Dad's computer goes "blue" screen upon start-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habylab

I have tried everything. Safe mode. Debug mode. Last known blah blah blah... It just goes into bluescreen after the "XP loading screen" comes up. What can i do. Can i scan it somehow? I can't even log-on!!!!!!
Please help me.
P.s. i know i have 2 threads at the moment, but they are both as in need as each other!

RE: Dad's computer goes "blue" screen apon start-up

What exactly it does when you boot in safe mode?? When exactly goes in BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death)? If it does not even load the logon can be a HW problem (like e.g. defective RAM). Can you tell me what is written on the BSOD? I have solved many of these issues, I am sure I can help you.

Cheers
G.

Hard drive failure. CPU fan bad; thermal paste has dried up; one memory module is bad; video graphics card failure; power supply is bad on one rail.
A decent power supply tester will cost $10 to $25 and will be helpful for years.
First test: Can you cold boot in Safe Mode? This will tell you a lot about what works. If you get video on the screen in Safe Mode, you can suspect your video card is bad. If it still will not boot in Safe Mode, then it is usually your hard drive that has gone bad, or a defective memory module.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:
1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
2. Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.
3. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in blue at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and then press ENTER.

If you have no experience with SAFE BOOT, here is a overly long description of Safe Boot options
• Safe Mode (SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal): This option uses a minimal set of device drivers and services to start Windows.
• Safe Mode with Networking (SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Network): This option uses a minimal set of device drivers and services to start Windows together with the drivers that you must have to load networking.
• Safe Mode with Command Prompt (SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal(AlternateShell)): This option is the same as Safe mode, except that Cmd.exe starts instead of Windows Explorer.
• Enable VGA Mode: This option starts Windows in 640 x 480 mode by using the current video driver (not Vga.sys). This mode is useful if the display is configured for a setting that the monitor cannot display.

Note Safe mode and Safe mode with Networking load the Vga.sys driver instead.
• Last Known Good Configuration: This option starts Windows by using the previous good configuration.
• Directory Service Restore Mode: This mode is valid only for Windows-based domain controllers. This mode performs a directory service repair.
• Debugging Mode: This option turns on debug mode in Windows. Debugging information can be sent across a serial cable to another computer that is running a debugger. This mode is configured to use COM2.
• Enable Boot Logging: This option turns on logging when the computer is started with any of the Safe Boot options except Last Known Good Configuration. The Boot Logging text is recorded in the Ntbtlog.txt file in the %SystemRoot% folder.
• Starts Windows Normally: This option starts Windows in its normal mode.
• Reboot: This option restarts the computer.
• Return to OS Choices Menu: On a computer that is configured to starting to more than one operating system, this option returns to the Boot menu.

Don't worry guys, thanks but, i wandered off and found the windows recovery cd and repaired it from that. Thanks anyway!

Alexbaum

I have the exact same problem :(:( and i dont have the Reboot Cd what shall i do?? can i buy it somewere can i fix this problem any other way ?? please reply

There are 28 models of the Dell XPS series... which one is it, or give us the service tag number... or more details on that unit.

Usually, the problem is a driver issue. Download all the latest drivers from the Dell site for the XPS 600. Once you have them in a location where you can find them. Delete or disable the old drives and install the new ones, one at a time.
Also check your thermal past on your CPU-Heatsink to be certain it is not dried out, and not too thin or too thick.
Also, if you bought the Dell from Dell, they will send you a new disk set One Time, upon request.
The problem with Blue Screens are usually hardware issues or drivers, and it becomes trial and error to fix them.
There are no known issues with that Dell series that makes it a common issue.

Usually, the problem is a driver issue. Download all the latest drivers from the Dell site for the XPS 600. Once you have them in a location where you can find them. Delete or disable the old drives and install the new ones, one at a time.
Also check your thermal past on your CPU-Heatsink to be certain it is not dried out, and not too thin or too thick.
Also, if you bought the Dell from Dell, they will send you a new disk set One Time, upon request.
The problem with Blue Screens are usually hardware issues or drivers, and it becomes trial and error to fix them.
There are no known issues with that Dell series that makes it a common issue.

how can i download all these drivers from the dell site for xps 600 if i cant turn on my computer... it goes blue screen... shall i put these drivers on a disc and insert them in my computer?

Well, you are screwed if you have no friends whose computer you can use, and if you have no telephone so you cannot call Dell Tech Support and buy the disk of drivers, or if you do not live near a library or a school which has public computers available for use.

Hey Alexbaum

Lol man, you seem to be typing these posts just fine .... why don't you use the computer you used to type them? I'm sure that downloading is one of it's capabilities :)

Spyder_1386 :)

Well, you are screwed if you have no friends whose computer you can use, and if you have no telephone so you cannot call Dell Tech Support and buy the disk of drivers, or if you do not live near a library or a school which has public computers available for use.

well ofc i got a computer... but the problem is on a other computer .. shall i get the drivers on a cd and put it in my computer with this problem? and what drivers do i need?

My friend had the same problem by this.He fixed all of this by downloading

http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/?ref=google_rm&gclid=CNHNqu2PwZgCFQJKtAodLnWJaA

Dont know if this will fix it. But if i download what progrem should i use to burn it to another disc??

well i found out that it was the drivers problem... I cant reinstall windows since its not finding my Hard drives, any idea how to fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back