CPU.... Pitting...?

Hi, I've been building and fixing computers for a while now. I came across a system with an AMD A4-5300 and some other various parts. I got this system on trade and verified it working before trading with him. (I gave him an upgraded system and he gave me his old system + money). Anyways, I'm taking the computer apart and cleaning the thermal paste off the CPU. Then I noticed there were some specs that were harder then usual to come off... After another pass with some iso... they didn't come off at all. In fact, to my further inspection it actually looks like visible scratches or pits, if you will inside the top part of the cpu. (the nickel plated top piece). I've taken some pictures for anyone to give me some insight on why or how this happened and how the hell the computer still functions that would be great.

https://gyazo.com/36edf7ff17ab931e920c497aaf7faefa
https://gyazo.com/80e25006fe5c4658f35152dfb41b2a67
https://gyazo.com/c6b5d7c5215faf1de2c326ee765e18e3

Pick up the phone and ask him why did this happen to the cpu. ?
I'm looking at it closely and looks to be thermal paste damaging or whatever heatsink was on it is messing up that chip.
Just because it works fine doesn't mean there maybe problems you are you yet to stumple upon over time.
I haven't seen that type of damaging when I messed up my first pentium 4 way back in the day.

Cheap replaclement but not worth it for day to day use, I have that cpu and it is worthless.
https://www.ebay.com/p/AMD-A4-5300-...0OKHJBOX-Processor/141838780?iid=263538179035

He was not too knowledgeable in computers and doubt he would know why this has occurred. The type of cooler is just the stock one that came with the CPU I'm guessing. The pictures kind of show more damage then what is actually there. I did some research and found that the top piece is simply to make contact with the heatsink and protect the actual chip. I'm thinking about taking some 1500 grit wetordry dipped in a small amount of iso and sanding the metal piece down (lapping) to see if I can buff some of the roughness out. I think that will hopefully stop the thermal paste corrosion?

He was not too knowledgeable in computers and doubt he would know why this has occurred. The type of cooler is just the stock one that came with the CPU I'm guessing. The pictures kind of show more damage then what is actually there. I did some research and found that the top piece is simply to make contact with the heatsink and protect the actual chip. I'm thinking about taking some 1500 grit wetordry dipped in a small amount of iso and sanding the metal piece down (lapping) to see if I can buff some of the roughness out. I think that will hopefully stop the thermal paste corrosion?

I'm not too sure about the corrosion process I would say no to your idea, not trying to be a downer but it looks bad.
Read this here and you will see why I don't recommend what your about to do, surprisingly someone else thought that years ago.
https://www.linuxquestions.org/ques...al-and-prevention-on-old-cpu-legs-top-885223/
Check with overclockers.com and amd official forum, one of those 2 will tell you what is best for that cpu.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/106-CPUs

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll do some more research on the official AMD forum and see what they say as well. If they don't advise lapping then I will probably either end up throwing it out or something.

Thanks for your time

No problem I wouldn't bother trying to fix that apu, just get a cheap replacement and do whatever you want with the machine.

Best of luck.

OK, many people even recommend polishing the CPU heat spreader before putting the heat sink fan in place anyway. You can eve usen finer sand paper than 1500 grit. I believe grits up to 8000 are available, and certainly grits up to 4000 definitely are.

The CPU die itself isn't anywhere near the size of the cover, and consequently, pits out at the edge of it, should have very little effect on cooling once the HSF is put back in place.

Assuming the color in your photos is somewhere near correct, the issue is a copper salt of some kind happening. These are very recognizable by the greenish -blue color. In fact copper's spectral burning color is very close to that. So, there is, or was, cop[per lurking in either the heat spreader or, (more likely), the cooler assy, which caused a tiny bit of galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals in contact with each other.

Now, the link posted by Mr. Tech is somewhat deceptive, as the first posts deal with corrosion on the PINS of the CPU (the bottom side), and not the heat spreader.

Some madman wanted to put thermal compound on the CPU pins, which would short out the CPU almost instantly.

At one time, the makers of "Arctic Silver" thermal compound, recommended assembling the HSF to the CPU by simply putting a small pea sized blob of thermal compound in the center of the heat spreader, and installing it, allowing the tension between the HSF and the top of the CPU, to spread the paste.

So, IMHO, there's no need to replace the CPU, just gently polish the top, clean it with whatever flavor of pure alcohol you have on hand, apply thermal comp[ound according to directions, install the HSF fan, and be done with it.

EDIT: I'm going to qualify that last statement just a bit by saying, "as long as the pitting isn't clear through the heat spreader, you should be good to go".

Last edited:
Back