CPU Fan Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckbcer

I just put my computer together with all the components. My mob is a GA-P35-DS3L/S3L(Gigabyte). My other components are Corsair 450W PS, 2 DDR's 1gb each(Kingston),Seagate HD. I also installed a e-GeForce 8500GT Graphics Card. My CPU is an Intel Dual Core & my fan for the CPU is a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for Intel Socket 775. I'm using an older monitor for now till I can afford an a new screen. When I turned the computer on for the first time, it started up then cut out & restarted. Nothing came up on the monitor,but noticed the monitor light was flashing green. I doubled checked my connections & they were good. I tried it a couple of times, but same results, it would start, then cutout, then restart, flashing green light on the monitor, black screen. A few things I observed during the initial start up was the the CPU fan was not turning & the fins were heating up on this fan. Everything else seemed to be OK, the other fans were working the DVD drives seemed to be working, the doors would open close. My question is, Is the CPU fan defective, & would this effect the video on the monitor. If anybody would help me out on on this issue would be much apprieciated. Thanks.

Yes the CPU fan can cause the computer not to start (and do what you are stating)

You could disconnect the fan, and turn on the computer (for like 5secs) to see if it then starts (to prove this) This is at your option to do

Just tried unplugging the CPU fan, but does the same thing,starts up cuts out & restarts-black screen on monitor & flashing geen lights. Yesteday I tried pulling &reinstalling the graphics card but got the same symtoms as above.

?

How far did you get with installing your unnamed OS.Please include it.
And list your system specs.
Did you ever get to the Desktop.
I'll need this to continue.
I just put a new XP Home system together OK.

Unplug the keyboard and mouse, and test (leave the cpu fan in now)

If that didn't work, unplug all the harddrive cables and everything (leave the the power and reset and all those little wires in) Also unplug the case fan (not cpu)

Confirm the PSU plugs are in the m/b securely

And turn on (ie you don't need any drives to get a display)

If that didn't work, I'd say it's a Power Supply issue (seen before again)

edit:

Windows OS is not relevant yet

Gigabyte motherboards have a smart fan feature so they slow down or turn off the CPU fan if the processor is cool enough. I'm pretty sure the fan should run at least until it beeps and reaches the final stages of POST where it checks the RAM and hard drives.

With my Gigabyte GA-P31-S3L, when you edit a setting in the BIOS and 'save changes and exit' the PC will cut out and restart itself then carry on. It worried and confused me at first but it's fine.

If you leave it after it's cut out and restarted does it eventually give you video? You might also want to try the other port on the 8500GT, I think VGA is the default it outputs to.

Oh and check you have the 4 pin processor cable plugged in firmly.

Well I unplugged my system fan, my ide cables to the dvd drive & the cable to the hard drive, but left my power cables in. What is happening is at first the fan ran, Then it would just try to move (~5 deg), just short jerks. I tried it with the graphic card in & out. I would run it for 5-10 sec then shut it off. When I plugged the ps back in & restart it would shut off & restart. I could feel the cpu cooler warming up on the fins, so I would shut her down. I get no video Tried both ports so I can't access my bios. Any ideas what the problem would be?I will be running XP. Thanks again.

Try any Power Supply first
Then if the PSU doesn't show any change
Remove the Motherboard from the case, and check for shorts or basically just try out of the case.
If that didn't work ->M/board

Took everthing out of case, hooked up psu & cpu to mob with the graphic card. turned her on & couldn't get power to boot it, nothing happened. There were no screws, under the board, had enough clearance with the spacers so I didn't see any shorts. I rehooked it up,only the psu,cpu & the graphics card.. Still wouldn't boot up & no video. Tried on a flat screen Dell monitor as well as the older monitor. How can you tell if its the mob or cpu? Thanks

I can't !

But the mobo does all the power directing.

At this stage, it's board out (again, and leave out until fixed)
All data cables removed
All fans unplugged (including CPU fan )
All rst; spk; led itsy bitsy wires out
Front USB connectors removed
Vid card re-seated (you must do this, as they can hold voltage)
Ram reseated (why not!)
24 Pin power connector reseated
Plug in the video data connector
Plug in the keyboard (it's not that anymore)

Put power to the PSU (make sure the power cord in pushed in hard)
Short PWR on the motherboard for 2 secs (I use any flat screwdriver - not too big)

It should turn on !!! (if it does, pull the power, and plug the CPU fan back in; then turn on again)

If not:

Try another PSU

I followed your steps above, I only have usb keyboards. Without the keyboard hookup, it would power up, but would not bootup.,tried switching the ddr2's to the other channel but still would not bootup. Tried 2 different power supply, but would not bootup. The cpu fan would just jerk & I would run the power till I felt the fins getting warm. I will leave the mob out till I get everything sorted out. Will put my other power supply back into the other computer till I get further instructions. Thanks for your help.

The Gigabyte boards will jerk the fan (possibly on bootup) and during normal use if the CPU isn't actually hot enough to warrant the fan being on (I build all of my Intel PCs with them). Power it on for at least a minute, if the CPU really does get too hot the thermal protection for the CPU should cut the power anyway. It sounds like it's just taking a while to POST.

You could try the stock Intel HSF on the processor if you have it.

The only time I've seen this board not POST is when an Antec PSU couldn't provide enough power to run the board, a Q6600 and an 8800GTX.

I suspect the CPU cooler is not the problem and the board is most likely fine. You've definitely got the 4 pin processor connector plugged in?
Pull the RAM out, make sure you've got the little speaker plugged in, if you don't have one or it doesn't have one on the board, you're screwed until you can find one. Power the PC up, you should get continuous long beeps indicating no memory, put one stick back in and see what happens.

How long should I leave it running for? 10 min 20 min? I just don't want to burn out the cpu? I notice on my emachine the cpu runs right at the start, probably why I'm concerned. Where would the little speaker be? In the mean time I will look in the book & the mob for the speaker? Thanks

It shouldn't take longer than 1 minute to POST, although even that would be a long time, it's worth a try though just in case.

Different boards do different things with the fans, the Gigabyte boards by default run them as little as possible to keep the machine quiet.

Looking at the pictures, none of the P35-DS3 range seem to have speakers on them. You may be able to pull a speaker out of your Emachines or another old PC. Can you confirm the exact model and revision number of your board?

I'm not sure why they've stopped putting speakers on the motherboards, the new GA-G31M-S2L boards don't have them either. If I have a non booter (which thankfully hasn't happened so far) I'll have to rip an old PC apart to get the speaker out.

I took the speaker out of my case.& connected it to the motherboard. The only noise from the speaker is when I turn on the power supply & shorting out the power switch I just get the cracking noise of the power turning on. I get no beeps even when I pull the graphic card. I ran it for 5 min, but was getting awful hot on the fins so I shut it down. The guy I bought the cpu off of says he test all his cpu's before he ships them out. I am only running the cpu,power supply & graphics card. How do you determine which it is-cpu or mob? Thanks

My mob is a GA-P35-DS3L/S3L(Gigabyte). My other components are Corsair 450W PS, 2 DDR's 1gb each(Kingston),Seagate HD. I also installed a e-GeForce 8500GT Graphics Card. My CPU is an Intel Dual Core
By the way, that "Intel Dual Core" is compatable with your M/b isn't it?

You'll need to check the M/b pdf (usually pdf file) on the Gigabyte support page for your system.

Yes it is compatible. This is cut & pasted from Gigabyte list of compatible cpu's -Intel Core™ 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz 4MB Conroe 65nm G0 65W 1333 F2 . The info I took from the top of the cpu is:E6550 Core2 Duo 2.33GHZ/4m/1333/06, then there is a #on the 4th line L732A922. This cpu is compatible with the motherboard.

How do you determine which it is-cpu or mob?
In tech shops they just swap parts around until it's worked out.
Sometimes it's both (Now that would be bad)

Also thanks for the update about the specs, I didn't have time to check, but thought, I wonder if ? Anyway, that wasn't it

It *could* be that the BIOS needs updating on the motherboard first, unlikely, but possible. It seems like F2 is the base BIOS number for that board.

If you have any friends with a lower pentium or C2D processor, ask them if you can test your motherboard with it or test your processor in their motherboard.

You really need to get hold of a speaker, that way you can find out if your RAM and graphics card are working by removing them to see if the motherboard responds to it.

seanc, that board was made previous to his processor and may need a new BIOS update to work with that processor.

Looking at the Gigabyte chart the E6550 will work for the F2 Bios versions but not F1. My motherboard is probabaly the original F1 which is not compatible. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back