Computer will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Desparetly in need of HELP!!! Computer will not boot

I have a system buit computer with asus a78nx-x 2.8mhz 80G hard drive 1G ddr 2 533 pc 2700 and running XP Pro SP2. I was working on a AutoCAd file and the sytem just restarted itself. I got a message about twenty minutes before it shut down that worm/luder.a from my antivir software which I told it to move to quarantine.

Once the computer shut down it tried to restart itself. It will run through to the check and then sceen comes up windows is loading and it restarts the whole boot from the beginning showing like motherboard name.

I tried to boot from cd and it acts as if the keyboard is not working. I also can not use the up and down arrows to select it to start in safe mode. However if I hit the delete key it will go into bios and the keyboard responds just fine.

I took the hard drive out and hooked it up to a dell that I have as a slave and I was able to to see the other user data but I could not see any of my documents. I am the administrator on my computer.

Can someone please tell me how to get this computer back up and working and how I can at least recover my documents. I was almost done with a huge project that has taken me months to complete.

Hi
If you have not already done it, re-attach the drive to the Dell and scan it and fix all virus damage. luder.a does not appear to be a destructive worm but it may have corrupted one of the windows system files.
If you boot from the Windows XP install CD it will not be infected so the problem you have with the keyboard must be something else. Did you set the bios to boot from the CD first?
Hope this helps!

to add to this - there is a really useful thread on

TechSpot OpenBoards > TS Community > Guides and Solved Issues
Guide: Bypass ACCESS DENIED error when accessing data from different XP/2000 install.

this might help you access your data?

Hello and thank you for your reply. And yes I did set it to boot from CD first. When I plugged the system built hard drive into my dell, my dell recongizes as a second hard drive, but when I try to access my folder on the system built hard drive it tells me the folder is empty but all the other user files on the system built are intact. Also when I first hooked up the the drives in the dell the dell checked both drives and they both passed. Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong? Or what am I missing? Thank you

If you are not told that the access to the files is restricted, then the folder must be empty. Guess you did not want to hear that, but is there a chance that you are looking at the wrong folder? On a drive connected like this, you need to look in documents and settings, [yourname] documents.
Or perhaps you need to set the folder views to include all files? (>Control Panel>Folder Options>View set show hidden files and folders).
You could try running a search for a file which you are confident you know the filename on this drive.
Best of luck!

do make sure that you're going into the right folder because chances are you will not be the account named Administrator

usually you can only get onto that account in safe mode as far as i know

it exists all the time and normally it won't have any files in it so do check you're in the right folder :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back