Core i5-3570k overclocked automatically? Do I need a custom cooler?

TheDevopsGuy

Few Questions

My Cpu is an intel i5-3570k it should be 3.4 ghz and Maxes to 3.8

something in the bios seems to make my cpu take benefit in games and gets my cpu up to 4.1 ghz sometimes

I am using the Stock Cooler

Max temp ive seen atm is like 41Celcius

when will I be looking at problems which temeprature should be the stop point and which will be making my chip degrade

any help would be grateful

I bet you have an ASUS motherboard, they have preset OCs. 41C is fine, but I would recommend buying this cooler just to stay safe: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&Tpk=hyper 212 evo&IsVirtualParent=1
It will extend the life of the CPU. Plus, disable turbo boost when OCing.
If you want to go beyond the 4.5GHz mark (look for safe OCs online first), buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018
Note: Sometimes heavily overclocked CPUs have a shortened life.

I would start worrying at about 80C, otherwise you're fine IMO and don't need to spend money on a cooler. (That is 80C under load)
It's not really necessary to disable turbo boost, especially with the stock cooler.

Im wanting to know if its safe cause I mainly just play basic games but when battlefield 4 comes out I will definatly need to keep the cpu up to 4.1 at all time and I need to know at what temp il be having problems

The motherboard is a http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3897#ov

it automaticly changes my frequency depending on the power options I do on the control panel at power saver it keeps it steady at 1.75 ghz-2.5

balanced- normal hovering 3-3.6ghz

high performance-4.14ghz ect

Program I use to calculate heat is SpeedFan

at idle most cores at at 28-32 celcius at Power saving option that is and after loading I see figures on 40s but I doubt the fan is going full speed on the cpu

Dont use the power saving option, that will kill your performance in game. The game doesnt necessarily effect the temperature of the CPU, very minimally if any.

Download the stress tool and see what your temps are when the CPU is fully loaded on high performance. There is no way of knowing until you fully load the CPU the way you are wanting it to run.

Dont use the power saving option, that will kill your performance in game. The game doesnt necessarily effect the temperature of the CPU, very minimally if any.
to that I agree I only play games on power saver on league of legends because neighter if im 1.75ghz or 4.1ghz I see no difference as im always at 60fps at all times

to that I agree I only play games on power saver on league of legends because neighter if im 1.75ghz or 4.1ghz I see no difference as im always at 60fps at all times
1) LoL is an old game that doesnt utilize more than 1 core, maybe 2 cores.
2) LoL is not graphically intensive and you probably have a powerful GPU that keeps it at 60FPS. Plus you have Vsync enabled.
Play more modern games like BF3 and you will see the difference. Check out TS benchmarks. For example, OCing an i7 3770K from 3.5 to 4.5 GHz gains you 10FPS in some modern games.

1) LoL is an old game that doesnt utilize more than 1 core, maybe 2 cores.
2) LoL is not graphically intensive and you probably have a powerful GPU that keeps it at 60FPS. Plus you have Vsync enabled.
Play more modern games like BF3 and you will see the difference. Check out TS benchmarks. For example, OCing an i7 3770K from 3.5 to 4.5 GHz gains you 10FPS in some modern games.
as I said that is why I lower the frequency lol can be run with a simple dual core... and a cheap graphics card even a geforce 6800 can do the job

Back