Command & Conquer Remastered Collection gets June 5 launch date

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: EA on Tuesday dropped the official reveal trailer for Command & Conquer Remastered Collection, a compilation of iconic real-time strategy games that defined and popularized the genre.

EA first announced the project to the public in October 2018. The video game company described the effort as a passion project between EA and some of the Westwood Studios team members that originally worked on the series.

The refresh will include the original Command & Conquer, the 1995 game often referred to as Tiberian Dawn, plus Command & Conquer: Red Alert as well as their three expansion packs: The Covert Operations, Counterstrike and The Aftermath.

Buyers will enjoy rebuilt graphics and textures that support 4K resolution, a remastered soundtrack, a revamped UI, updated controls and a multiplayer system that has been rebuilt from the ground up to support multiple game types.

The Remastered Collection will be available from June 5 digitally on Steam and Origin. It’ll also be available as part of the Origin Access Premiere subscription service. Pricing is set at $19.99 for the digital collection.

Through a collaboration with Limited Run Games, there will also be two physical editions – at $59.99 and $149.99 – that include plenty of extras such as a remastered soundtrack on a custom USB drive and a reversible poster.

Permalink to story.

Nice, it actually sounds like this remaster will be what the fans want (unlike recent ones lol)

I wish they would fix RA3 and C&C 3 to run on a 21:9 screen. Before anyone suggests, editing the .ini files resolution does NOT work ,at least for retail and EA version as I have both.

Pretty sure that, like their other games, the Steam version will still need to verify with Origin...
However, unlike origin, steam crowd sources Linux support for all their games even if the game isn't officially supported

If you can host your games via LAN, I'm all in.
Steam is a bonus point also.
I'm curious about the Steam play WITHOUT Origin... Dunno..

It would be nice if trade in discounts could be made for customers that own the old titles. I have the first Decade collection on steam. and this will be a bit redundant now the remaster version is out.

I liked the Warcraft games a lot more than C&C at the time, but I'm quite excited about this remaster. Seems like a remaster done right, unlike that other one. Not going to preorder, though. :)

First time I've ever played C&C Red Alert was on PSx. It came in a 2-CDs set for Allies and Soviets campaings. Since then, I looked for it for PC and I've played the whole franchise. Most people tend to disgrace the last games, for I gotta say I enjoyed playing them, both C&C 3 and RA 3.

exactly! I pre-ordered it yesterday on Steam for 20 Euros.

What does pre-ordering "get" you other than encouraging them to still release crap software full of bugs. Which in turn ruins it for the rest of us.

I know a few of my friends who are looking forward to this, but have reservations as it's a very bitter to buy the same game yet again. When you buy a game, you buy the license to play the game. Kind of like buying a movie or song. You buy the license to view it, which is why you have to buy a special license to share media in a public setting.

Presumably if this is successful (if we actually buy it) they will remaster Red Alert 2, maybe even alongside the less-popular-but-same-engine Tiberian Sun. If not there's always OpenRA mods.

I love remasters and I'm particularly looking forward to Frank Klepacki's updated soundtrack, but honestly the C&C games have dated and shallow gameplay, the "spam units, send blob to enemy base" strategy gets old fast.

The one RTS game that really holds up to me is Company of Heroes (2006), I'd play a remastered version of that over the sequel any day. The Blitzkrieg mod for it is great, still being updated too.

Re: C&C Renegade check out RenegadeX, the faithful indie recreation on the Unreal Engine.

I don't understand that logic? How does selling on Steam correlate with Linux support?
Steam uses Proton to crowd source Linux support without you having to touch ANYTHING. It's unofficial support and they don't guarantee that it works with everygame, but it works with just about every game I've tried with it.

These games are popular enough that people in the community will make them work on Linux fairly quickly and upload their settings to Proton.

This system works so well that I'm sure I'll be able to play cyberpunk 2077 within 24 hours of release. It took 2 hours for someone to get borderlands 3 working and upload their settings to Proton. Proton is it's own program, steam just streamlines the process for you.

What does pre-ordering "get" you other than encouraging them to still release crap software full of bugs. Which in turn ruins it for the rest of us.

I know a few of my friends who are looking forward to this, but have reservations as it's a very bitter to buy the same game yet again. When you buy a game, you buy the license to play the game. Kind of like buying a movie or song. You buy the license to view it, which is why you have to buy a special license to share media in a public setting.

It is 20 euros so I won't sweat much about it. This was THE GAME of my childhood. Do a bit of reading on this project and you realise this is not your regular money-making AAA title, but a development work in strong collaboration with the community to revive an old Legend.
I see no harm in pre-ordering this title.

I have pre-ordered BF3 with Premium back in the day and couldn't play it for months due to bugs. That was my one and only pre-order before this.

Back