Classic RTS game Total Annihilation is free on GOG this weekend

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: On a personal note, the title holds a special place in my heart as it was perhaps the only RTS game that I ever developed an interest for. I was never very good at it (I don’t think I ever won a single multiplayer match against my friend) but it was loads of fun nevertheless.

One of the greatest real-time strategy games ever created is being offered absolutely free for a limited time courtesy of GOG.com.

Total Annihilation launched in late 1997 for Windows and Mac from developer Cavedog Entertainment. A pair of expansion packs added more content to the base game – The Core Contingency which launched on April 28, 1998, followed by Battle Tactics on June 30 of the same year.

Total Annihilation racked up several awards in its heyday. GameSpot labeled it as one of the greatest games of all time.

GOG’s offer, which is good for the next 43 hours or so (as of this writing), is for a DRM-free copy of Total Annihilation: Commander Pack which includes the core game and the two aforementioned expansion packs. Unfortunately, it isn't compatible with macOS 10.15 and newer.

The promotion is part of GOG’s ongoing summer sale. Launched late last month, the event runs through June 15 with discounts on thousands of titles.

Images courtesy Planetary Annihilation

Permalink to story.

Brings back memories. Noticed it had a digital music download and holy crap, Jeremy Soule wrote the soundtrack?! Listening to it while I have a few hours left to burn for work. John Williams of video games indeed.

"On a personal note, the title holds a special place in my heart as it was perhaps the only RTS game that I ever developed an interest for. I was never very good at it (I don’t think I ever won a single multiplayer match against my friend) but it was loads of fun nevertheless."

LOL, ditto. Of course we mostly played co-op skirmish. I haven't played a campaign in any RTS since Warcraft II and I tired of its rampant cheating very quickly. Never did understand why anyone could stand to play those limited episodes - give me total war or nothing.

I loved the game. I remember the multiplayer part, where there was an area with planets in space and people started or joined battles in order to conquer the selected territories. Prototype concept for that gaming era.

Back