Cooler Master's thermal paste tubes were redesigned because parents thought their kids...

Polycount

Staff
WTF?! When most people look at Cooler Master's thermal paste tubes, they see a simple, essential product that will help their system run properly. However, according to Cooler Master, some individuals -- parents, specifically -- see something quite different. The company recently changed the shape of its classic thermal paste applicator tubes from a syringe to a more brush-like alternative because it was "getting tired of having to explain [to] parents that their kid isn't using drugs."

You read that right. Cooler Master altered the design of its product because parents, for some reason, saw the tubes lying around and concluded that their kids must be shooting up thermal paste.

We're not sure if Cooler Master is joking with this tweet. It seems pretty likely due to the ridiculousness of the claim (and it's an amusing joke if so), but that would imply that the rest of their tweet is serious -- the bit about the new design making thermal paste easier to apply, to be specific. If the company does feel that way, we can point toward plenty of PC enthusiasts that might disagree.

The classic wisdom for thermal paste application has always been to put a pea-sized dot in the middle, and leave it be. You don't need to spread thermal paste around your CPU like butter on toast, and indeed, applying too much of the substance can even be counterproductive. Cooler Master should know this better than anyone, in theory, but who knows? Perhaps the new look is secretly pure genius, and maybe other thermal paste makers will be quick to copy it. Time will tell.

Regardless, only a few of Cooler Master's thermal paste tubes appear to have received this new design: the Mastergel, Mastergel Pro, and Mastergel Maker. All of the company's other "thermal grease" products are untouched for now.

Permalink to story.

Seriously parents?!?! You could just Google the name of the product on the label to know what it does? Also, if your kids are doing drugs, they're not going to leave them lying around in exactly the same way that people are not going to give your kids their edibles during Halloween.

Seriously parents?!?! You could just Google the name of the product on the label to know what it does? Also, if your kids are doing drugs, they're not going to leave them lying around in exactly the same way that people are not going to give your kids their edibles during Halloween.

Right, because kids always leave their drugs in a container marked ILLEGAL DRUGS.

I like the design. Can I buy an empty one and fill it with my favorite Kryonaut Thermal Paste after all cooler masters paste sucks in comparison.

I prefer Thermal Grizzly, It's expensive but It's hard sh*t.
And remember children - definitely stay on the safe side and only snort it....[ ]...
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are many drugs which are highly addictive, even when used intranasaly, and not injected. :eek: I suppose it remains to be seen if thermal paste is one of them.

And then there's the concomitant and nasty nose bleeds, which are inevitable.

Did you know that almost all american paper currency tests positive for cocaine residue? (Or so they say).;)

Last edited:
While the reasoning is stupid beyond all logic, the result is actually kinda cool! More TIM makers should offer a tube like this.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are many drugs which are highly addictive, even when used intranasaly, and not injected. :eek: I suppose it remains to be seen if thermal paste is one of them.

And then there's the concomitant and nasty nose bleeds, which are inevitable.

Did you know that almost all american paper currency tests positive for cocaine residue? (Or so they say).;)
You know they use topical cocaine hydrochloride, to stop prolong nosebleeds.its available in 4% and 10% solutions and has both topical anesthetic and vasoconstrictive effects as a single agent.

You'd think if they got all the way to complaining to CM they must have used Google just to get there and at any point in that process clicked on or saw something that showed them the CM makes cooling products and other PC related hardware/accessories...

Honestly though, this will likely just give kids the wrong idea, if parents think something is a drug and isn't a drug some kid somewhere is going to try to use it as a drug. That being said, I think hot knifing thermal paste would yield the best results, but you might want to use the thicker stuff, IC Diamond should be good.

Honestly though, this will likely just give kids the wrong idea, if parents think something is a drug and isn't a drug some kid somewhere is going to try to use it as a drug. That being said, I think hot knifing thermal paste would yield the best results, but you might want to use the thicker stuff, IC Diamond should be good.
Still, it would probably be way safer than eating Tide Pods...(y) (Y)

(Which BTW, didn't take much provocation to get kidz to try).

Coolermaster: We didn't change the shape of the syringe to make applying thermal paste a lot easier

"We're not sure if Cooler Master is joking with this tweet. It seems pretty likely due to the ridiculousness of the claim (and it's an amusing joke if so), but that would imply that the rest of their tweet is serious -- the bit about the new design making thermal paste easier to apply..."

I didn't get that feeling. I took it as the change has nothing to do with improving the product, but only to satisfy Mom.

My opinion on the product is I hate it. It's 100% usable, but I prefer a tighter hole...

I went to school with kids that would might actually abuse this stuff. They were glue sniffers.

Lmao those must be some retarded parents if they think thermal paste is drugs. I feel sorry for the kids that have to deal with parents with room temperature IQs.

I've heard that der8auer is sniffing up some thermal paste... Is he now also working with Cooler Master? They could make a sniffle-friendly tube...

I went to school with kids that would might actually abuse this stuff. They were glue sniffers.
This is why I like Arctic's "CPU preparation & cleaner kit". It smells lemony fresh and nice.

I went to dances with a kid we called, "Carl the Huffer". Of course this was in the days before Testor's modified their formula. If you want a quick buzz, you can still buy Methyl Ethyl Ketone by the gallon at Home Depot. You most likely will be stopped at the register if you're not 21.

I still haven't stopped laughing until I thought about it. I have yet to see a current or any other version of the "big book of parenthood" .... young parents today simply don't have the advantage of the knowledge and experience their parents or grandparents had BUT they are starting to experience what we did .... that gap between the level of technology they understand vs. what their kids understand.

We used to talk about the "half life" of a college degree, first measured in decades, then years, now months if not days. Finding a media that will keep them all informed is nearly impossible because of such diverse taste in ... everything. With news outlets (news not news "shows") shrinking and zero control over what is fed through so many junk sites the problem promises to get more and more of a problem.

If I find my offspring with a tube of thermal paste I would be so proud. Thermal Grizzly would be icing on the came. Seems companies are finding clever ways for marketing these days.

Back