Control Review: From the makers of Max Payne and Alan Wake

I imagine it still uses the fuzzy temporal upscaling seen in Quantum Break? Native resolution probably 720p and then upscaled on base PS4 hardware? They slap a 1080p UI on the top of it so you get crisp text but everything else looks fuzzy as hell.

It looked nasty in Quantum Break on Xbox One and then they forced it on PC gamers as well. This was a PC game with mandatory upscaling! I couldn't believe it at the time.

When they finally added the option to disable it performance obviously cratered.

I just hate the look of it. It makes everything look blurry and indistinct, destroys all fine details.

I imagine it still uses the fuzzy temporal upscaling seen in Quantum Break? Native resolution probably 720p and then upscaled on base PS4 hardware? They slap a 1080p UI on the top of it so you get crisp text but everything else looks fuzzy as hell.

It looked nasty in Quantum Break on Xbox One and then they forced it on PC gamers as well. This was a PC game with mandatory upscaling! I couldn't believe it at the time.

When they finally added the option to disable it performance obviously cratered.

I just hate the look of it. It makes everything look blurry and indistinct, destroys all fine details.
I just beat Quantum Break. Yeah, the up-scaling is fuzzy but it still looks decent overall IMO. Performance doesn't crater too bad with my RX Vega 56, but I left the up-scaling on for fluidity. Played on Max 1080p.

Judging by how similar the game looks, I'd wager Control is running on the same exact engine. They'll definitely push up-scaling again.

I enjoyed quantum break and this looks like decent fun but since I mainly play single player titles on pc and this is epic exclusive for a bit I'll pass...for now.

probably snag it either during a steam sale at some point or if I feel really mean just snag a used copy from gamestop.

The best game with RTX implementation so far, might as well plunge myself into Epic game store, too many good exclusives to pass.

Last edited:
Just grabbed a copy of Control from the Epic games store. Holy moly does the RTX lighting and reflections (especially the reflections!) look realistic! Basically looks completely like the reflections off the black and speckled marble/granite wall in my old office building!

I know there is so much hate for RTX, but this game Control is seriously showcasing what RTX can do now that software developers have had a year to play around with it! I thought Metro Exodus looked good, but Control is at yet another level! Absolutely stunning!

Back