Converting .iso to .avi

monkeychef23

Hi everyone,

So I have a movie that is currently in the .iso format, but I would like to make it into a small, high quality .avi file so I can play it on the go. Anyone have any suggestions (software wise obviously) to convert the iso to avi?

Hi everyone,

So I have a movie that is currently in the .iso format, but I would like to make it into a small, high quality .avi file so I can play it on the go. Anyone have any suggestions (software wise obviously) to convert the iso to avi?
~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are plenty plenty of freeware programs to do that. Simply Google "convert iso to avi" without the quote marks.

I don't know if this is the easiest way, but I would mount the ISO with something like VirtualCloneDrive and then use something like Handbrake to convert it. Handbrake isn't going to get you the divx/xvid that you want though, its more for h.264.

So I don't have the exact answer you want, but I do know that mounting the ISO as a virtual dvd or whatever it is (likely dvd, maybe hddvd or bluray) will allow you to use programs that will take a disk and rip it to an "avi".

Alright, I have mounted it and converted it, but its 4 seperate files. when i attempt to combine them with easy video joiner, it crashes...not good.

So whats the problem with 4 different files? Doesnt this provide you with what you needed originally? Are they all AVI files?

Now if you were then trying to burn them a dvd, I'd use ConvertXtoDVD. Not the greatest but has seemed the most reliable to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an ".iso" file is a disc image. As such it doesn't really have a true file extension, or video file extension identity of it's own. It's just a disc "template", if you will. The ".iso" could produce any number of video file extension. But you do have to try and burn it to find out what's there. Live a little!~ Take a huge leap of faith, and gamble an enormous amount of material, slap a twenty cent DVD blank in the burner and see what you get.

Captain, you know you are correct.. but way to go being polite in all. ;)

I typed out this long post.. but strangely when I hit enter my finger slipped and Chrome closed... wtf did I hit? ....anyways...

Additional steps may be required... monkeychef, we need the file contents, or we just need to know if the files are AVI inside the ISO.

It's possible you ended up with something like the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files... but I'm also confused as to why you would have the dvd in an ISO to begin with... unless of course a friend assisted you.

CC- A just figured that a 'movie that is currently in the ISO format' meant he got a DVD image. Now I guessed he wanted that down to a 700 meg (maybe 2x 700) xvid for whatever reason. Assumptions yes, but generally when you hear someone asking how to get a movie iso to an avi this is what they are talking about.

I suggested in my post mounting it with VCD or something similar just so he could use a program that rips dvds to a smaller format. I suggested handbrake because its simple, but its going to get you an h.264 encoded video which limits the number of devices you can play it on - for example, many dvd players now will play xvid/divx but won't play h.264.

So - I guess if you must use divx/xvid '.avi' as the final output format, then here is a tutorial: http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/dvdrip/243-how-to-rip-dvd-to-h264-xvid-using-staxrip

Returning an .iso file to its former file extension, is something that's isn't normally done.

And yes SNGX, you could certainly "mount" the file with a CD/DVD emulator. IMO, it's much easier, (and safer, with respect to the threat of malware), to find a free DVD ripper, than an emulator program. (I've been looking for a free one of those, that will work with windows 7 myself. Also I'd like to be able to mount some of my ancient CD games with it, such as "M$ FS-2004 ).

So, the years and years old, (freeware) "DVD Decrypter", (available here at TS) will print the .iso, then enable you to create a DVD-Video folder. If the folder is in other video formats, then a simple "copy and paste" operation will place the files on the HDD, where you would then be able to convert them to whatever format your little heart may desire.

Oh, and the print to DVD, then re-rip to folder, or copy and paste operation would be lossless.

All that remains is to decide is which freebie video file converter would get the go ahead to create the wanted .avi files.

I think the "free DVD ripper" you speak of is Staxrip that was in my link. I know DVDShrink and DVDdecrypter could open ISOs, so if Staxrip can open ISOs then he wouldn't need to mount them with VCD. I don't know if it can though, I've never used it.

But simply decrypting/making files on your hard drive isn't accomplishing what he wants. The ISO is probably already decrypted, so mounting it or opening with something like WinRAR in essence does the same thing as setting the files on your hard drive. They'd still need to be converted, and I'd argue that dealing with several VOBs on an individual basis and trying to get 1 solid movie out of it is much more difficult than letting the program see a DVD and rip/transcode it, that is after all what they are designed to do.

I think all DVD->AVI type programs are going to be able to handle the actual disk (unless it is encrypted, but in this dude's case since he has the ISO its likely not encrypted). So mounting the image with VCD (which is free and works in Win 7) is a good suggestion.

you can easly join 4 avi file using windows movie maker in win 7 ultimate
Isn't "Windows Movie Maker" in the other editions as well? I suppose if I ever deal with trying the subject of this thread I'd know the answer to that.

Oddy though, I seem to recall this program present in XP Home.

yes but some windows versions dont have windows movie maker, I am using win 7 ultimate and sure to join splitted videos. I dont know other movie maker versions capable of this feature.

ConvertX takes a video file and makes it to a DVD, which is opposite of what this dude is wanting to do.

yes but some windows versions dont have windows movie maker, I am using win 7 ultimate and sure to join splitted videos. I dont know other movie maker versions capable of this feature.
Windows Movie Maker is now part of Windows Live Essentials, not Windows itself.

Back