Cyberpunk 2077's console versions get major price cut

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: If anything indicates a game is losing momentum, it's a price reduction soon after launch. Cyberpunk 2077 may have sold 13 million copies in ten days but is now available at around half its original price.

Best Buy currently has the PS4 and Xbox One versions of Cyberpunk 2077 (standard disc editions) for $34.99, saving buyers $25 off the usual price. Amazon was offering it for $30, or $40 for the PC game, though they appear to have sold out.

It's no secret that Cyberpunk 2077 has plenty of issues on the last-gen consoles. Thankfully, these currently reduced games also work on the PS5/XBSX, and owners get a free upgrade to the current-gen-specific versions when they arrive later this year.

CD Projekt is unlikely to have enjoyed the last few weeks. The company was forced to deny claims that the famous 2018 E3 demo of Cyberpunk 2077 was "almost entirely fake." It also released an apology video for the game's state on consoles. That clip (below) also reveals future plans such as major patches—the first arrives soon—DLC, and PS5/XBSX versions.

The hype surrounding Cyberpunk 2077 ensured it racked up plenty of pre-orders and sold well at launch—the one million+ concurrent Steam players on release day saw it beat Fallout 4's previous record for a single-player experience. But the game has lost around 79 percent of its Steam players since then, three times faster than the Witcher 3.

Cyberpunk 2077 hasn't experienced the kind of launch CD Projekt expected, obviously, but there's hope that the game might do a No Man's Sky and eventually become more appealing and less buggy through fixes, new content, and the multiplayer mode. For some disappointed gamers, however, that might be too little, too late.

Permalink to story.

Yeah you can get this on game market places like all key shop on the PC for like £27 or so atm. It’s fallen in price hard. I don’t regret buying it on release though, was one of the best games I’ve played in a long time. But yeah, won’t be doing that again.

Yep, the voice of free enterprise has spoken and when the buying public "votes" with their pocketbook, companies pay attention. Their only solution to survival is to pull the product, re-build it so it's error free, then hope a re-release will be seen favorably. Their marketing departments also need to develop a campaign of "honest admission & apology" as well as a sizeable discount to previous buyers (something in the range of -75% off list price) as an atonement. Doing this WILL get the attention of the buying public and of course last but not least, NEVER DO IT AGAIN!

$60 pre-ordered. 120hrs beaten the game just doing side quests and achievements now. That's about $0.50 an hour.

Still a better decision and more enjoyable than games I've bought on sale for $5,$10,$15, or $20 played for 15 mi s and never played again.

I didn't follow any of the Cyberpunk hype for the last few years.

When I saw the demo of it, I wrote it off as a Borderlands clone.

On release-eve, I decided to buy it - for some reasons...

I was sucked into it almost immediately just by the character creator and the opening mission.

I played through the game not fully understanding just about anything. I didn't understand how crafting workers, or the stat system (I don't play many RPG) or many of the cyberwear weapons.

I restarted the game after beating it and played through it again focused on learning what I neglected the first time and doing side missions.

Bugs or no bugs, the game is a lot of fun, so long as you have the hardware to run it.

Anything less than a 2080Ti isn't good enough. You need a powerful multicore CPU and you need 32GB DDR4 with an SSD.

this game was NEVER going to work on an old console with a HDD, so they never should have even bothered to try. Granted, GTAV has more sophisticated AI and physics, that game was built specifically for consoles. Cyberpunk 2077 was built for the PC.

Normally I'd join in on the attacks of this game, but I LOVED IT.

Ran perfectly on my 3090 in Psycho mode.

The complaints are mostly coming from PS4 owners.

PC owners are upgrading.

I sold a 2080Ti to a guy with a 980Ti who couldn't run it at all, and now he's playing on max settings.

Last edited:
$60 pre-ordered. 120hrs beaten the game just doing side quests and achievements now. That's about $0.50 an hour.

Still a better decision and more enjoyable than games I've bought on sale for $5,$10,$15, or $20 played for 15 mi s and never played again.

This is one game I bought that I absolutely feel I got my money's worth.

Jumping back into the game to locate Legendary items and quests is the real carrot on the stick.

I think the damage is done this time. I've already uninstalled my game an moved on to another one.

I feel like I should restart my game based on the fact I picked the "wrong" option for Skippy LOL

Isn't it amazing you say that?

Part of me restarting my game was to be able to have a second chance with Skippy.

The other part was wanting to not miss out on SATORI.
I also wanted to equip myself with Legendary Mantis Blades, Legendary Arm Launcher and Legendary Monowire - as well as the Legendary business suit and netrunner gear.

But then I realized: SKIPPY is just a pistol. It's not as powerful as many other weapons.

Divided We Stand is an assault Rifle.

Overwatch is a Sniper Rifle with a headshot damage multiplier.

I actually get way more use out of DWS and Overwatch.

Divided We Stand with just 2 or 3 upgrades is in my option more powerful than Skippy when you compare DPS. Skippy's strength is the headshot bias, but Skippy can also be useful for wounding people without killing them for the Cyberpsycho missions. I made a mistake a nerfed my OVERWATCH with a module that made it non-lethal. It was still doing 3000 damage per headshot, but it wasn't "killing" people.

The second playthrough, I was way more careful of maiming people instead of killing them for the special missions. In my first playthrough I'd just let bullets fly and gib everyone.

also look for FENRIR which is a submachine gun that sets everyone on fire.

What I really loved about this game is that you could stick solely to the story missions and play right through the game with the standard guns and items and still be able to beat the game even without understanding how to maximize your abilities. It was like when I played through Fallout 4 and didn't understand how to maximize my settlement trading materials till I had already beaten the game.

Last edited:

Part of me restarting my game was to be able to have a second chance with Skippy.

But then I realized: SKIPPY is just a pistol.

Divided We Stand is a Rifle.

Divided We Stand with just 2 or 3 upgrades is in my option more powerful than Skippy when you compare DPS. Skippy's strength is the headshot bias, but Skippy can also be useful for wounding people without killing them for the Cyberpsycho missions. I made a mistake a nerfed my OVERWATCH with a module that made it non-lethal. It was still doing 3000 damage per headshot, but it wasn't "killing" people.

The second playthrough, I was way more careful of maiming people instead of killing them for the special missions. In my first playthrough I'd just let bullets fly and gib everyone.

My current style is HS from stealth. I'm getting 80-100k with Archangel. If I want splash damage I've got Comrade's Hammer (upgraded to Legendary) damage output is similar to Archangel but only 1 shot at a time. Either one is 1 shot 1 kill.

If I want to incap people I have Short Circuit, which uses my crits from guns via talent, and that crits for about 5k-10k and is pretty much 1 shot. I also have legendary Ping which allows me to Short Circuit through walls. Game is ez mode since level 30 lol.

FYI I couldn't get DWS on current playthrough be I putz around and didn't get great score :(

My current style is HS from stealth. I'm getting 80-100k with Archangel. If I want splash damage I've got Comrade's Hammer (upgraded to Legendary) damage output is similar to Archangel but only 1 shot at a time. Either one is 1 shot 1 kill.

If I want to incap people I have Short Circuit, which uses my crits from guns via talent, and that crits for about 5k-10k and is pretty much 1 shot. I also have legendary Ping which allows me to Short Circuit through walls. Game is ez mode since level 30 lol.

FYI I couldn't get DWS on current playthrough be I putz around and didn't get great score :(

DWS is actually easy to get on the first try, but you've got to create a SAVE right before you start the competition, just in case you mess up. I failed to get it the first try, but once I understood how to win, I got it. It's a really good rifle.

Technically, you can get a regular smart Assault rifle and craft it up to Legendary damage but that requires a lot of skill tree points.

The Legendary Arm Cannon ($101,000) is damn near a one hit killer with unlimited ammo. Equipped with tranquilizer darts, it is a one hit "neutralizer" (it won't kill but it stops anyone in one hit).

The other part was wanting to not miss out on SATORI.
I also wanted to equip myself with Legendary Mantis Blades, Legendary Arm Launcher and Legendary Monowire - as well as the Legendary business suit and netrunner gear.

But then I realized: SKIPPY is just a pistol.

Divided We Stand is an assault Rifle.

Overwatch is a Sniper Rifle with a headshot damage multiplier.

I actually get way more use out of DWS and Overwatch.

I chose leg shot mode with skippy and never got 50 kills to get lethal mode or whatever. Next time I play through I’m going to pick lethal mode as it may actually be some use!

It’s a great game but far too short and far too easy for things like crafting and skippy. All I’ve got left on my map is a few cyberpsychos and some cars left to buy and I haven’t crafted anything at all. Yet I can chop down most enemies with ease with the weapons I’ve acquired along the way.

The game is all about the story for me, the combat is meh. And the cars handle like no car I’ve ever driven!

I chose leg shot mode with skippy and never got 50 kills to get lethal mode or whatever. Next time I play through I’m going to pick lethal mode as it may actually be some use!

It’s a great game but far too short and far too easy for things like crafting and skippy. All I’ve got left on my map is a few cyberpsychos and some cars left to buy and I haven’t crafted anything at all. Yet I can chop down most enemies with ease with the weapons I’ve acquired along the way.

The game is all about the story for me, the combat is meh. And the cars handle like no car I’ve ever driven!
IIRC, you can keep Skippy in puppy pacifist mode with the right dialogue...

IIRC, you can keep Skippy in puppy pacifist mode with the right dialogue...

The only that could make me return Skippy to Regina is if the gun completely stopped firing altogether. I'm shocked the developers didn't think of making that a variable considering how anal they had to be to give it an irreversible mode switch.

Still DWS is a better gun.

Can anyone here comment on the criticism that they only 'viable' path is street kid? If you go corpo, you essentially just get shuffled over to street kid pretty quickly. Same for outlander (or whatever it is called). Like they finished fleshing out the story for street kid first, but ran out of time to even really start on corpo or outlander. I get that its a story, so the paths will converge over time, but from what I heard, the other two paths converge pretty quickly into the street kid path.

I just wanted to play a corpo net-runner that all of a sudden had to deal with the 'ghost' of an anti-establishment (an establishment I benefit from) living in my head.

Can anyone here comment on the criticism that they only 'viable' path is street kid? If you go corpo, you essentially just get shuffled over to street kid pretty quickly. Same for outlander (or whatever it is called). Like they finished fleshing out the story for street kid first, but ran out of time to even really start on corpo or outlander. I get that its a story, so the paths will converge over time, but from what I heard, the other two paths converge pretty quickly into the street kid path.

I just wanted to play a corpo net-runner that all of a sudden had to deal with the 'ghost' of an anti-establishment (an establishment I benefit from) living in my head.

I went corpo. I find it did not affect gameplay much except for extra dialogue.

I was sucked into it almost immediately just by the character creator and the opening mission.

I played through the game not fully understanding just about anything. I didn't understand how crafting workers, or the stat system (I don't play many RPG) or many of the cyberwear weapons.

I restarted the game after beating it and played through it again focused on learning what I neglected the first time and doing side missions.

Bugs or no bugs, the game is a lot of fun, so long as you have the hardware to run it.

Anything less than a 2080Ti isn't good enough. You need a powerful multicore CPU and you need 32GB DDR4 with an SSD.

this game was NEVER going to work on an old console with a HDD, so they never should have even bothered to try. Granted, GTAV has more sophisticated AI and physics, that game was built specifically for consoles. Cyberpunk 2077 was built for the PC.

PC owners are upgrading.

I sold a 2080Ti to a guy with a 980Ti who couldn't run it at all, and now he's playing on max settings.

Thanks for the tips. I might actually try this game out.

As far as I'm concerned, Cyberpunk was a success for the people with the hardware to play it.

Bought a RTX3090 because it's the only RTX3000 series available... But I feel Cyberpunk alone made it worth it, ray tracing implementation in this game really is game changing, the only problem is that all other games now all seem lesser. It also has the best human skins ever seen in a video game, omg, is it more real than my skin.

lol. My friend plays it on his 2070 just fine. It runs on high/ultra for me with an RX580 but only if I cap fps to 30. otherwise 60 needs everything on medium/low. But a 2060 can run it well, and with dlss performance you can even turn a bunch of stuff to high/ultra and still get 60+ easy. You don't need a powerful CPU really either. an old Ryzen 1600 will run it well. My 2600 barely seems to be taxed, probably cause the old RX580 is holding it back. My friend runs a 2700x and that runs it fine too. Also 16GB DDR4 is more than enough for it. Only way you'd need a powerful cpu and gpu is if trying to run it on ultra in higher than 1080p and with RT on.

If shops start selling the PS4/Xbox One version dirt cheap soon, like £15. It will be good to buy to get access to the free upgrade to PS5/Xbox Series versions, when they finally drop.

PC owners are upgrading.

If you spend more than 3000 dollars on a gaming rig it better be good. Hell will freeze over before I buy a 3090 just to be able to play a game. The rest of the sane world would be better off playing this on Stadia.

Bought a RTX3090 because it's the only RTX3000 series available... But I feel Cyberpunk alone made it worth it, ray tracing implementation in this game really is game changing, the only problem is that all other games now all seem lesser. It also has the best human skins ever seen in a video game, omg, is it more real than my skin.
lol. My friend plays it on his 2070 just fine. It runs on high/ultra for me with an RX580 but only if I cap fps to 30. otherwise 60 needs everything on medium/low. But a 2060 can run it well, and with dlss performance you can even turn a bunch of stuff to high/ultra and still get 60+ easy. You don't need a powerful CPU really either. an old Ryzen 1600 will run it well. My 2600 barely seems to be taxed, probably cause the old RX580 is holding it back. My friend runs a 2700x and that runs it fine too. Also 16GB DDR4 is more than enough for it. Only way you'd need a powerful cpu and gpu is if trying to run it on ultra in higher than 1080p and with RT on.
If shops start selling the PS4/Xbox One version dirt cheap soon, like £15. It will be good to buy to get access to the free upgrade to PS5/Xbox Series versions, when they finally drop.

Cyberpunk definitely looks amazing on the proper monitor with PSYCHO settings. I am using a 34” Alienware curved monitor. It’s fully immersive and beautiful. Night City’s draw distances are believable and the night time lighting effects are almost photo realistic with what I saw in Tokyo.

However, I still have issues with ray-tracing... for example: I can never see myself in a reflection without the game chugging to a halt which is why the mirrors have to be activated and deactivated rather than you just being able to walk past them. I believe PlayStation 5, in games like Spiderman, allow you to see yourself in the reflections against buildings.

I can only ever see my shadow using retracing. How many more generations of retracing GPU do I have to wait to be able to see my shadow and my physical reflection in a mirror?

If you’re able to play this on a 2060, I can only guess that it’s in 1080P and all of the settings are not turned up. This game should have a single “psycho“ mode preset to maximize all settings in the same manner that Crysis had a preset for maximum settings.

Microcenter gets regular deliveries of 3000 series cards. Although they aren’t getting any more FE models beyond the 3070 and the 3060Ti, they get plenty of EVGA 3070, 3080, 3090 as well as Asus and gigabyte weekly.

Back