Computer blowing plug fuse

martinlw

My computer keeps on blowing the plug fuse after I had replaced a 4 pin power cable extension,which had overheated on the connection attatched to the cable not the motherboard end just in case this wasn't the problem I replaced the power supply unit but it did exactly the same thing,am I correct to assume there is now a short on the motherboard.

Sorry to hear this, but 240v is not easy stuff.

So you replaced every thing from the wall outlet including the power supply and up to the connection with the motherboard. It still blows the inline fuse (15 amp 240v or similar). It would seem very likely that motherboard is messed up - and possibly the CPU if the voltage crossed through the onboard regulators and if it was the 4-pin which feeds the CPU.

If it were mine, I would get another system and go through this testing for "good" parts - HDD, CD, mouse, keyboard, etc. - like a backwards build. An alternative would be to remove HDD and donate the rest to a technology course at a local school.

I have replaced the motherboard with an older one I have, quad core same as new one but DDR2 instead of DDR3 everything working fine after reinstalling windows 10 pro 64.

Back