Cost Per Frame: Best Value Graphics Cards in Early 2023

Nice overview, thanks.
I would appreciate also seeing a power consumption per frame being included. At least in Europe, energy costs are becoming significant, this means that it's not just the cost of the card at play, but the running costs, comparing power usage per frame would also be a great measurement. Would be nice to see in the future if possible.

I recall one of Nvidia CEOs saying something about keeping GPU stock low artificially. I have a strong feeling it is them who are responsible for high prices.
Oh god, not this again. Every manufacturer in the world adjusts production to ensure they remain profitable. Last year (which will be a far more profitable one for NVidia than this one, by all accounts) NVidia's net margins were something like 21%. Meaning that, even if they gave the GPU to AIB makers at cost, leaving no profit for themselves whatsoever, board prices would only drop by roughly 10% or so.

Demand has dropped. Due to the inexorable law of supply and demand, if NVidia keeps production running full-tilt, board prices will drop by 50% or more -- but they'd take a sharp loss on each one sold. That's not why companies do business.

So if you had let's say
- AMD reference design 7900 xtx for 1179 vs
- Asus Strix 4080 OC for 1280,

Which one you would buy?
And do not say, either, just pick one.

This review clearly shows the sh*tstorm we, as consumers, are trying to navigate in.
New cards have worse value than previous generation? Big step down and makes releasing new products look completely stupid.
And things like the 3050? Why does it even exist with such a horrible value?
If Intel could introduce a 4060-4070 grade cards on the market for $300-$500 in large volume, I'd surely buy one. Both AMD and Nvidia deserves a merciless kick in the butt. I'd enjoy watching Intel deliver that...

Tim, I realise that you did the best that anyone could but because of the current situation, there's no way that this chart will be even remotely accurate by next month. I think that this was a fool's errand because last-gen's MSRP is completely irrelevant, the MSRP of the RTX 4070 Ti will only be relevant for the first month or two (if that) and the scalper prices of last-gen are always in flux. It's like herding cats because just when you think you have them, they all take off in different directions.

It's terrible what consumers have had to deal with but we're the ones who created this situation and only we can fix it. If you have a high-end card, use it until it can barely game at 1080p. By then, you'll be able to replace it for about half of what you paid for it. Sure, it'll suck for a bit, but once it's done, it's done. The situation will be fixed and the GPU makers will think twice before pulling this crap again.

So if you had let's say

Which one you would buy?
If you don't care about ray-tracing or any of the Nvidia only stuff (DLSS, Nvidia broadcast etc...) then stick to the 7900 XTX.

If you do care about ray-tracing and DLSS, pick Nvidia.

Power consumption wise the 4080 is actually more efficient and uses less power if you need to add that into your decision.

Personally, I'd go with the 4080.

When the stockmarket once began, it was a means for companies to gather funds for investments. It was believed that if the company served the market (customers) well, it would flourish in the long term and share holders would reap the benefits.

Now some big companies seem to think that they foremost need to think of (short term) benefits for share holders, and that customers just need to follow, believe marketing, and pony up for what is offered (whether it's a good deal or not, and whether the product/service works or not). We'll see if that is a sound long term strategy.

This review clearly shows the sh*tstorm we, as consumers, are trying to navigate in.
New cards have worse value than previous generation? Big step down and makes releasing new products look completely stupid.
If Intel could introduce a 4060-4070 grade cards on the market for $300-$500 in large volume, I'd surely buy one. Both AMD and Nvidia deserves a merciless kick in the butt. I'd enjoy watching Intel deliver that...
Intel is too busy making **** CPUs nobody's gonna buy. You'll be waiting for quite a while...

My setup fast 2080 rtx G7 240hz 27inch 1440p and I was thinking that I can't get my frames at 1440p and its true !!then I decided to give a try to my monitor at 1080p !!oops I got 300 fps !!who gives a **** for new high end Gpu with higher price than a new Pc !!no thanks I will play 1080p to my monitor until prices go under 1000 for top gpu !!

I recall one of Nvidia CEOs saying something about keeping GPU stock low artificially. I have a strong feeling it is them who are responsible for high prices.
It's actually the consumers who are willing to pay whatever for an nVidia GPU who are to blame. There are people who will buy nVidia GPUs even when it's against their own best interest. I even once heard of a guy who bought a GTX 1650 despite the fact that it's completely outperformed by the RX 6400 and RX 6500 XT at the same price or is completely destroyed for a slightly higher price by the RX 6600, one of the best value cards out there. I'll never truly understand the thought processes that some of these people have when they're making these terrible decisions.

Consumers have given nVidia control of the market and have also demonstrated to Jensen that no price is too high for a video card in a green box. Then they try to say that AMD is also to blame which is completely absurd because these same customers refused Radeon cards no matter how much better they were at their budget's price point. It's no wonder that AMD said "Fine, we're not going to try pulling the prices down anymore because you self-centred a-holes don't appreciate it or deserve it!".

Speaking of which, since they're still widely available as new cards, I believe that the GeForce GTX 1650 and GTX 1660-series cards should be included in lists like this.
It would be very nice if there were 5-6 GPU makers.
I remember when there actually were. In addition to ATi and nVidia, there was Matrox, Diamond, Orchid, Oak, S3 and 3dfx.
So if you had let's say

Which one you would buy?
I'd take the RX 7900 XTX in a heartbeat. No question.
We consumers created this sh*tstorm by demonstrating ignorance instead of self-control.
Ask Steve Walton. He gave it a score of 80 while giving the RX 6600 XT a score of 60. He's been shilling so hard for nVidia lately that it has made me sick. Funny how they don't talk about that though, eh?
If you're expecting Intel to come to the rescue, then either you haven't been around all that long or you have a really short memory. Intel was the original price-gouger and used to have the same position in CPUs that nVidia has in GPUs. When AMD released the Ryzen 7 1800X in 2017, the only 8-core CPU on the market from Intel, the i7-6900K cost $1100. Their 10-core variant, the i7-6950X, cost a whopping $1700! It was AMD that came to the rescue with Ryzen.

What, did you think that Intel had ethics? OMG, that's rich! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
3060ti been the best card I've bought in a WHILE, and I have had lots of cards before it

Made around $3k with it mining and now its still a powerhouse just chilling waiting for me to fire up a game once in a blue moon.

So if you had let's say

Which one you would buy?
For $100 I'd buy the 4080. Better RT performance and no worries as to whether you'll have to RMA the board due to bad vapor chamber.

But neither of them are a good value or even a good deal. Wait 6 months, both cards will be below $1000.

Tim, I realise that you did the best that anyone could but because of the current situation, there's no way that this chart will be even remotely accurate by next month. I think that this was a fool's errand because last-gen's MSRP is completely irrelevant, the MSRP of the RTX 4070 Ti will only be relevant for the first month or two (if that) and the scalper prices of last-gen are always in flux. It's like herding cats because just when you think you have them, they all take off in different directions.

It's terrible what consumers have had to deal with but we're the ones who created this situation and only we can fix it. If you have a high-end card, use it until it can barely game at 1080p. By then, you'll be able to replace it for about half of what you paid for it. Sure, it'll suck for a bit, but once it's done, it's done. The situation will be fixed and the GPU makers will think twice before pulling this crap again.
What surprises me is that 30 series cards still have ridiculous prices. Who is buying $2000 3090Tis or even $1300 3090s when an $850 4070Ti will perform the same or better?

3060ti been the best card I've bought in a WHILE, and I have had lots of cards before it

Made around $3k with it mining and now its still a powerhouse just chilling waiting for me to fire up a game once in a blue moon.
same for me, bought it for 490 euros in Dec 2020. Mined a similar amount to you and now just enjoying playing in 1440p.

In case you missed it from our newsletter gallery / IG account ...
I personally use NVidia because of CUDA (I almost never play videogames) but I am mildly surprised to see a tech site promoting the idea that one will "never use raytracing". Even the worst Hollywood film at 1080p @ 30fps is vastly more realistic than the best videogame at 4K @ 120 fps.

Clearly more pixels and frames aren't the answer. Ray tracing and physics are the future of graphical realism.

For $100 I'd buy the 4080. Better RT performance and no worries as to whether you'll have to RMA the board due to bad vapor chamber.

But neither of them are a good value or even a good deal. Wait 6 months, both cards will be below $1000.
Last time I was in the same position, tried RX 6800 (died, asked for a card to be replaced but got money back instead, liked the very crisp image, software, not so much) and tried 3070 (just worked, and it is still in my pc). Had them both for MSRP.
This time I have a similar thing. I want to go AMD, but I need a PC that just works. No time to lose on drivers or again on the dead card.

It is very easy For AMD and Nvidia to sell ,there are more buyers then GPUs all together!!Money is just moving around in this Market ,they managed with the last Gen of gpus to make it a stock market ,sell high buy low and s-hit if u get me ! can somebody tell me how many amd and nvidia cards 20 series an 50 have left unsold in the world ......?that's the cut off point for new gen !!that's it !!ask 2000 first day to sell it 2 years later at there true value ,but you still have the cream from the top to bottom to drink your coffee !!So drink it !!

You should really include Intel GPU's in your lists.

Why do you continue using MSRPs if no-one can buy them at that price? Why not just move to entirely to market price?

It would be interesting to have an estimate on how much of the price of modern GPUs is materials, how much is development and R&D and how much is pure price gouging. As a laymen my rough guess would be 5%, 15% and 80%.

Back