CPU RAM OS or PSU ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi .. my pc is a micro msi with a amd 2.1mb cpu working at about 1.7mb.Ive been getting this problem for a little while now but its slowly getting worse.Ive now found that when u 1st start it up it seems to run sort of ok but by using a cpu monitor u can watch the activity creeping up till its about 90% !!!! Then when u try do do anything it stagggers !!! i mean its bad !! My old 400mb pc was much faster !!! The 1st thing i did about Mar-Apr 2005 was to install a system fan to cool it all down hoping this might help.At this time it wasnt running this bad .. but now its got really bad.It doesnt matter if the fans running or not .. so ive stopped it to kill off all the xtra noise ! ... ( cpu temp about 100F ) no overclocking
Im NOT running anything more than i did with my old pc except my anti virus .. but if i kill that it makes no diff! Ive got 512m of ram .. its mixed so i tried running on just 256m .. no diff. ??? just less memory. Last year i got bombed by something while using a search engine ... & had to re-install everything .. which took all week getting it all set up again .. so im reluctant to go thru all that again .. but it seems that somethings up again !!
The O.S is win98SE. Some say XP is better & some say theres not much between the two .. but im just about to go broadband .. but at this rate i may as well forget it .. the slowest broadband in town !!! hi hi
sorry for the long rant. Does any of this sound familiar ??
The pc is about 2.5 yrs old now.. its got a 10gb system drive .. & i have encountered a simular problem once when the HD went u/s & i had to replace it but it was more erratic than this.
I dont get blue screens but do get "out of memory" more than i would expect when using it .. i cant fathom it .. as i said my old pc had 64mb ram & 400m processor .. but using rambooster it would keep it running ok.
h e l p- - - - -C P U ? R A M ? O S ? P S U ? - - - - -thanks

What a ramble.
First go to your "user profile" and fill in the specifics, It will help us to determine what is going on.
"Ive been getting this problem for a little while now"
What problem is that? The computer is running slow?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your system could be infected with malware etc.

Go HERE and follow the instructions carefully. Print them out if you can.

Once you have done that, go HERE for instructions on how to post your Hijackthis log.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

ive just gone to that link .. & must say it looks far too complicated for me!.Anyhow thanks for your time to help & ill just say i spent all day yesterday re-installing everything (except my own files) so i wont add anything more to this post .. no rambling.
cheers all russ. (one last coment .. while all this "spyware was probably getting into my pc ... i had PCILLIN anti-virus running!!! .. it didnt work! )

Russ go back a take a little time reading that post - you'll probably be in need of it quite soon. You need to take a few precautions to prevent re-occurrence. It doesn't take much to at least download & install Adaware and Spybot.

We don't want to scare you off for a little rambling :)

Russ,
There is much at that site but it will be useful, HijackThis is something you don't want to be without. If there is anything you don't understand about the link, someone will help you here.
G'Luck

russzero said:
(one last coment .. while all this "spyware was probably getting into my pc ... i had PCILLIN anti-virus running!!! .. it didnt work! )

Pccillin will only scan for virii, worms etc. It wouldn`t detect spyware, adware, malware.

I can only urge you to at least try to follow the instructions in the links I gave you.

If you take your time, it`s really not that difficult.

Regards Howard :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back