Correct mobo for Latitude D800

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbearren

My Dell Latitude D800 was built in May, 2003. I've lately been experiencing hardware issues related to the motherboard and/or graphics card. When I have visited the Dell Parts site and entered my service tag I've gotten as many as three Dell part numbers for the motherboard (currently only showing X1029). I've had about the same results with the graphics card.

I haven't been able to find out much about specs on any particular motherboard by Dell part number, and some conflicting information from different Dell parts resellers. I'm fairly certain it's an intel 855PM chipset, and it has a separate graphics card, so I'm also fairly certain that it doesn't have integrated graphics. I'm probably going to replace the motherboard and the graphics card.

I've run the Dell diagnostics CD several times and get a clean bill of health, but on powerup I more often than not get a ghostly white screen with no visible POST. I can get it to POST and boot into XP after a few attempts, but it's getting more and more difficult, and I've gotten BSOD's with all sorts of error codes (and never the same one twice in succession). I've ran several passes of Memtest 86+ with no errors. I have current drive images for backup, so I'm not worried about losing anything.

I've located an nVidia GeForce GeForce FX Go5650 that I'm fairly certain will fit my current board, but I'm unsure about a replacement motherboard. Is there a reliable part number somewhere on the board that will steer me in the right direction?

Thanks

The problem with the X1029 Dell part number is that I've seen a number of Dell motherboards on the net with that same Dell part number that don't have the same port configuration as mine or even each other. And the same Dell page that's showing the X1029 today had the X1029 and two other different part numbers listed as suggested replacements just a couple of days ago. All three had only a Dell emblem in a blue circle as an image, and nothing of any use listed on the tech specs. I'd like to have a little bit more information to go by before I place my order.

I don't know where you are located, but you can call "The Parts-People" in Texas and ask them. I have a Dell laptop with them now. They are good with Dell's

I've ordered a graphics card, should be here Monday or Tuesday. I may be able to get by without a new motherboard. I can operate in low resolution VGA, so I think the motherboard may be OK. I'll find out soon enough.

It was definitely the graphics card. My nVidia FX 5650 Go finally arrived today and I got it installed. The laptop booted up perfectly. I got the updated drivers from Dell and installed them, and everything is working great now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back