Connecting to router but rarely Internet, and when I do DNS lookup fails

First of all, hello everyone. I'm new to the forum but i'm glad to be one board.

A couple of weeks ago I built a new desktop for myself but kept my old harddisk and therefore kept all my files. I upgraded to Win 7 Home Premium from Vista Home Premium as well. When I turn on my pc I connect to my router as normal but it has problems identifying the network and usually defines it as a public network (even though the network at on is definitely my private network) and promptly doesn't give me internet access. Occassionally I do manage to connect to the internet successfully, however when this happens I get an error message when opening my browser (and indeed all browsers) saying that DNS Lookup has failed.

The issue with not connecting to the network successfully appears to be ip related, as diagnosing the problem results in a message that my wireless network adapter does not has a valid ip. I have renewed my ip address to no avail.

As far as the DNS Lookup Failure goes IP and DNS are both set to assign automatically, although I have tried manually setting the DNS to Google's server (8.8.8.8) just to see what happens (nothing). I have disabled my firewalls and made sure that the browsers are allowed through. I have, of course, reset my modem several times which doesn't help. I also flushed the dns just to see if that did anything.

I've had a quick look at my router settings but I'm hesistant to change anything since I don't know much about it and I have housemates that also connect through the router.

As far as my internet adapter goes, I'm using an old D-Link g-110 which hasn't every given me any problems. I've also made sure that the drivers for this are up to date.

Any help would be wonderful, I'm quite sick of having no internet.

Thanks. :)

Just a bit more info...

Just posting things while I remember them...

I had problems connecting yesterday so fiddled with my settings for a bit. Then restarted, and connected (but still got a DNS error). However, having done exactly the same thing today I haven't been able to connect at all.

I just tried to system restore from yesterday to see if I could at least emulate that and get connected to the internet, but no dice. :(

How frustrating...

I'm assuming that your router is connected to the internet and you connect to the router to access the internet. Is this correct?

Have you tried manually assigning IP to your wireless adapter?

You have a new hardware and you used your old hdd on this new machine and upgraded the os (from vista to 7)? Before the upgrade, was the wireless adapter working properly (on vista)? Try uninstalling the software/driver of your wireless adapter then install latest software (win 7 compatible).

Your housemates have no problem accessing the internet? How are they connected, wired or wireless?

That's correct. I have indeed tried manually assigning the IP address but it didn't help. I've uninstalled all the software and subsequently updated it as well.

One housemate connected via ethernet but the other uses wireless like me and has no problems.

Try borrowing the wireless adapter of your housemate and check if it works on the your pc.
Your router may have settings like these:
attachment.php

attachment.php

And the mac address of your wireless adapter was not included in the list.

Attachments

• screen1.jpg
    screen1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 35
  • screen2.jpg
    screen2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 35
Interesting that you mention this. I had actually though to borrow it, unfortunately she's in Germany. :p

I'm going to nick my other housemate's ethernet temporarily to see if I can even connect that way.

Nothing, trying with a lan connection gives exactly the same result. The connection gets identified as a public network and I get no internet access.

Try running command prompt (cmd.exe), execute "ipconfig /all > log.txt", upload log.txt.
Press winkey, type "cmd.exe", press "ctrl+shift+enter". Execute "sfc /scannow" at command prompt.

Are you using the same router to access the internet right now? Run "ipconfig /all > log2.txt" on the pc your are using right now and then upload the log.

Nothing, trying with a lan connection gives exactly the same result. The connection gets identified as a public network and I get no internet access.

Wired connection? Can you run "ipconfig /all > log3.txt" on this setup and upload log.

I'm running off my housemate's computer right now who is using the lan cable I tested mine with before. Here's the log file for it.

I also borrowed my girlfriend's adapter to see if that made a difference (after I had installed the software for it). It appears that it hasn't...

Attachments

• log2.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 2
Run "services.msc", search for "DHCP Client" service, stop the service then start the service, do the same with DNS Client, Wired AutoConfig and WLAN AutoConfig.

On windows 7, your network type should be PRIVATE, not public.
Public is to be used when you are at a hotspot where there is hight risk from so many other users. The public/private settings alter the windows firewall rules. I think Vista also has the public/private settings.

Try borrowing the wireless adapter of your housemate and check if it works on the your pc.
Your router may have settings like these:
attachment.php

attachment.php

And the mac address of your wireless adapter was not included in the list.
WHY add more complexity and the possibility of a typo adding still another problem. IMO, do not implement MAC Filtering until things are working correctly and then you can safely go back and add filtering - - just my $0.02

WHY add more complexity and the possibility of a typo adding still another problem. IMO, do not implement MAC Filtering until things are working correctly and then you can safely go back and add filtering - - just my $0.02

What complexity did I add? Tell me, lol. Did you even understood what I was saying? I was just suggesting real world scenario based on my experience. Whats wrong with that? Or there is something wrong with you. lol.

Another possibility that could allow you to successfully connect to a wireless network and receive an ip 169.x.x.x is that the dhcp server has run out of ip to give out.

What complexity did I add? Tell me, lol. Did you even understood what I was saying? I was just suggesting real world scenario based on my experience. Whats wrong with that? Or there is something wrong with you. lol.
Personally, I use Mac filtering too, but I thought my comment was clear;
start simple and then move to the more sophisticated - - in engineering it is known as step-wise refinement :)

Personally, I use Mac filtering too, but I thought my comment was clear;
start simple and then move to the more sophisticated - - in engineering it is known as step-wise refinement :)

Btw I dont use mac filtering. If you know what you are doing, nothing is really complicated.

Btw... If you know what you are doing, nothing is really complicated.
sure - - the O.P. was posting just to keep you and I busy ;)

When I was with IBM, we were taught to disturb as little as possible less we
fix one issue and just created another.

Another engineering axiom is "The solution needs to be both Necessary and Sufficient";
  • Necessary:- in that without a feature the solution doesn't work.
  • Sufficient:- the solution solves the problem and does not add extra work

sure - - the O.P. was posting just to keep you and I busy ;)

When I was with IBM, we were taught to disturb as little as possible less we
fix one issue and just created another.

Another engineering axiom is "The solution needs to be both Necessary and Sufficient";
  • Necessary:- in that without a feature the solution doesn't work.
  • Sufficient:- the solution solves the problem and does not add extra work

Did you notice I have not suggested any noticeable changes YET? Please READ carefully and understand ALL posts.

hmm; Think I'll sit on the sidelines and watch the master at work :grin:

No no I insist you do your thing. I need to finish some quest (Skyrim) with my level 81 Breton, before I get hit by an arrow on my knee....

Back