Configuring my Belkin wireless router to my new ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kua

Hi.

I didn't know where I should post this, mods please move as appropriate.

I recently changed ISP from Tiscali to Direct Save Telecom. I received a letter the other day saying that the switch had been made. However I still have the same issues as before and haven't done anything actively to 'connect' to their provider. The router is still configured to Tiscali. I'm a little confused as to how it all works.

Anyway I have been attempting to configure the router to DST, assuming this would complete the switch and halt the Tiscali usage.

So I entered 192.168.2.1 in my browser and entered the setup wizard. When asked for the ISP DST wasn't on the list and this means I have to manually enter some things. When I just tried going with the default, it wouldn't connect, only inputting the old Tiscali details reconnected me. I don't have a clue what they refer to and my DST literature doesn't suggest what I should input there:

Connection type: PPPoE, PPPoA, Dynamic/Fixed IP (1483 bridged), Static IP (IPOA), Modem Only (Disable Internet Sharing)

IP assigned by ISP: Yes/No (No opens up more fields)

VPI/VCI: Both require numerical entries

Encapsulation: VC MUX, LLC

MMU: Another numerical entry, default is 1454

Could anyone give me an idea what to enter in these fields?

I'm stumped. Thanks for your help.

is this a router-modem or one or the other?
whats the model and brand?

If its a simple router, then its mainly dependent on your modem a;readu having access to the ISP service already. Then configuring your router to use the modem as a gateway..

If its a combo unit, or the modem, then the settings you may need to tweak with. I'm not familiar in what your ISP settings are for you, since i don't live in the UK, but theres a few things to try..

-Reset your unit to manufacturer's default
-download the latest firmware from the manufacturer and update
-read/download the manual for your unit and have a read. Often it will give you explanations of what each things do and mean.
-contact your provider and ask them if they can assist you in someway..

Yes, it is a modem + wireless router. I'm not sure if this is the exact model, but it says on the front: Belkin ADSL2 + Modem with Wireless-G Router.

So I can access and configure the modem seperately, presumably using software, even though its all one unit and then just point the router towards the modem?

Thanks for the advice.

the issues will be the ADSL settings for the new ISP, not the router configuration.

Call the support number and ask all the questions in your original post!
You're right on target -- good work :)

jobeard said:
the issues will be the ADSL settings for the new ISP, not the router configuration.

Call the support number and ask all the questions in your original post!
You're right on target -- good work :)

Thanks!

Searching around I seemed to find the probable entries to these fields, but yeah I'll give 'em a buzz come Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back