Cyberpunk 2077 has lost 79% of its Steam players since launch

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Are you still playing Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam? If the answer is no, then you’re one of the 79 percent of players who have abandoned the game since it launched almost one month ago. The decline is three times faster than CD Projekt Red’s previous title, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

After years of hype and three delays, it didn’t come as too much of a surprise to see Cyberpunk 2077 draw in over one million concurrent Steam players on launch day, beating Fallout 4’s previous record for a single-player experience.

But the RPG hasn’t been able to maintain those impressive figures. GitHyp reports that player counts have been dropping quickly, reaching a low of 225,000 over the weekend.

The site also notes that most single-player games do lose around the same number of players in the month after their launch, but open-world titles are the exception. The Witcher 3, for example, held on to half its playerbase four weeks after it arrived in 2015, taking three months to lose 79 percent of players.

At the end of 2019, the Netflix series prompted a resurgence in The Witcher 3’s popularity, bringing in more players than at launch. Over a year later, and it still hasn’t lost 79 percent of its new players.

There are caveats to remember: the decline only counts Steam players, not those on the Epic Games Store, GOG, or Stadia.

Something that could give Cyberpunk 2077’s Steam player numbers a boost is the upcoming free DLC. It’s supposed to be landing in “early 2021,” but given the game’s other issues CD Projekt Red has to deal with, that might be an optimistic time frame.

Permalink to story.

Lol game was damn near DOA. I will not be purchasing. In fact have not purchased a new title in years. What was the last major AAA title of any genera to launch that actually matched or exceeded expectations and was not broken at launch? I dont think its happened in a decade.

I beat the game this past Sat after putting in 72hrs, delaying the last story mission for a week and a half while I do side quests and gigs.

Considering main story takes 25-30hrs, this is expected. I guess putting things in perspective counts?
Yup. Along with the fact that a lot more people (than usual) had plenty of time to play games these past few weeks.

I finished playing the game before Christmas, clocking in almost 100 hours. I'd imagine that a lot of other people weren't far behind (or bothered to do all the side stuff or a second playthrough)...

Last edited:
Not me!

I am still playing and still enjoying it!

The side missions in the game have been crafted with more care than any other game I've ever played. Yes, it's buggy, but it's tremendous fun.

I was playing a mission the other night (recorded it to Youtube in fact) where I was tricked by a shady street hustler, stripped, and left naked without my items in an apartment - a candidate to have my organs stolen. I got my stuff back and killed everyone in revenge. The only thing this game was missing was a Karma system, but it's completely overlookable.

The reality is, most people don't have the hardware needed to run this game. I even noticed a tremendous difference on the 2080Ti and my 3090 FTW3. It's true you shouldn't have to have a beast rig to play it, but that's the same dynamic that made Crysis a meme.

Last edited:
So without the other datasets, we can't say for sure that the game was a flop, but that's a mighty steep drop-off.

A “low” of 225,000 players. That’s higher amount of concurrent players than many games ever get! Sure it’s down a lot from the day one 1 million number. But the game was so hyped up, arrived just before Christmas during a global pandemic. Many of us me included would probably not have considered it if times were normal but they weren’t and I purchased my first full price game for years and have absolutely loved it tbh.

Also I think most of us going back to work this week will definitely have affected player numbers.

I beat the game this past Sat after putting in 72hrs, delaying the last story mission for a week and a half while I do side quests and gigs.

Considering main story takes 25-30hrs, this is expected. I guess putting things in perspective counts?
I haven't played the game in a few days but I am following the same strategy you did. After I finished GTA V single player campaign it was years before I played it through again. So most of the steam users have completed the single player campaign so it makes sense that there is a fall off of users.

While the game might be great on the PC and terrible for others I won't buy it on the simple principle that the company and it's officers lied to the gamers, to the investors, and in general have established themselves as untrustworthy across the board. The same stands for No Mans Sky. When top management make the decision to mislead the public they cannot be trusted again. As for the company, in order to be given a 2nd change they must purge themselves of all those that participated in the lies; otherwise they are just a another pig with a different shade of lipstick ....

Ths news is dumb af, sorry.
The TOP concurent players of witcher 3 is far from the concurent players today on cyberpunk 2077 (100k vs 140k) (and it's not even counting gog and consoles).

Lol game was damn near DOA. I will not be purchasing. In fact have not purchased a new title in years. What was the last major AAA title of any genera to launch that actually matched or exceeded expectations and was not broken at launch? I dont think its happened in a decade.

Alyx IMHO

I consider Valve AAA. But maybe they don’t exactly fit the definition/argument. Or maybe the VR only thing would disqualify it.

I don't think we can draw any conclusion from this. It's a different context and probably the wrong metric to look at... With lockdowns everywhere, it is quite possible that people (like me) plowed through the story in less days after its release then they did for Witcher 3 when it was competing against bars, theaters, travel & family gatherings.

I'm 140 hours in on my second playthrough and love it. I think a lot of that is also people who beat the game and just aren't playing it again.

No kidding >_> as others stated, pandemic = more people with free time, plus it was released around the holidays, so people probably played alot not being able/risking to visit family and friends. Sure there are bugs and you need a monster PC to get it running well and looking decent (looking forward to optimization patches and revisiting in a few years with new tech), but those will be solved with time and an active Modding community that will pick up CDPR's slack and add fun mods, missions, mechanics, and overhauls (see Skyrim). I feel this game is a fun one that will last and grow over time if given the proper mother's love it deserves from CDPR and the gamer community. It just had an unfortunate launch of being released way too early and having overhype syndrome xD

No kidding >_> as others stated, pandemic = more people with free time, plus it was released around the holidays, so people probably played alot not being able/risking to visit family and friends. Sure there are bugs and you need a monster PC to get it running well and looking decent (looking forward to optimization patches and revisiting in a few years with new tech), but those will be solved with time and an active Modding community that will pick up CDPR's slack and add fun mods, missions, mechanics, and overhauls (see Skyrim). I feel this game is a fun one that will last and grow over time if given the proper mother's love it deserves from CDPR and the gamer community. It just had an unfortunate launch of being released way too early and having overhype syndrome xD

You don't need a monster PC. The worst performance I get is 70-75 fps outside in NC and my PC is six years old with a 1080Ti in it. The framerate would be unacceptable for a multiplayer first person shooter, but very playable for this. No jitter, and the graphics still look good, albeit at 1080p and on medium settings. I mean, I'd love to have an RTX 3080 in my PC, and there is literally one on a table 5m away which belongs to my flatmate, but it's not a must to play Cyberpunk 2077.

I stopped playing to wait for their big content package rumored for around June. It really does feel like an unfinished product. They should have just delayed the game by 12 months and gotten over it.
But I understand whiney babies would have complained and canceled their pre-orders. Still releasing this... Thing... Did more damage than good to their reputation I'm sure.

I just finished the game today after putting in just about 130 hours. I played since launch (7pm EST on 12/9 for me), but on GOG, so my time played unfortunately isn't tallied in this. I postponed the main storyline nearly immediately during Act 2 (after The Heist) and did a ton of random side gigs, and all the major NPC side gigs. I'm going to take a small break (130 hours is a good run, I only play one game at a time and only move on once I've finished) and then do a second playthrough on PS5 to compare them. I'm looking forward to the DLC as well. I wish we could see a grand total of all players between PC and console.

A lot of people must have put the purchase on hold because of the bad press.

No hurry... just be sure to have a raytracing card when the time has come. A true next gen game I would say.

Back