Death Stranding gameplay trailer is full of intrigue

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Highly anticipated: Hideo Kojima is vowing a genre-defining gameplay experience with Death Stranding and if anyone can deliver on that bold promise, it's him. There appears to be a lot more going on here than initially meets the eye and I can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Death Stranding, the first creation from legendary game designer Hideo Kojima’s new Kojima Productions studio (after disbanding from Konami), was first announced at E3 2016. Two years later, we’ve got a new trailer to soak in, this time complete with early gameplay footage.

Still, we’re not exactly sure what we’re looking at.

Death Stranding stars The Walking Dead’s Norman Reedus as Sam Bridges, or “the man who delivers,” and Mads Mikkelsen as an antagonist via voice acting and motion capture. The latest trailer shows Sam trekking across rugged landscapes and traversing mountains, at times with what appears to be a full-grown human body in tow (and at other times, a fetus). At one point, he even rips off a seemingly infected toenail. Ouch.

The meat of the trailer highlights what appears to be invisible monsters (no pun intended), eluding to the presence of other dimensions a la Stranger Things and perhaps some sort of play with time.

Some might have already picked up on this, but Sam is unlike any other hero you may have seen in games before. A typical hero is usually some sort of elite or someone with a military background. Sam is not. He is a working man of sorts — a hands-on professional. Someone with a skillset akin to a blue-collar worker. This is something you’ll intuitively understand once you play the game and control Sam. Herein lies our challenge, to create both a new form of gameplay and a hero that has never been done before.

Kojima penned a lengthy post on the official PlayStation blog that goes into the game’s development thus far, its cast of characters and his hope for the game – that it’ll deliver something for people around the world that transcends generations.

Death Stranding doesn’t yet have a release date and based on Kojima’s language, it could still be a ways off.

Permalink to story.

Eh looked boring af to me.. Mailman Simulator: Beware the Shadow Dogs

done with egobrain Kojima

Yea, I'm really not intrigued at all with this. Wish Konami didn't blow it with them working on Silent Hill. I was alot more interested in it.

In the Gaming world, "full of intrigue" is a polite way of saying " full of massive, expensive and clueless turds"

So, a PS4 Exclusive eh? Too bad, looks really cool!
It's using the Decima engine and is funded by Sony (for both development and marketing).
Kojima basically got a free modern engine, a blank check and was told to do whatever the hell he wanted... and it shows so far :D

Eh looked boring af to me.. Mailman Simulator: Beware the Shadow Dogs

done with egobrain Kojima
How can you call it "boring" when you don't know anything about it? We've yet to see any real gameplay and the story is a complete mystery.
It's like calling the bride "ugly" when all you know is that a wedding is going to happen and you've never seen the girl or even the dress.

How can you call it "boring" when you don't know anything about it? We've yet to see any real gameplay and the story is a complete mystery.
It's like calling the bride "ugly" when all you know is that a wedding is going to happen and you've never seen the girl or even the dress.
They did show real gameplay, where were you? They showed Norman Reedus walking around the country side with a bunch of different deliveries, some can even float.. hmm I can call it boring by judging the man's past work and reputation as a cinematic cut-scene abuser, now you let him get free reign and hire a bunch of real actors so he can finally make the cut-scenes of his dreams? 5% game 95% cutscenes. yeah not much to be hyped about here..
It's using the Decima engine and is funded by Sony (for both development and marketing).
Kojima basically got a free modern engine, a blank check and was told to do whatever the hell he wanted... and it shows so far :D
What exactly is shown that has got you so convinced or are you just fanboying that hard over some cutscenes?

They did show real gameplay, where were you? They showed Norman Reedus walking around the country side with a bunch of different deliveries, some can even float.. hmm I can call it boring by judging the man's past work and reputation as a cinematic cut-scene abuser, now you let him get free reign and hire a bunch of real actors so he can finally make the cut-scenes of his dreams? 5% game 95% cutscenes. yeah not much to be hyped about here..

What exactly is shown that has got you so convinced or are you just fanboying that hard over some cutscenes?
If that is "gameplay" then I must be blind. They just showed some cuts of him walking around with a cinematic camera that will clearly not be in the game like that.
And again you are making a whole lot of assumptions. Where are you getting those numbers? You may have a problem with these trailers, but talking about the game like you've already completed it, when you know nothing about it, is just you throwing shade on a very respected game developer. Do you hate popular things?
If you have a problem with how Kojima uses cutscenes or stuff like that then just say so. Not everybody liked the very long cutscenes from the MGS series. Just stop talking out of your ars, it's annoying.

I can call it boring by judging the man's past work and reputation as a cinematic cut-scene abuser
So lets take Metal Gear Solid 2 as an example.

I don't know if you've ever played MGS 2, but the material before the games release didn't show at all how the game played. Here's a link to it from E3 in 2000

MGS 2 comes to mind because it's the only game from Hideo Kojima I've ever completed from start to finish. Just saying, you sound more like a hater than a critique of his work as you clearly haven't seen his past work...

Last edited:
So lets take Metal Gear Solid 2 as an example.

I don't know if you've ever played MGS 2, but the material before the games release didn't show at all how the game played. Here's a link to it from E3 in 2000

MGS 2 comes to mind because it's the only game from Hideo Kojima I've ever completed from start to finish. Just saying, you sound more like a hater than a critique of his work as you clearly haven't seen his past work...
..I used to beat MGS2 in single sittings for fun..
IDK what you just saw, but what I just watched in your linked video was literal gameplay from MGS2 just with a different camera angle..wtf are you talking about? It showed snake shooting ppl, rolling down stairs, hiding from enemies, checking out lockers, EXACTLY what the gameplay was like.. hell even the graphics were exactly the same did you even watch the video you linked? Did you play MGS4 that game was a cutscene RECORD SETTER! 71 minute cutscene! Kojima set world records by having the longest cutscenes in a game...
If that is "gameplay" then I must be blind. They just showed some cuts of him walking around with a cinematic camera that will clearly not be in the game like that.
And again you are making a whole lot of assumptions. Where are you getting those numbers? You may have a problem with these trailers, but talking about the game like you've already completed it, when you know nothing about it, is just you throwing shade on a very respected game developer. Do you hate popular things?
If you have a problem with how Kojima uses cutscenes or stuff like that then just say so. Not everybody liked the very long cutscenes from the MGS series. Just stop talking out of your ars, it's annoying.
I already did bro, that is what you replied to...So what perspective do you think the camera would follow while Norman traverses to his next delivery? I can picture it being exactly the way it was shown, Kojima is Mr. Cinematic. I bet the egobrain breaks his own cut-scene records.. LMAOO

..I used to beat MGS2 in single sittings for fun..
IDK what you just saw, but what I just watched in your linked video was literal gameplay from MGS2 just with a different camera angle..
Yeah my bad, I remember it VERY differently and didn't watch it when I linked it to you, it is basically gameplay with different angles instead.
Did you play MGS4 that game was a cutscene RECORD SETTER! 71 minute cutscene! Kojima set world records by having the longest cutscenes in a game...
Nope, never played more than a couple of hours of MGS3 and haven't played a Hideo Kojima game since. And I'm still less butt hurt over this trailer than you are.

Yeah my bad, I remember it VERY differently and didn't watch it when I linked it to you, it is basically gameplay with different angles instead.

Nope, never played more than a couple of hours of MGS3 and haven't played a Hideo Kojima game since. And I'm still less butt hurt over this trailer than you are.
Wow... LOL.. I could give two turds about egobrain Kojima and his new game. I do care about the sheepish gamers who are praising this game like it is a gift from a god.

Wow... LOL.. I could give two turds about egobrain Kojima and his new game. I do care about the sheepish gamers who are praising this game like it is a gift from a god.
So in the end if he makes a good game (just like he has done in the past) you'll still hate it because many people like him? ha.. haha... hahahahaha
Let me guess... you are jealous and want to be praised just like that too.

Yeah dude, people will praise him like he's some god because he's been part of most of our life making great games for decades. People will praise him just like they will continue to praise John Carmack, Gabe Newell, Sid Meier and the god of all gaming gods Shigeru Miyamoto.

Last edited:
So in the end if he makes a good game (just like he has done in the past) you'll still hate it because many people like him? ha.. haha... hahahahaha
Let me guess... you are jealous and want to be praised just like that too.

Yeah dude, people will praise him like he's some god because he's been part of most of our life making great games for decades. People will praise him just like they will continue to praise John Carmack, Gabe Newell, Sid Meier and the god of all gaming gods Shigeru Miyamoto.
I bet you pre-order

Back