Modem to Router connection

Wobwill

Hi

Many thanks for your help in advance.

My ISP is Sky in the UK. I am using a Netgear DM200 modem (+router) to connect to the ISP and am then using a cat5e cable to connect the DM200 to a D-Link DWR-953 Wireless AC1200 4G LTE Multi‑WAN Router, which I want to handle all my network traffic.

However, Sky uses PPPoA, while the D-Link does not have a setting to configure PPPoA, only allowing PPPoE.

When I set up the DM200 in modem only mode the D-Link will not see it and will not connect to the internet. My ASSUMPTION is that this is because the D-Link does not have a PPPoA configuration setting. I've tried using the D-Link wizard, setting up PPPoE, and setting up Dynamic IP Address (IPoEoA/MER(MAC Encapsulated Routed) with DHCP). None results in internet access. (I've ignored static IP and bridging mode).

I am currently set up using the DM200 in modem+router mode, but am double NAT'd (I think). The cat5e cable is plugged into the WAN port on the D-Link.

My questions are:
1. am I double NAT'd?
2. is my assumption correct?
3. if my assumption IS correct is there a solution that leads to a stable and secure internet connection with my current equipment?
4. If my assumption is incorrect, what are my options?

Many thanks again,

Will

PS - if I need to supply details / info that I haven't already please let me know.

1. am I double NAT'd?

By your description I believe you are double NAT.

2. is my assumption correct?

I think this is about PPPoE and PPPoA not being compatible. If so, yes. They are not compatible.

3. if my assumption IS correct is there a solution that leads to a stable and secure internet connection with my current equipment?

Double NAT is stable and secure unless there is something you are trying to connect to from the WAN. However you may get a strict NAT connection on some game consoles. One way around this would be to place the router in the DMZ of the modem.

4. If my assumption is incorrect, what are my options?

Another option would be to get a router/modem combo capable of PPPoA. You could also use the modem as a router and turn the router into a wireless bridge by disabling DHCP on the router and plugging it into the modem via a LAN port. This makes your modem the single NAT point. I am curious do you have problems behind double NAT?

Another option would be to get a router/modem combo capable of PPPoA. You could also use the modem as a router and turn the router into a wireless bridge by disabling DHCP on the router and plugging it into the modem via a LAN port. This makes your modem the single NAT point
I'll vouch for this choice too :)

Hi Gabriel and J,

many thanks for the response.

I am curious do you have problems behind double NAT?
I've read on How to Geek at this page: https://www.howtogeek.com/255206/how-use-your-router-and-isps-modemrouter-combo-in-tandem/ why being double NAT'd might be a problem. Prior to my current setup I was using the D-Link to connect to my Sky broadband router in the way described in the article. I bought the DM200 to resolve that issue.

Also I've had some connection issues recently, since moving to this system. Most recently I lost connection on Tuesday morning this week and in trying to resolve it found that I had the DM200 in modem+router mode and the D-Link behind the DM200 rather than directly connected to 'the internet' through the DM200. Spending several hours yesterday trying to understand how to connect the D-Link directly to the internet through the DM200 is what led to this forum post.

One way around this would be to place the router in the DMZ of the modem.
The DM200 does not have a DMZ. At least there is nothing in any of the settings called that. It does have a setting for Static Routes. EDIT: and I am able to reserve an IP address for a specific device, however, the only device connected to the DM200 is the D-Link.

You could also use the modem as a router and turn the router into a wireless bridge by disabling DHCP on the router and plugging it into the modem via a LAN port. This makes your modem the single NAT point.
This seems to put me back where I started.

Another option would be to get a router/modem combo capable of PPPoA.
I was worried that this might be the only longer term solution.

Again, many thanks for your help.

regards,

Will

Last edited:
NEVER use the DMZ choice. That leaves you only with the wirewall and antivirus for protection :(

You could also use the modem as a router and turn the router into a wireless bridge by disabling DHCP on the router and plugging it into the modem via a LAN port. This makes your modem the single NAT point.
This seems to put me back where I started.
Not all modems can perform NAT, as they expect a single device connection and not a LAN. If the modem can be set to bridge mode, then you can attach a router to it and it works correctly.

Hi J,

Thanks for the advice on the DMZ, I'll avoid!

The DM200 can be setup in Modem only mode, but when I do this I lose all internet connection at the D-Link. I think that's because the D-Link cannot configure PPPoA, only PPPoE. My ISP connection is PPPoA.

Looking at the user manual again this evening, at the modem GUI and reviewing your and Gabriel's comments I've found a discrepancy.

the user manual of the DM200 suggests I should have an option to enable and disable NAT in the 'internet' settings. However, this option does not appear in the DM200 GUI. What I do have is a NAT filtering option in the WAN settings page that can be set as secure or open - I've kept this as secure.

The IP address of the Modem is provided by my ISP. The IP address of the D-Link is 192.168.#.#, it's this that makes me think that the DM200 is capable of NAT.

Again, many thanks for the time and help with this.

Will

PS as you can no doubt tell I'm a network guru! /s :p

Last edited:
So then then you should be able to make your router an AP by disabling DHCP on the router and plugging it into your DM200 via a LAN port. As long as the DM200 supports a DHCP range of its own this will get you down to single NAT.

Last edited:
Back