Clicking on download button only reloads page

Status
Not open for further replies.

barebear

I'm running XP Pro SP2 fully updated, with Firefox 2.0.0.3 and having a problem with 1 particular website which has various stuff available to download.

When I click on the download button under an item, the page reloads instead of the usual little window appearing and prompting me to either open or save the file.

I have no problems with any other site I've gone to and attempted to download from.

I went to the FAQ's for the site and found this:
Q: I can`t download anything! Page reloads or I get an error message.

A: Please read the answer carefully, because it's the most asked question. You should temporarily disable software that blocks http-referers ("referer" tells where user comes from) such as webfilters (Proxomitron, WebWasher, etc.), proxys and some firewalls (Norton Internet Security, etc.), because some software have disabled referers by default (verify your software settings). Otherwise you might not be able to download the files.

After reading the preceding and ONLY to see if it would resolve the reloading issue, I disabled from startup ALL my anti-spyware/malware utilities such as SpySweeper, Pest Patrol, Spyware Guard, and Ad Muncher, and disabled my software firewall. I met with no success --- the download prompt window again would not appear; the page simply reloaded. And, YES, I instantly re-enabled ALL the things I had disabled ( I am a MAJOR freak about system protection ).

I have attached a link to a screenshot showing what items I disabled from the startup group ( along w/ disabling my software firewall) in my attempt to fix the problem.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t160/barebear1/Disabledfromstartup.jpg

I had the same problem (page reloading instead of the open/save prompt window appearing) when I tried using Opera and IE6.

When I go to my neighbors computer (which is also XP SP2 and FF 2.0.0.3 ) I have no trouble with the website in question. I looked at his settings in Control Panel>Internet Options>Advanced; they were identical to mine in all respects. The same applies to the Security tab settings.

Please advise how to fix this reloading problem.

"I am a MAJOR freak about system protection"...

This is probably the root of your current problem. Start by uninstalling all your "protection" and run CCleaner. Install only one firewall one spy ware and one antivirus protection program at any given time

I got it figured out at last by trial and error.

The summary of my efforts is this: I am behind a Linksys BEFSR41 router and also run V-COM SystemSuite Pro 7 which uses Trend Micro's anti-virus stuff and also has something called Net Defense Firewall which can be configured to run or not run at startup

I got to a point where I had , by logical deduction/experimentation, concluded that none of the programs in that startup group picture you saw had any effect on my being able to download or not.

I then got to the point in my process of elimination where it was time to reboot with the Net Defense Firewall disabled from startup, but with everything in that startup group picture enabled.

That turned out to be the solution---I was immediately able to get a download prompt window.

Now, here's something weird (at least to me) ---if after rebooting w/ the Net Defense F/W disabled, I manually enabled it and then manually disabled it, I could NOT get a download prompt window until AFTER I again rebooted w/ the NDFW disabled.

"Now, here's something weird (at least to me) ---if after rebooting w/ the Net Defense F/W disabled, I manually enabled it and then manually disabled it, I could NOT get a download prompt window until AFTER I again rebooted w/ the NDFW disabled"...

Is Net Defense really necessary in the first place? I think not... There are much better programs out there than Trend Micro's offerings. With all the crap that you run, I can't see how your computer runs at all

Hi Tmagic650,

Re "With With all the crap that you run, I can't see how your computer runs at all, .......you judge me harshly. (Although, in many instances regarding system configurations I've seen, I'd have to agree with you completely).

With that said, there is method to what you see as "... all the crap that you run...."

Go here: http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm and here: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm, and look carefully at the comparison results. When you do, you'll see that each of the combination of Spybot, Pest Patrol , and Spysweeper catches something that the other 2 don't.

Thats the reason I run the combination ---maximum coverage. I've done a little comparison/experimentation w/ various anti-virus/anti-malware tools as well as "maintenance" utilities/suites,and at least for now what I'm running seems to give me the most comprehensive coverage with the least use of resources and optimal performance

The system handles whats on it w/ the greatest of ease--it runs Diskeeper Pro Premier and consists of Asus A7N8X deluxe, Athlon 2400, (2x512) Mushkin Black High Perf, Radeon 8500LE, TDK 48X CDRW(this system was built back when 52x was still a dream), Plextor708A DVD-RW, 2 internal and one external identical 80GB Western Digital Caviar 7200rpm 8mb cache, XP SP2, FFX 2.0.0.3 .

My C drive has only 14.4GB used , the other drives are redundant data drives used primarily for My Documents, Norton Ghost and for non-DOS utility backups.

Please note that I run nothing from Symantec other than Ghost--I shouldn't need to explain why to someone of your high level of expertise. (You have been of great assistance to me in the past on this forum!)

I run nothing from Trend Micro other than their anti-spyware; it just happens that V-Com SystemSuite happens to use their anti-virus (which has performed excellently for me )

All said and done, I've worked towards giving the system maximum full time automated protection and maintenance while minimizing utilization of system resources and optimizing performance.

What do you, per your comment "There are much better programs out there than Trend Micro's offerings.", consider as being worthy of being part of YOUR protection/maintenance scheme? I will most certainly be eager to try them out!

I have tried almost every protection scheme out there...

I ran Symantec products for a long time. McAfee is just as horrible. I ran Kerio for a while. Trend Micro is a joke. AVG Antivirus/antispyware are good. I use Ad-Aware, CCleaner, IE7 and Windows Live OneCare at this time. I use Acronis True Image for backing up data and O%O Defrag to keep my hard drives healthy... There's really no such thing as "maximum coverage". I consider your "maximum coverage" bloat. I don't want to bog my system down. It takes time to find out what programs work best with your system configuration. Another thing I don't believe in is "Comparison Results". If you pay someone enough money, he will say or do anything you want him to.

As long as all your "crap" isn't installed at the same time, you will be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back