Core i5-13500 Review: Intel's New $250 Mid-Range Weapon

It's a disgrace for intel that they still don't provide a decent cooler with their offerings. It's diappointing to see an entry level chip seeing thermal throttling with the boxed cooler.

It's a disgrace for intel that they still don't provide a decent cooler with their offerings. It's diappointing to see an entry level chip seeing thermal throttling with the boxed cooler.

What do you call more expensive offer from AMD with NO cooler in the box?! Yea, let's not mention that...AMD are "good guys"

smh...

I wish the Cost-per-Frame price total would include the cost of a cooler. For example, it does not seem like a fair comparison between a 7700 (cooler included) and 7700X (need to buy). That adds at least $50 to the cost of some of the processors combos. A $50 cooler raises the 7700X by 7.5%. A more likely cooler cost is $100 and raises that cost 15%.

What do you call more expensive offer from AMD with NO cooler in the box?! Yea, let's not mention that...AMD are "good guys"

smh...
Yet the cheaper options from AMD actually do include a good cooler, which is what OP asked for.

Talking about "AMD good guys"....well, I honestly dont know how a person can even use those words together in a sentence when its about Intel and nvidia yet its still possible to be used with AMD.

7600s do not include cooler. OP didn't ask for anything, in fact, he was just sh**** on intel over nothing. Box cooler on either side was never a good option. Also, when AMD is hitting 90s (Celsius) it's by design. When intel hits 90s and lowers clocks (like AMD does) then it's bad. Never mind that ~$30 aftermarket cooler would keep temps in-check. You need one for AMD 7600 too.

edit: Intel shouldn't include coolers and problem solved. AMD solved it that way.

7600s do not include cooler. OP didn't ask for anything, in fact, he was just sh**** on intel over nothing. Box cooler on either side was never a good option. Also, when AMD is hitting 90s (Celsius) it's by design. When intel hits 90s and lowers clocks (like AMD does) then it's bad. Never mind that ~$30 aftermarket cooler would keep temps in-check. You need one for AMD 7600 too.

edit: Intel shouldn't include coolers and problem solved. AMD solved it that way.
Have you read the article? 13500 thermal throttle kicks in within a minute! Also as stated in the article 7600 comes with wraith stealth with which it does not thermal throttle!

Yea my bad, there is an option with and without cooler for 7600, this is it's cooler performance:

great performance.
edit: lol

"immediately spikes over 90C" and throttles :D

Last edited:
Has nothing to do about performance for me anymore, intel is a shady company. I will avoid them until I can’t anymore.

And this is why Intel posted a record loss quarter. Do better. Crypto bubble is gone, you're going to have to be a consumer oriented company. You don't get to dictate as seller what the market wants as a buyer, not when demand drops.

You will put out a top gaming CPU at this price, unlocked, with lower price motherboards, like it was 10 years ago, and you'll be happy with it. You better deliver 2500k type value again.

FYI: The "Cost per Frame" chart is mistakenly captioned "Higher is better". Looks like a copy / paste error.

For me boxed coolers are e-waste, why do they still bundle those with latest generations of CPU's I don't know, should be available separate only. I can understand Dell, HP, Lenovo office workstations. 25-65W CPU's for office machines are ok with boxed coolers. Gaming CPU's should come in two options, with or without IHS.

Basically if you are a child and only play games the 7600X is fine, if you do actual work as well it's an easy win for 13500. 7600X needs to be a $199, 7700, $299, 7700X $349, 7900 $409, 7900X $459, 7950X $509.

For productivity Raptor Lake is killing it. And you can reduce power consumption a lot on RL too and still get great performance, but it doesn't scale as well at low power, Zen 4 is much better. The Zen 4 X parts now look poor value with poor efficiency.

The 'platform costs' so recently beloved of the tech press (since AM5 motherboards came out) seems to deliberately ignore the costs of cooling a system, which can sometimes be around $150-$200 for the hotter things there....

“ Had the Intel CPU offered more value for gamers, then it would make the choice a lot harder, but the fact that you need DDR5 memory to compete with the 7600, and DDR4 doesn't help much with the value equation anyway…”

Doesn’t the 7600 require DDR5 to though? Seems like an odd thing to complain about.

“ Had the Intel CPU offered more value for gamers, then it would make the choice a lot harder, but the fact that you need DDR5 memory to compete with the 7600, and DDR4 doesn't help much with the value equation anyway…”

Doesn’t the 7600 require DDR5 to though? Seems like an odd thing to complain about.

This is pretty clear in the Cost per Frame chart. Value for gaming: i5-13500 with DDR5 < i5-13500 with DDR4 < 7600 with DDR5

i5/DDR5 costs the same as 7600 with DDR5 (also shown in the same chart) but the i5/DDR5 gets worse FPS. That is why its value is less for gaming. You can go cheaper with i5/DDR4, but the lower price ($495 vs $560) does not make up for the lower FPS (182 vs. 221).

If you are a gamer, 7600 is the best value of these three options. You can choose i5 for productivity wins, but then your gaming performance will suffer. And if you choose 7600 for gaming wins, then your productivity performance will suffer.

To be honest though, even if you go 7600 you will still have great productivity performance and even if you go i5-13500 you will still have great gaming performance. Then there are other factors like your preference of one company over the other, platform longevity, CPU upgrade path, overclocking, etc. Pick the chip you like and enjoy it.

Basically if you are a child and only play games the 7600X is fine, if you do actual work as well it's an easy win for 13500. 7600X needs to be a $199, 7700, $299, 7700X $349, 7900 $409, 7900X $459, 7950X $509.

For productivity Raptor Lake is killing it. And you can reduce power consumption a lot on RL too and still get great performance, but it doesn't scale as well at low power, Zen 4 is much better. The Zen 4 X parts now look poor value with poor efficiency.

What's childish is thinking games are only for children, but different discussion.

If you're worried about productivity, grab a 7700. It's about $80 more, but includes a good box cooler (for "real" work you'd have to buy one separately for the 13500), so the difference is more like $30, and that buys you an upgrade path with AMD that you won't have with Intel.

What's childish is thinking games are only for children, but different discussion.

If you're worried about productivity, grab a 7700. It's about $80 more, but includes a good box cooler (for "real" work you'd have to buy one separately for the 13500), so the difference is more like $30, and that buys you an upgrade path with AMD that you won't have with Intel.

I generally avoid internet arguments but I did chuckle at that. What is productivity? Is it youtube streaming?

Because the "work" I'm familiar with, law, accounting, medicine, finance, engineering, devs/programmers, none of that requires serious computing. Low end hardware is perfectly good enough and most places in fact use just that. Obviously blue collar work won't need it either. Academics don't either.

So for the vast majority of employed, normal people, they only need to build for gaming.

And even for that professional "productivity" group, employers would generally provide the hardware so why would they have to build? And these companies will use enterprise hardware, they don't buy retail consumer products.

So the only group left I guess is that insecure group that needs to attack other people for using their disposable income for their hobbies/entertainment, to compensate for their lack of employment.

For those of you that are in fact professionals that need the productivity hardware for your own business needs, I am sure you have the revenues to cover for the hardware and are happy with what you do, and don't need to attack strangers on the internet for your hobbies. I have full respect for you guys. I'm specifically laughing at the dudes attacking other people while clearly having issues.

I generally avoid internet arguments but I did chuckle at that. What is productivity? Is it youtube streaming?

Because the "work" I'm familiar with, law, accounting, medicine, finance, engineering, devs/programmers, none of that requires serious computing. Low end hardware is perfectly good enough and most places in fact use just that. Obviously blue collar work won't need it either. Academics don't either.

So for the vast majority of employed, normal people, they only need to build for gaming.

And even for that professional "productivity" group, employers would generally provide the hardware so why would they have to build? And these companies will use enterprise hardware, they don't buy retail consumer products.

So the only group left I guess is that insecure group that needs to attack other people for using their disposable income for their hobbies/entertainment, to compensate for their lack of employment.

For those of you that are in fact professionals that need the productivity hardware for your own business needs, I am sure you have the revenues to cover for the hardware and are happy with what you do, and don't need to attack strangers on the internet for your hobbies. I have full respect for you guys. I'm specifically laughing at the dudes attacking other people while clearly having issues.
Being productive is a meme started by inexperienced people who don't know what it means to be an adult. They got the idea from watching movies and YouTube videos where a supposedly succesful person is on a laptop typing something, aka being productive.

Back