Data plans made US carriers more money than voice services in 2013

Justin Kahn

Data usage has become extremely popular as we all know, but in the fourth quarter of 2013 it became a larger revenue source for mobile carriers than voice usage.

In Q3 2013, mobile data revenue grew by 20% year over year (5% quarter over quarter) to $24.8 billion, slightly edging out voice service revenue, according to industry analyst Chetan Sharma. According to Sharma, who predicted the two services would flip in popularity last year, carriers brought in around $90 billion from mobile data plans in the US.

Sharma says that the US is likely to become the first country to hit the $100 billion mark in terms of mobile data plan revenue. Even though the US was the seventh country where data usage revenue beat out voice services, Sharma feels the country will hit the milestone even before places like Japan where data usage revenue already significantly out weighs that of voice services.

Based on reports, some are suggesting that data is likely to become the driving force behind the US mobile business moving forward, leaving what was once its bread and butter in the dust. The chart above shows Sharma's predictions for how the US will hit the $100 billion mark along with some history of its growth over the past decade or so.

Permalink to story.

USA mobile services are an absolute rip off, sure America is a big country to cover but there are millions of customers

I pay in the UK £8:88 including 20% tax
Unlimited landline
Fair use data
300 Mins
300 Text
admittedly I use my own phone but even so.

USA mobile services are an absolute rip off, sure America is a big country to cover but there are millions of customers

I pay in the UK £8:88 including 20% tax
Unlimited landline
Fair use data
300 Mins
300 Text
admittedly I use my own phone but even so.

Is that about $15 then? Cheapest options for me are about $45 a month if I want data at all.

It should only cost the $10 a month for unlimited everything. People here in America are retarded, they just accept it because the duopolies convinced the public this is the best they can do.

It should only cost the $10 a month for unlimited everything. People here in America are retarded, they just accept it because the duopolies convinced the public this is the best they can do.

It's easy to call people retarded, but what are you to do if you don't have much choice? You go to one carrier and they want $45 a month for what you need and then you go to another and they want the same $45 a month, and so on. What are you going to do? Not get a plan at all? How would doing so lower the inflated rates some people are currently paying? I don't get it.

Its not just wireless prices that are insane in America. Almost everything is now thanks to the exploding welfare state and the insatiable greed of the so-called 1%. The working class gets it from both sides and has no voice whatsoever. Frankly I don't see any way around a complete economic collapse within the next 15 years..and probably sooner than later.

Its not just wireless prices that are insane in America. Almost everything is now thanks to the exploding welfare state and the insatiable greed of the so-called 1%. The working class gets it from both sides and has no voice whatsoever. Frankly I don't see any way around a complete economic collapse within the next 15 years..and probably sooner than later.
I find my biggest outrage in the fact the the welfare class have the most children, and of course the government has to pick up the the tab for their relentless and unrepentant breeding habits.

But what really pisses me off, is they do the most running of their yaps, about the quality of schools, and how their children are "entitled" to the best education possible, at of course, no cost to them.

But, the school taxes are tied to real estate taxes, which of course they don't pay. The singles and middle class get banged up twice, (*), to educate an entire segment of the population we'd be better off without.

@psycros How was that, did I help articulate your rage to your satisfaction?

(*) Actually four times, federal, state, local, and real estate taxes, are all dipped into for education.

Last edited:
So are you blaming high data charges on Welfare? Surely it is more down to the broken capitalist system in the West. So many of the big companies are now owned by venture capitalists who export the profits offshore and strip the capital. The Governments are just afraid to challenge these economic bully boys.

So are you blaming high data charges on Welfare? Surely it is more down to the broken capitalist system in the West. So many of the big companies are now owned by venture capitalists who export the profits offshore and strip the capital. The Governments are just afraid to challenge these economic bully boys.
In point of fact welfare is to blame. Politicians get the votes to tip an election in their favor, from those welfare recipients.They do so by pushing an agenda couched in pandering to the needs of the "huddled masses yearning to get more government benefits"!

After they're elected, they pander to the "needs", of large corporate entities. And can you honestly say that the telecoms, aren't "large corporate entities"?

This is evidenced by the recent rash of, "free cellular phones to the needy".. I doubt he telecoms eat the losses on these giveaways, they're in your data charges.

I know people in involved in social work, and they tell me the recipients of these free phones, are constantly complaining that they're, "not given enough free minutes"!

And without exaggeration, what they're doing is sitting on their duffs, stuffing their yaps with carbs, provided by food stamps, and running their yaps pointlessly, and incessantly on their free phones.

I just have to look out my front window to see one salient use of the cell phone. You use them to call your dealer, once you're in front of his, (or her), front door, in order to not scare the s*** out of them, by not calling before you knock.

But yeah, America has manage to confuse "utopia", with "dystopia", in a big, big, way.

But, you've managed to miss predicating welfare interests, on the interests of American big business.

In point of fact welfare is to blame. Politicians get the votes to tip an election in their favor, from those welfare recipients.They do so by pushing an agenda couched in pandering to the needs of the "huddled masses yearning to get more government benefits"!

After they're elected, they pander to the "needs", of large corporate entities. And can you honestly say that the telecoms, aren't "large corporate entities"?

This is evidenced by the recent rash of, "free cellular phones to the needy".. I doubt he telecoms eat the losses on these giveaways, they're in your data charges.

I know people in involved in social work, and they tell me the recipients of these free phones, are constantly complaining that they're, "not given enough free minutes"!

And without exaggeration, what they're doing is sitting on their duffs, stuffing their yaps with carbs, provided by food stamps, and running their yaps pointlessly, and incessantly on their free phones.

I just have to look out my front window to see one salient use of the cell phone. You use them to call your dealer, once you're in front of his, (or her), front door, in order to not scare the s*** out of them, by not calling before you knock.

But yeah, America has manage to confuse "utopia", with "dystopia", in a big, big, way.

But, you've managed to miss predicating welfare interests, on the interests of American big business.
Well I dare say many Americans believe the simplistic views peddled on Fox News. I don't believe that welfare is the reason for America's or Europes economic woes. It it just a convenient target for the Politicians who allowed the overpaid but vastly under qualified bankers to ruin the economy.

What is shocking is that these bankers are still earning vast salaries and bonuses but most of the banks are still making losses. what is the greatest follys is the monetarist policy which we have had to suffer in the UK for the past four years.

Well I dare say many Americans believe the simplistic views peddled on Fox News. I don't believe that welfare is the reason for America's or Europes economic woes. It it just a convenient target for the Politicians who allowed the overpaid but vastly under qualified bankers to ruin the economy.
No, it actually isn't. The bankers don't pay taxes to support the welfare state, the middle class does.

Besides, since we're talking about, "1 percenters" when referring to bankers, even if they did pay taxes commensurate with their incomes, the burden of the welfare state still falls on the shoulders on the middle class, that shrinking rapidly, 80% percent of wherever's population.

Our large cities now longer have much in the way of manufacturing assets. What they do have, is armies of parasites, such as "accident lawyers", "grief counselors", yeah, and welfare caseworkers.

Besides, I don't watch Fox News. I do however, live in a place that abounds in welfare abuse.

The American economy's budget is into the trillions of dollars. All that money you claim the bankers are stealing, is but a drop in the bucket.

Have you evaluated you news source recently?

Besides, the American telecoms, are profiting from the fact that Americans have too much free time on their hands, have lost the genetic ability to simply shut their f***ing mouths, and are also too stupid to know how badly they're being ripped off.

And BTW, there wouldn't have been a recession, if those big, bad, predatory bankers, didn't have the stupidest set of marks in the world to prey on. Can you say, "sub-prime mortgage". Somebody had to be ploddingly stupid enough to, "sign on that dotted line". You betcha, the American public.

Last edited:
No, it actually isn't. The bankers don't pay taxes to support the welfare state, the middle class does.

Besides, since we're talking about, "1 percenters" when referring to bankers, even if they did pay taxes commensurate with their incomes, the burden of the welfare state still falls on the shoulders on the middle class, that shrinking rapidly, 80% percent of wherever's population.

Our large cities now longer have much in the way of manufacturing assets. What they do have, is armies of parasites, such as "accident lawyers", "grief counselors", yeah, and welfare caseworkers.

Besides, I don't watch Fox News. I do however, live in a place that abounds in welfare abuse.

The American economy's budget is into the trillions of dollars. All that money you claim the bankers are stealing, is but a drop in the bucket.

Have you evaluated you news source recently?

Besides, the American telecoms, are profiting from the fact that Americans have too much free time on their hands, have lost the genetic ability to simply shut their f***ing mouths, and are also too stupid to know how badly they're being ripped off.

And BTW, there wouldn't have been a recession, if those big, bad, predatory bankers, didn't have the stupidest set of marks in the world to prey on. Can you say, "sub-prime mortgage". Somebody had to be ploddingly stupid enough to, "sign on that dotted line". You betcha, the American public.
You are absolutely correct that the middle classes are taking the biggest hit. However I did not accuse the bankers of stealing but of mismanagement. In the States you had your Sub Prime crisis but in the UK most of our banks ended up in public ownership as part of the bail out. In our case the banks failed as their asset base had been allowed to diminish so that they were unable to ride the storm. The recovery is taking a while as they are having to pay millions in compensation in respect of insurance miss selling. Despite this they are still expecting bonuses!

Judging from your comments I suspect we must have a different interpretation of what constitutes Welfare. In the UK I think the balance is about right. We do pay National Insurance Contributions out of our salary in return we get free healthcare, unemployment benefit and the state pension. Under that systems some benefit more than others but overall it is fair. It is far from perfect and I am concerned about cuts in budgets that will make things worse for all. What we need is for the Government to spend more on capital projects to kickstart a sustainable recovery not one just based on retail.

You are absolutely correct that the middle classes are taking the biggest hit. However I did not accuse the bankers of stealing but of mismanagement. In the States you had your Sub Prime crisis but in the UK most of our banks ended up in public ownership as part of the bail out. In our case the banks failed as their asset base had been allowed to diminish so that they were unable to ride the storm. The recovery is taking a while as they are having to pay millions in compensation in respect of insurance miss selling. Despite this they are still expecting bonuses!
OK, same here. Our "subprime mortgage " disaster, had to have home buyers complicit in the scheme, before it could ruin our economy. In other words, people who couldn't afford a house, had to go ahead and buy them anyway. And a bunch of greedy mutts, had to lend them the money to get in over their heads.
The "variable rate" scam, just reared it's head with our people's electric bills. As soon as the citizens of PA were allowed to shop for an electric supplier, platoons of "electricty salesmen" hit the streets with glorious stories of how much people were going to save, by getting their power from," XYZ Power International". And of course, many customers chose a "variable rate plan", because it was so darn cheap in the month they signed the contract. Of course, the coldest month of the year, the price for a KWH of electricity, multiplied by 2 1/2 fold, pushing the normally $300.00 electric bill to $800.00. So yeah, that's the variable rate mortgage ripoff, just applied to a different commodity.

All of that notwithstanding, considering the level of fraud and theft on the part of bank execs, a suitable punishment for which, should actually be raised to a capital offense.

This is another reason I have a deep seated hatred of our public broadcasting system. They give people a voice, that tell BS stories like this; "we put $3,000.00 down, on a $400,000.00 house that we can't afford to pay for, and now we're going to sue Wells Fargo for giving us the mortgage". I'd say to them, why don't you skip the lawsuit, and go borrow your next house payment from a Nigerian prince. No one in America is responsible for their own actions. It's always the fault of someone else. You'd think they'd be too embarrassed to have their abject stupidity broadcast, but no, they're entirely shameless.

Judging from your comments I suspect we must have a different interpretation of what constitutes Welfare.
My "welfare" is your "dole"

In the UK I think the balance is about right. We do pay National Insurance Contributions out of our salary in return we get free healthcare, unemployment benefit and the state pension.
Your "state pension" is our, "social security". And it too, is supposed to be retirement income. The trouble here is, they're getting illegitimate children put on it at birth. Why, you ask? Because they're, "entitled to it". So, yes really, we have a chunk of the population that effectively retires at birth, and battalions of lawyers that specialize in making it happen for them.

Under that systems some benefit more than others but overall it is fair. It is far from perfect and I am concerned about cuts in budgets that will make things worse for all. What we need is for the Government to spend more on capital projects to kickstart a sustainable recovery not one just based on retail.
OK,, a "sustainable recovery", is not entirely possible, within the modern day social structure,employment opportunities, or even the willingness to work, of most modern day Brits or Americans..

You, or rather we, have nothing but a majority of people that take from the system. If you're not going to support your money with silver or gold, then your have to inject manufactured goods, products for sale abroad, grow stuff on farms, chop down trees, or frack for natural gas. I realize that modern day economics aren't that simple to explain. I also realize that modern economics aren't the gross distortions of fact that economists, politicians, and real estate developers portray them as either. Most of the crap circulating about our economies, makes fairy tales seem like documentaries.

A "lawyer", is a parasite that drains the system. There are hosts of other employment categories that fit into that same description. In fact, large cities are full to the brim with them. And they siphon off the "currency", that farmers, lumberjacks, fishermen and even oilmen create.

The world situation created in, "The Hunger Games", really isn't as far from the truth, as most people would like to comfort themselves by believing it is.

And to put this rant back on topic, telecom execs, and the companies they represent, have become some of the biggest parasites of all!

Last edited:
Back