Comment on computer build v1.02 'New Tech'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am new to these forums but not new to computers. I would like to know y'alls thoughts on this novel idea. I've decided to wait until January to build a new gaming computer. I would like it to meet the following requirments:

Starting in January

Around $1,400 (Monitor, case, PSU already purchased)

Waiting for the New Technology.

Will have SLI eventually.

Will have 4 GB of DDR2 (not DD3)

Will plan to do some OC (nothing that a Thermalright ultra 120 can't handle)

I am aware that there is not such thing as 'future proof' so I wont ask it. But I would like to know if I am doing the right thing and smart thing (hopefully I can have both). I essentially can wait to build my new gaming rig, I have the patience. I just don't want to FUBAR and make the wrong/stupid decisions. The games I would like it to play, frankly is any. If I like the game, I will by it but I don't have games in mind that already is not obvious such as Crysis, COD4, SUPCOM, Starcraft II, any steam/valve games, etc...

This is my plan. The new 8800GTS and 780i chipsets will come out in December (hopefully they will have worked things out with the yorkfield/penryn support). and in January the new CD2 come out (the Q6600 replacement Q9300/Q9450 is what I would like to purchase). and the new nvidia highend monster is rumored to come out in feb. Perfect. I will pick up the MOBO and CPU in January as well as the eVGA 8800GTS 2nd rev. and step up to the 9800 in feb. I hope that this works and that there are no issues. Let me know what would you do in my position? What should I do differently? Am I over thinking it?

My current case is P182 GMB, my PSU is OCZ gameXstream 700W, and my monitor is samsung 226BW which has a resolution of 1680 x 1050. I also have windows Vista Business 64-bit and XP64. Thank you in advance.

Hello, tywarz, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your question, personally, I would get the 8800GT. It offers excellent performance for the price and from what i remember it's better than the GTS.

If you're going to be running a 64 bit OS then you might as well go with 4GB of RAM as well ;)

you use a 286 said:
just get a custom made one, they are cheaper and more reliable
What do you mean by this? If you mean a build from a site like IBuyPower, then how is it cheaper? Building your own is much cheaper and gives you warranty on each individual part rather than for the whole machine. It's the best way to go.

@Daveskater, he's talking about getting the 8800GTS rev. 2, which will have more shader processors than the current 8800GTS which will give it much more pixel-processing power than the 8800GT.

@tywarz, IMO you shouldn't consider SLI unless you have a monitor capable of resolutions upto\above 1600x1200, since that is where the true performance gain from SLI lies. Also, I'd recommend buying an X38-based motherboard like the ASUS P5E or the Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6. But it's your personal choice to pick the nForce 780i and if you pick either, you'll be guaranteed to get the performance you expect. The CPUs are a good move and will be worth waiting for. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
@Daveskater, he's talking about getting the 8800GTS rev. 2, which will have more shader processors than the current 8800GTS which will give it much more pixel-processing power than the 8800GT.

Fair enough, mate, I didn't know that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back