Das Keyboard 5Q and X50Q Review: "Smart" Mechanical Keyboards

Julio Franco

Staff member
I had a Logitech G-series keyboard that had an LCD screen that could display RSS feeds. This is hardly the first 'cloud connected' keyboard.

Great keyboard, pricey but worth the build quality. Own 2 of these, one at work, and one for home. Great build and quality. The tactile feel of these switches. Its really a smart keyboard

Waste of money. If you're going to get all the gimmicky crap, then go for it. Otherwise, you're spending more for something that simply doesn't offer much more than any other gamer keyboard half its price. I have a $60 GMMK that I put custom switches in and can be hot-swapped any time. Worst part is the lighting/software, which I hope they address.

I'm also not a fan of the "smart" crap everyone keeps shoving down our throats. None of it does what I need it to when I need it to and I sure as hell don't want it anywhere near my other accounts (which for this you'll have to give them access to).

They also said this DAS software will have an open API, which means it's even more likely someone will be able to tap into whatever you're connected to and get the information they want on you. It's one of those familiar company strategies "let's be lazy and let the community do our work for us and so that we can say we're not really liable for whatever happens afterwards."

Add to that the fact that after spending all this time not looking at your keyboard while you type, you'll now be constantly looking at your keyboard? They advertise this for people who don't want to be constantly checking notifications, but it's not like the keyboard giving you some kind of alert is going to very informative anyway. You'll see the blink, then go through the steps you normally do.

Last edited:
This is the best and most beautiful keyboard I have ever had, and since I had computers, there have been many of them! Interestingly, it is smart and act smartly. Wow!!

Excellent keyboard!
Every key can light up individually to any colour, light distribution is very good, brightness is good.
Aluminum top plate and hand rest are sturdy and well constructed.
The magnetic palm rest mount is nice, and attaches nicely to the keyboard.

Back