LG 32GS95UE 32" Review: Dual Mode WOLED

I picked up the MSI monitor a couple of weeks ago and was wondering if I should return and wait for this one.

Looks like I’m sticking with MSI - don’t need the 480hz dual mode.

I don't know what LG is thinking with these prices which are on the wrong side of Samsung QD-OLED panels. Also, LG cut corners on features like KVM switch. Who are they targeting that wants to pay more than QD-OLED panels and get less?

Lucky Goldstar pricing is absurd. Will never buy another LG product after having 3 different LG items all fail prematurely.

To all the people crying about the cost of this LG, I called them and asked for a discount. They gave me a 15% off code simply for asking and saying that I was a returning customer (I did have an LG monitor in the past), then I got 19.5% back in rewards using Capital One rewards extensions and then Wells Fargo (one of my CCs) had a 10% back offer. So before taxes, instead of $1399, I paid $830. Just saying, use the tools that are available to you instead of just complaining. Cheers

To all the people crying about the cost of this LG, I called them and asked for a discount. They gave me a 15% off code simply for asking and saying that I was a returning customer (I did have an LG monitor in the past), then I got 19.5% back in rewards using Capital One rewards extensions and then Wells Fargo (one of my CCs) had a 10% back offer. So before taxes, instead of $1399, I paid $830. Just saying, use the tools that are available to you instead of just complaining. Cheers
If anything, that would make me even madder at LG than before… if they’re willing to give a 15% code, that means their profit margins are outrageous…

So you get mad at all products that have sales? Because that is almost all of them.
No, I get mad at a product that commands a premium price point that offers a discount immediately on release to select customers.

They are basically admitting that they don’t have to price their monitor that high.

Sales USUALLY happen after a product has been available for awhile and the company is trying to clear inventory.

A sale on a brand new product means that the price point is wrong in the first place.

Had you read the article, you’d note that the biggest beef they have with this display is its pricing…

No, I get mad at a product that commands a premium price point that offers a discount immediately on release to select customers.

They are basically admitting that they don’t have to price their monitor that high.

Sales USUALLY happen after a product has been available for awhile and the company is trying to clear inventory.

A sale on a brand new product means that the price point is wrong in the first place.

Had you read the article, you’d note that the biggest beef they have with this display is its pricing…

Not select customers. Like I said, all it took was a phone call. They didn't drill me or anything. My whole point of. posting my story was that anyone can do the same and get the discount. Most people don't even bother/know about Rakuten/Capital One/Honey, etc. for coupons as well as their CC deals and they are missing out on a LOT of free cashback on products that they are buying anyway. It's not like these discount herd you toward something you don't already want. I was just spreading the info. The ROG OLED is $1299, I believe and I am sure that coupons,etc can be found for it as well but most people don't even bother to look. Just saying that people should be educated consumers or...pay the price for not being one, that being MSRP

Not select customers. Like I said, all it took was a phone call. They didn't drill me or anything. My whole point of. posting my story was that anyone can do the same and get the discount. Most people don't even bother/know about Rakuten/Capital One/Honey, etc. for coupons as well as their CC deals and they are missing out on a LOT of free cashback on products that they are buying anyway. It's not like these discount herd you toward something you don't already want. I was just spreading the info. The ROG OLED is $1299, I believe and I am sure that coupons,etc can be found for it as well but most people don't even bother to look. Just saying that people should be educated consumers or...pay the price for not being one, that being MSRP
By not making it public - it's automatically "select customers"... there will always be tons of people who will just buy direct without looking for coupons - and companies know this and price accordingly.

And having this cost $100 more than the ASUS - which is already priced pretty dang high - is a no-go for me.

The MSI is kind of sneaky in its own right. They undercut ASUS by a few hundred dollars claiming that it would be going back to its "normal" price later (by the way, it wasn't just in the USA, I got it on sale in Canada). My guess is they'll only raise the price if it starts selling well - if not, it will remain "low".

LG continues with severely restricted brightness. Wait for ASUS model to get proper, QD-OLED comparable brightness.

LG's previous 1440p WOLED was also the dimmest of the bunch using the same panel.

If anything, that would make me even madder at LG than before… if they’re willing to give a 15% code, that means their profit margins are outrageous…
Or you could instead be a rational consumer, and realize it's only the retail price that affects you, not their profits.

In any case, your assumption is incorrect. For the last two years, OPM (operating profit margins) in LG's Home Entertainment division have ranged from -2.4% (a loss) to 6.0%.

Or you could instead be a rational consumer, and realize it's only the retail price that affects you, not their profits.
And the retail price is $100 more than the ASUS - which is better…
In any case, your assumption is incorrect. For the last two years, OPM (operating profit margins) in LG's Home Entertainment division have ranged from -2.4% (a loss) to 6.0%.
What’s the OPM on THIS monitor? Their TVs are excellent and sell at very competitive prices.

And the retail price is $100 more than the ASUS - which is better…
A rational consumer would compare the two products, and decide whether the performance and feature differences -- if any -- justify the higher cost. End of story.

By your logic, if the ASUS monitor had a 100% profit margin, you should eschew it in favor of a product with razor-thin margins, regardless of other considerations.

I have no LG monitors myself, but I do have a 75" LG QDOT TV, and, in my opinion, the image quality certainly justifies the price premium over cheaper brands.

A rational consumer would compare the two products, and decide whether the performance and feature differences -- if any -- justify the higher cost. End of story.
Indeed - and that rational consumer was me. I already gave my reasons :)
By your logic, if the ASUS monitor had a 100% profit margin, you should eschew it in favor of a product with razor-thin margins, regardless of other considerations.
Of course not - don’t put words in my mouth. Assuming both products are in competition with each other (which these are), costs tend to be very similar and prices reflect that. When a company thinks that their product is better, or if their costs are higher, they raise the price (and vice versa).

If you are looking for a 4k @240Hz display, price is crucial since all of the panels EXCEPT the LG are Samsung panels (and are basically the same). If your display of choice is more expensive, it better have some features / quality that makes it worth it.

As this review states, the LG is no better than the MSI or Asus…. Therefore… buying it at a $100 premium is foolish.

The argument of “LG’s costs were higher so they had to raise the price” falls flat when you hear about discounts already available straight from LG. This means that the price premium is simply because LG thinks they can get away with it - hence the anger here :)
I have no LG monitors myself, but I do have a 75" LG QDOT TV, and, in my opinion, the image quality certainly justifies the price premium over cheaper brands.
They make wonderful TVs - I’m not arguing that. They also tend to be the same price or cheaper than competitors like Sony… but they’ve gotten greedy here.

Indeed - and that rational consumer was me. I already gave my reasons :)

Of course not - don’t put words in my mouth. Assuming both products are in competition with each other (which these are), costs tend to be very similar and prices reflect that. When a company thinks that their product is better, or if their costs are higher, they raise the price (and vice versa).

If you are looking for a 4k @240Hz display, price is crucial since all of the panels EXCEPT the LG are Samsung panels (and are basically the same). If your display of choice is more expensive, it better have some features / quality that makes it worth it.

As this review states, the LG is no better than the MSI or Asus…. Therefore… buying it at a $100 premium is foolish.

The argument of “LG’s costs were higher so they had to raise the price” falls flat when you hear about discounts already available straight from LG. This means that the price premium is simply because LG thinks they can get away with it - hence the anger here :)

They make wonderful TVs - I’m not arguing that. They also tend to be the same price or cheaper than competitors like Sony… but they’ve gotten greedy here.

Unless...

"As this review states, the LG is no better than the MSI or Asus…. Therefore… buying it at a $100 premium is foolish."

Like it was mentioned before in this thread, you choose the product that's better for you since we should all be very subjective when choosing a product. If you want and can take advantage of 480Hz at 1080p for your fast-paced games, and/or want a better looking (also subjective) monitor, and/or want a clean desk setup with actually decent speaker technology, and deeper black levels than the grey-looking ASUS, that this LG offers, then you buy the LG and now (discounts aside), $100 isn't what you tout it to be all of a sudden.

Unless...

"As this review states, the LG is no better than the MSI or Asus…. Therefore… buying it at a $100 premium is foolish."

Like it was mentioned before in this thread, you choose the product that's better for you since we should all be very subjective when choosing a product. If you want and can take advantage of 480Hz at 1080p for your fast-paced games, and/or want a better looking (also subjective) monitor, and/or want a clean desk setup with actually decent speaker technology, and deeper black levels than the grey-looking ASUS, that this LG offers, then you buy the LG and now (discounts aside), $100 isn't what you tout it to be all of a sudden.
Of course - there are always people who want specific things and will pay any premium for them… by the way, black levels are virtually indistinguishable on all of the OLED monitors…

Speakers are nice - but I’d rather have the kvm connection and usb-c port… again, depends on what you want.

My anger at LG comes from the fact that they could have chosen to sell at the same price as Asus (the discount coupons prove this) but chose not to.

Personally, I went MSI because it’s virtually identical to the Asus and $300 cheaper.

Of course - there are always people who want specific things and will pay any premium for them… by the way, black levels are virtually indistinguishable on all of the OLED monitors…

It's not a matter of OLED vs OLED. It's a matter of Rog's QD-OLED shortcoming vs LG's WOLED. Watch the video below and the contrast (pun intended) is quite clear (starting at 6:21 minute mark)

Not dogging your MSI choice. It's a fine monitor that seems perfect for your needs.

It's not a matter of OLED vs OLED. It's a matter of Rog's QD-OLED shortcoming vs LG's WOLED. Watch the video below and the contrast (pun intended) is quite clear (starting at 6:21 minute mark)

Not dogging your MSI choice. It's a fine monitor that seems perfect for your needs.
Yeah - but that’s only with a light source behind your monitor… if you’re in a properly dimly lit room (like I have), the blacks are virtually indistinguishable.

Again, whatever the customer wants… but if you’re gonna get one of these, you should use it in a proper setting…

If the LG cost the same, I’d understand people buying it - for me, I need the ports the MSI and Asus have, so I’d need it to be even cheaper for it to be viable.

The only reason I could see for the LG at a higher price is if you must have the dual mode… but that seems to be quite the small niche…

Yeah - but that’s only with a light source behind your monitor… if you’re in a properly dimly lit room (like I have), the blacks are virtually indistinguishable.

Again, whatever the customer wants… but if you’re gonna get one of these, you should use it in a proper setting…

If the LG cost the same, I’d understand people buying it - for me, I need the ports the MSI and Asus have, so I’d need it to be even cheaper for it to be viable.

The only reason I could see for the LG at a higher price is if you must have the dual mode… but that seems to be quite the small niche…

I completely agree with all of that. I do think that LG should have added the KVM with the charging via USB-C to be ideal, especially considering their price. The rest, I don't mind. Matte panel, etc.

That 1080p 480 Hz mode is a gimmick. Image qualtiy is very soft when you use it.

1080p on 32 inch is garbage to begin with, but here, 4 pixels turns to 1 making it even worse than native 1080p on 32 inch.

Back