Computer crash in sevarl ways (bsod, freeze, reboot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I am having big problems with my computer for quite a while, tried what I know, been reading in some places but found no solutions and will be very happy if someone finds a way to help out.

PROBLEM:
The thing is my computer stop working randomly in one of 3 ways-

1. Just stops responding. screen freeze, keyboard and mouse unusable, sometimes a red horizontal line appear at the top of the screen. must restart from button.
2. self-restarting. no signs, just a sudden restart.
3. BSOD. some diffrent kinds:
IRQ_NOT LESS_OR EQUAL / PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA / no-title - 0x0000007E
one of the above happens 4 to 10 times a day. sometimes reapetedly sometimes with big gaps.

Info and attempts to solve:
I use winXP SP2 on a p.4 2.4GHz + 256 MB RAM. lg cd-rom, nec dvd-rw, 60 GB hdd (2 gb free on the sys partion, 5 free on the data partion), nvidia geforce4 440 mmx.
only hardware change before it all started was a cm-922d lcd monitior wich replaced my old CRT monitor. but can a monitor cause such problems?? I assume no.
I havn't installed anything new before it started but anyway i've uninstalled any unneeded software. I have NOD32 and MS-Defender up-to-date and running, windows auto-updates on.
I've monitored CPU-tmp and it doesn't go much above 50C. tried a free-memory program wich didn't helped. run memtest for 1-2 hours and found no errors.
I've listed down the detailes of the bsod's and will attach in a txt, also only sometimes after a crash it says "windows have recoverd from a critical error" and gives info, will attach that as well.
I thougt it might be the geforce4 so i've uninstalled and use the on-board video card. it doen't help as well.

If there is more information that can help find the source of the problem and I left it out pls tell me and I'll post.

Thankyou for your time,
Danken.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It sounds like you may have a ram or underpowered/failing psu problem.

What psu do you have? Brand/wattage/amps on the 12volt rail. You can find this info on the psu label.

Go HERE and follow the instructions. If that doesn`t help, attach 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi and thanks for replying :)
ok, i've passed through the threads, did what was left to do. still crashing, even while typing this. all last crashes were sudden reboot with no error messege or information at all (just got a freeze one now, no info aswell).
PSU info:
input: 115/230V~, 8/4A, 60/50Hz
output: 300W
+3.3V 28A
+5V 30A
+12V 15A
+5VSB 2A
-5V 0.3A
-12V 0.8A

+5V and +3.3V total power not exced max 180W
+5V and +12V and +3.3V total power not exced max 280W.

had the computer running a memtest86+ boot from floppy for more than 40 passes. no errors.

will attach my minidumps now, i just have to say i understand they are some kind of crashlogs(?) but have no idea how to view them myself.

thanks,
Danken.

1 minidumps crashes at Klpid.sys. This is part of your Kaspersky antivirus programme.

All the rest of your minidumps crash with memory corruption.

This could still be a ram problem as some faulty ram can pass Memtest. Try a different stick of ram and see if your system becomes stable.

However, you psu doesn`t look very good and could also be the culprit.

Take a look at this Psu wattage calculator and see what it comes up with.

I also suggest you check your mobo for bulging or leaking capacitors. See HERE for further info.

Regards Howard :)

well, the wattage calc gave about 280W that is about my max output but i have worked with that psu and same harware configuration for over 3 years. i don't have a spare higher wattage psu so before buying one i did tryed using an identical psu that i took out of a computer that was bought the same time mine was but still works fine. it failed few minutes after booting.

I also looked for bad capacitors, I did found some little-bulged ones around the cpu. but when i opened up the computer i took the other psu from i noticed the same thing there, and as i said there aren't problems there. yet.

I'm using only 1-ddr stick and don't have one to switch with for now, so that's still in the dark. (the other computer is using a different kind)

don't know if there's a point in buying a new stronger psu or a new ram stick when it might be those bulged capacitors...

it there any chance that it got something to do with software problems or hdd? chkdsk went ok.
should I consider a repair or clean install of my XP or is that a waist of time?

kind'a lost on this right now... to many options.
if you come up with something I'll be happy to hear,
yours,
Danken.

Bulging capacitors aren`t a good sign. It usually signifies a failing mobo.

By all means try a format and reinstall. This would rule out a software problem.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back