Computer freezing when trying to run an antivirus scan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am new to this forum so please be gentle!

I have never had any problems with my computer, and I ran AVG, Spybot, Adaware and Malwarebytes anti-malware to try and keep it clean

But about 2 weeks ago I downloaded the new AVG and then started to have problems
The computer would freeze when running the scheduled scan every night and I had to manually restart it by holding down the power button

I thought this must be a bug with AVG, so uninstalled AVG and installed Avira, but still had the same problem, only that with Avira it freezes after about a minute, with AVG it would freeze after about 5 minutes

I have tried to run Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spywarer but the computer re-started itself after 15minutes of the scans and then I got a blue screen.

The only thing I can think of is that I have a virus and when the scans find it thats when the computer freezes
I cannot see what file it freezes on though, so I downloaded Hijack this

I have no idea how to read it though...
could you please have a look at the log to see if anything looks suspicious?

The computer is fine and has absolutely no problems until I try to run a scan then the computer will either re-start itself or freeze.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks,
Nicola :)

Brand, model, configuration, and age of computer. Age on the hard drive. All needed.

Download the free versions of MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware. Consider removing AVG and then install either AVAST or Avira Antivir.
You should remove Spybot and Adaware, then run a deframentation. Then reboot to <SAFE MODE> by depressing the <F8> key repeatedly once per second. When it reaches Safe Mode, wait for five minutes for it to become stable.
Then run AVG in SAFE MODE> if you still have it, or preferably Avast or Avira.
Then run MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware in safe mode.
This will take a long time.... as long as 2 1/2 hours, depending on how much is stored on your computer.
If it these tools do not run, suspect your hard drive.

Hi there,

Thanks for replying so quickly

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L300-1CU
model no. PSLB8E - 04M02CEN
It runs Vista and is 6 months old.

I already had Malwarebytes on the computer before the problems and when I joined the forum I downloaded SuperAntiSpyware.
Both of them wont complete the scans without the computer re-starting.

I also already have uninstalled AVG and installed Avira but still have the same problem.

I have also already tried running the computer in safe mode and then scanning, but the computer still either freezes or re-starts
It will also re-start when trying to run the defragmenter

I dont think it is a problem with the hard drive, because I dont have any problems at all until I try to run scans, or any kind of long process like the defragment or backing up.
I have went a week or two without any problems at all, with the computer not freezing or re-starting once because I havent tried any of the above...

Nicola

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back