Crashing During Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathen

Hey all

I just recently got my computer wiped and got XP put on it, and while I am playing a game, about 20 minutes in (give or take) it will just crash (random restart, no error messages/blue screens). I tried installing a driver for my motherboard and already have for my video card (twice each) but nether solutions have worked. Any ideas? (if you need any specs, post the component)

Thanks

Ok, got it and am running it now. What am i looking for? and do i have to actually run a game to see if it will overheat?

See this post: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic13759.html
The idea would be to see how it is getting. Obviously you seem to be having a problem with a game. So this would be good to run.

When you've got a moment put some details of you machine in your profile. This will save ahving to answer questions everytime you get a prob.

yes, you need to run a game and then check the log afterwards to see how the temperature has changed...

(Remember to enable logging til file, so that if your system crashes, you'll still be able to read the info)

Also, you might want to turn off the restarting when the bluescreen appears, so that you can write down what is happening...

Then i don't think it is a temp. issue, it seemed to stick between 50C and 60C at rest and while running a game. By the way, this happened with any game I run, not just one. The ones I have run are Halo, Battlefeild 1942, and Diablo II, so I am just assuming that any game i try it will crash. All three seemed to crash within 20-30 minutes of play. (and yea, ill go input some of my specs now)

Edit: Yea, ok. I'll try to see if the log file will have any drastic changes after a crash (btw, when i said "should i run the game" it sounded less stupid in my head :blush: heh)

Heh

Ok, well, I told it to make a log, but I can't seem to find it anywhere...but I started speedfan up immediately after it restarted and the temp. Was in the low 70's(C), and the chart looks as if it was coming down from a peak (not drastically but still), which makes me think that it was up and that could be the problem...also, what is the norm for fan RPM's? It seemed to flux. between 4400 and 4000, and my second fan isn’t running at all...could that be the cause of the temp?

Edit: when I look at the chart now, it seems their was a definate drop from 70's to now in the mid. to high 50's

They should be saved in the speed fan directory as SFLog[date].csv these will open in a spreadsheet program.
You may not have a sensor for the second fan.

Well, that means it was much higher when the restart occurred, as it cools down quite a bit during boot-up...

The speed of the fan doesn't say too much, as it depends on the design of the fan, size of it, and the composition of the heatsink...

Yea, I see those logs...but don't understand them. All three are just a multitude of numbers that are 5 digits long...I may have not done something I should have, I just went into configuration and enabled the log, then just let it run and let it crash. Should I have enabled the charts? (*laughs* sounds like another stupid question to me, ill go try that now). If this is the problem though (which it is looking more and more like that with time), what am i suposed to do to lower the temp?

Still nothing in the logs but a bunch of 5 digit numbers with the heading "seconds" at the top, one long list of 'em. Also my temp it comming down from 74C again when i ran speedfan after th crash. So what should i do now?

I'm assuming that the heat sink and fan is dust free, as is the rest of the machine. Get some thermal conductvie paste such as 'Arctic Silver' and apply it as per instructions between the cpu & sink.

What fan are you using on your cpu?
And what are the room temp's?

If you're using the hsf (heatsink fan unit) that came with the cpu with the thermal pad, you really should use some thermal paste to help the heat transfer.

If you also got a high room temp, you might want to look into getting a better fan...

The room temp is normal, as for the type of fan I have on the CPU, I am not sure. This computer was bought about 3-4 years ago, it is all stock besides my video card (I’m already making plans on re-building it). Also, I have a friend who works in IT and I am going to talk to her see what she says before I crack it open, not to say your opinions don’t matter, I'd just prefer to know all that I can before I go and "fix" something that may not be the main cause of my problems. I'm sure this could very well be the main problem, but I also know that their can or may be other things that are be causing the crashes at this point. Thanks for all the info though, helped allot :D .

Your problem sounds like dust-bunnies having a fieldday inside your computer.
One or more of your fans is so filthy from dust, that it does not work anymore, or only partially.
Be bold, disconnect the PC from the mains. Discharge yourself from static electricity by holding the metal pipe from the central heating first.
Open the case and get rid of the dust. Do NOT use a vacuum cleaner for that. Get a can of compressed air and cover your mouth/nose when you 'spray' the dust out of the fans. Do this outside or in the garage, not inside the house.

:haha: Well, after reading MrG's and Iron Duke’s post, I got curious and opened it up...you were right. It completely slipped my mind that I keep my computer by my furnace room, and as a result get a higher rate of dust accumulation. I just finished cleaning about 1/4 of an inch of dust from it. I completely forgot about cleaning it for about a year now. Heh, well now that that’s done, I'm assuming my problem is gone. Thanks for all the info Duke, MrG and Real, sometimes it seems that my mind need a little kick start to realize the obvious :grinthumb

Edit: My CPU's temp dropped 30C, *laughs*Sounds like that was the problem. Thanks for all the help again :giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back