinda slow. If i built a super computer, i would only have like a 20' or maybe 24.

OCZ 128GB 2.5" Core Series SATAII Solid State Disk - £289.99 + £9.99 delivery
No velociraptor? i think 2 in raid could beat a slolid state drive. Or maybe even go with seagate cheetas at 15000 rpm.

Nah, HDDs are still mechanical, so they do have their limits. With solid state drives though, the limit is much, much higher. That's why I didn't link him to any Cheetahs either. They would also require a PCI card, since they're SCSI only. But damn, they're fast! :D

Ok Guys just a quick Update!
I am researching and researching.
Looking at all your advice in detail.

Will probably post a spec tomorrow around the same time!

Your advice has been great couldn’t ask for better if I paid or prayed for it really.
You have really taught me allot specially looking at everything you guys have said.
I really appreciate all of your comets and help!

Like I said will come back with something tomorrow for your teeth to sink into LOL.

Right quick Update On MOTHERBOARDS

ASUS
P5E Deluxe
P5E3 Premium

MSI
X48 Platinum
X48C Platinum

INTEL
DX48BT2

Looking at them I am lets say 80% on the ASUS but doing more research.
I looked at the GIGABYTE Motherboards (GA-X48T-DQ6) I can tell you now NO.
But MSI I am liking but I think to get the whole potential of the QX9770 i might go ASUS or INTEL.
But is looking like ASUS! But they dont support DDR3 so again I am lost (MSI or INTEL)

Again any opinions please do post!

P.S. Also looked at QX9775 I can tell you NO but if someone has something to say about it please do Opinions are welcome

The QX9775 is an LGA771 CPU. It won't work in LGA775 boards. Also, avoid Intel mobos, since they're not meant for OCing. As for DDR3 support, the ASUS Striker II Extreme I linked to in my post on the last page has that, as does the ASUS P5E3 Deluxe, which I personally own and highly recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back