Computer or Monitor problems ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boeingfixer

Hey gang,

I have an unusual situation with a machine that I build for a friend of mine. It is a Duron box, everything was installed new, including the case. Here is the problem. When he turns the computer on, the monitor light stays yellow and doesn't come on. If you turn the monitor off and on, it sometimes comes on. But even stranger is, if you turn the computer off from the switch on the POWER SUPPPLY and not the front of the case, everything works ok ?? Any ideas ? Thanks a mil !

Something wierd is definately happening there. One way to tell for sure is to hook the monitor up to another box.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
Something wierd is definately happening there. One way to tell for sure is to hook the monitor up to another box.
Just to add to that; is your monitor connected directly to a power socket or via the PSU?

I think there is an issue with the monitor and video card sync'ing correctly. My comp does the same thing every 4th or 5th boot up..

The computer and the monitor are both hooked to a power supply, not to each other. I thought of that too SNGX1275, but the person didn't want to unplug everything and bring the box to me so I can test it here. AND for more info, it worked flawlessly here on my spare monitors, but then again, don't they all.....

think there is an issue with the monitor and video card sync'ing correctly. My comp does the same thing every 4th or 5th boot up.

SVT, how do I fix that, or are we talking either live with it or get a new monitor ??

If what Im saying is the source of your issue then your gonna have to live with..See for me when I reboot it happens, when I cold boot it doesnt happen. It only started happening when I got my GF3. My V5 never did it before..

Now that I think about it, I got my vid card and monitor around the same time. My monitor could be causing the sync'ing issue.

If the problem occurs when using the front panel power button, it probably is the power management to blame.
Maybe fiddling around with PM settings in BIOS will fix this - for example there is a setting for monitor off, which lets you choose DPMS or some other things.
How about a BIOS update?

Thanks for the advice Nodsu, I will look at that. I sometimes overlook the BIOS for some of that stuff.

Originally posted by Nodsu

How about a BIOS update?

Actually I was just about to say that... well done. Yip, I have fixed almost exactly this issue with a BIOS update at work.

Could also be poorly seated graphics card, RAM or CPU too, believe it or not.

Do you have another PSU you can test in there and see if the problem remains before reseating any components???

Originally posted by Phantasm66

Actually I was just about to say that... well done. Yip, I have fixed almost exactly this issue with a BIOS update at work.

Could also be poorly seated graphics card, RAM or CPU too, believe it or not.

Do you have another PSU you can test in there and see if the problem remains before reseating any components???

Yes I do. I have had that happen several times with componants not being seated. However, it has worked fine for a couple of weeks. He hasn't called back but I may go out and look at the some of the settings that have been suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back