CPU fan vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleel

I wouldn't have believed this unless I saw it w/ my own eyes.
Spent part of the afternoon @ a friends house diagnosing an apparent overheating problem.
Cpu (Duron®) temp was a nominal 45°C but the screen would go black, off & on, sometimes reappearing in a small resolution. When I arrived the case was off w/ a desk fan blowing cold air. Another fan was blowing on the monitor. Even then I witnessed this black-out problem.
We decided to strip down the rig, vacumn, clean, & applying ASII to the HSF, a FOB32-1 4200rpm. Upon restarting we watched the hardware monitor & the problem reoccurred in about 5 minutes, even thought the temps were w/i limits. Observing w/ a flashlight I noticed the Voodoo5 ( a full size card) was vibrating. Holding it steady solved the problem.
The vibration?! The clue was the hardware monitor. Fan speed was in excess of 4700 rpm. The cpu fan was backwards, blowing outward. Although this shouldn't effect the cooling, the over revving fan caused just enough vibration to make the V5 shake. We fabricated a bracket & attached w/ an insulating washer to an existing hole in the card, & to the case.
Now we're steady freddy, but that was a weird thing to witness.

BTW, we tightened up all the screws. It was just a slight harmonic vibration to make the V5 shake, like the end of a long stick.

My rig has a Delta fan (6000+ rpm) on a Vantec copper hsf. Little heavier I guess, but I'm thinking of some mounting supports.

Good post Uncleel, I had a similar situation with a HSF once before that ended alittle (well ALOT) worse than yours. I had a "funny noise" comming out of my case one day, so I popped the case open and looked around to find the cause of the noise. I took the HSF off and inspected it, put it back on, and when it powered up, it broke a blade off, snapped off the bracket and fried my CPU in about 12 seconds, well it actually fried in the time it took me to panic and yank the cord, end story, too late, new CPU. So from now on, I always make sure the Fan is spinning right and properly balanced.

Originally posted by boeingfixer
a "funny noise"...broke a blade off
That would have been my friends end result of 1000+ extra rpm given time. Oddly enough, he "learned" about reversing the fan from "a" forum.

UPDATE

L:rolleyes: :rolleyes:KS like we have a monitor problem. Rig ran fine for 3 days ( not continuously) then repeated the same symtoms.
Since there's a 80mm fan blowing on both sides of the card & the side of the case is off, I don't believe we have a heat issue.

I loaned him a 15" & switched monitors to another rig. This morning ( 3/30/02) the suspect monitor has the same old black-out problem.

It's a Sony Multiscan 200sx 17" (out of warranty)
Beings this is a family man & replacement is an issue; think a cooling fan would help, or is she gonna blow :hotouch:

I've never heard of many ways of saving a dying monitor. I guess better cooling would be a good start, but a dying monitor is inevitably going to die so it would be best just to get a cheaper 17" monitor now in my opinion.

Maybe turning it off for a while and letting all the capacitors and whatnot cool and maybe for some odd reason that will help. Just a thought ;)

By the way, what exactly does bump stand for???

BUMP

Don't you hate it when people start a new post for a continuing problem!
originally quoted by uncleel
Bump To The Top
For the sake of continuity, it would have been better to reply to your previous post.
That way people can follow your problem & the story line. Anytime you reply to a post,
it will be bumped to the top of the order, & further shows up in Today's Active Topics

Yea, it's dying, trying to help a guy out. He found a Sylvania 17" for $149 @ www.Costco.com but www.BestBuy.com had a advertised deal $139.99 (w/ rebate) till we saw the rebate has already expired! :(

Re: BUMP

Originally posted by uncleel
Yea, it's dying, trying to help a guy out. He found a Sylvania 17" for $149 @ www.Costco.com but www.BestBuy.com had a advertised deal $139.99 (w/ rebate) till we saw the rebate has already expired! :(
Many times best buy will bring that rebate back soon after it expires - sometimes with higher $ amount. I know this from expierence when I had a monitor die on me and bought a nice one at best buy. 1 month later (as time was expiring for me to redeem the rebate) I went to the website to download the rebate form to mail off and found that if I would have bought it 2 days later I would have gotten another $10 back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back