Crytek to release free standalone game engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Crytek, the folks behind Crysis and Far Cry, reportedly plans to join Unity and Epic Games in releasing a free video game engine. Crytek already provides a free CryEngine 2 editor to modders, but the outfit hopes to launch a free standalone platform that is up to speed with the latest engine and that people can run independent of CryEngine.

"We have a very vivid community of users and modders and content creators, and usually that's a great way of unlocking the engine," said Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli. He added that it's not exactly the same as what Epic or Unity are currently doing. Few other details are available, such as a launch timeframe or licensing options.

CryEngine 3 will debut with Crysis 2, which is claimed to have the best graphics ever and is coming later this year for the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

Permalink to story.

Thanks for the info.

I have a question though. I have heard that due to the new CryEgine and the new optimizations they have made to it, Crysis 2's requirements will be even lower than previous Crysis games. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the info.

I have a question though. I have heard that due to the new CryEgine and the new optimizations they have made to it, Crysis 2's requirements will be even lower than previous Crysis games. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

Interesting.

Doesn't really sound like good news for those of us hoping for an big upgrade in graphics quality, seeing how Crysis and FarCry2 are still pretty good benchmarking games.

Unless I'm missing something, those 2 still have the best of the best graphics, right?

Depending on what's included in the engine and the license, this could be pretty interesting for indy game developers.

As for Crysis 2 performance, I'm sure it'd be pretty good because the engine was designed to work well on consoles, which have pretty weak GPU's by current standards. On the other hand my guess is that Crytek will not disappoint and also include an uber quality mode which will tax high end systems.

hello ...

OMG, that's great news, i've tried UDK, now CryEngine3 ... humm, i really need to find more time & build another PC for development ...

i'm sure Crysis 2 will be great on all platform, but PC best ;)

cheers!

I recall reading an interview recently that stated the new Crytek engine was much more optimized and efficient, letting the same super-detail be shown with slightly less taxation of hardware. So the end result was that they could ramp up the detail for this next gen engine, while keeping most of the hardware requirements roughly the same as the last.

I'm pretty sure that was Crytek's engine I was reading about... Have to do some digging (since my memory banks aren't as efficient as they used to be - too many read/write cycles I think, exceeded the manufacturer's specs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back