Connecting two computers simultaneously to the internet throuh one telephone line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourabh

i have a desktop computer and a laptop and 1 telephone line. i have windows xp home edition on my laptop and windows me at my desktop. and i am living in india.

i want to run the internet on the both Simultaneously.

if i had connected to the internet on desktop and if i connect internet to my laptop, it discoonects my desktop conection and connect to the internet and vice versa.

can anyone tell me how can i share the telephone line between my desktop and my laptop.

With the help of a router, available from e.g. Netgear, Linksys, D-Link etc.
They normally allow up to 4 PCs to connect at the same time.

But you will only be able to do this if you have a high speed connection like ADSL or cable. If you are just using a modem it will be much harder, and frankly not worth it.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

I think if you just want 2 to be on at once you can use Windows Internet Connection Sharing. I *think* the XP system has to be the host (the one that dials in). Just connect the 2 computers together with a crossover cable and run the ICS wizard on the ME machine after you have got the XP one set up.

Poert - There are instances where its worth it to set it up. Currently I have 6 computers in the house, all are functional but not all have dialup modems in them, yet all have NICs. If I could connect with all of them without having to disconnect one that would be a huge benefit in itself, let alone all the convieniences of having all computers in the house networked to themselves.

I found some dialup routers on e-bay, I'm seriously considering doing this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back