Death Stranding gets January 30 launch date on select Apple devices

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Apple is adding another AAA game to its platform later this month. Following a brief delay from publisher 505 Games, the Hideo Kojima creation is now slated to arrive on select iOS devices and Mac on January 30.

The Director's Cut of Death Stranding will hit the App Store as a universal purchase that is compatible with the iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, and iPad and macOS devices with the M1 chip or later. The game carries a Mature rating from the ESRB and will normally be priced at $39.99 but for a limited time, it is available to pre-order for only $19.99.

Death Stranding is the latest AAA title to make the jump to Apple's ecosystem. Last year, Capcom brought Resident Evil Village and the remake of Resident Evil 4 to select Apple devices, and 2024 is expected to deliver additional hits including Assassin's Creed Mirage and Tom Clancy's The Division Resurgence.

In related news, the company behind the Backbone game controller has announced a limited edition Death Stranding variant that includes a free copy of the game for Apple's platform. Some are already poking fun at the controller, saying it looks like urine. Pricing will reportedly be set at $125.

Death Stranding launched as a PlayStation 4 exclusive in 2019 before expanding to Windows the following year and PS5 in 2021. It was the first game from Kojima since leaving Konami in 2015 and was generally well received.

Kojima shared a four-minute teaser for a sequel at The Game Awards in 2022 set to launch on PS5 and according to recent rumors, more news on the game is expected in the next couple of weeks. One oft-reliable source claims the game will be called Death Stranding 2: On The Beach.

Kojima Productions and Hammerstone Studios are additionally working on a film adaptation, which was also announced in December 2022. Last December, it was revealed that Kojima Productions was teaming up with A24 (Uncut Gems) to help with the live-action flick.

Permalink to story.

That's an shltty game I uninstalled after 10 minutes, was free on Epic...
You can say you don't like it, but not that it is a shItty game. I personally, loved the game, first game in a while that I've spent over 100 hours and completed all achievements. It's not for everybody, certainly not for someone with a maximum ten minutes attention span.

Uninstalled It twice. Frustration was out of the chart.
After finally learning the mechanics, one of the best games I've ever played.
Hideo is really sick in the head. And Genius.

Wonderful. I can play Walking Simulator while I walk around.
What a great joke, heard it a thousand times before. "Walking simulator" is a title given by people who watched a 5 min YouTube video or played for 5-10 min and then went back to Fortnite. You actually get a trike, some trucks and other vehicles later, but that's not the point. The point is the story and Kojima is great for delivering that. It's a learning process and gameplay is tailored for that, but again, not recommended for a short attention span person.

What a great joke, heard it a thousand times before. "Walking simulator" is a title given by people who watched a 5 min YouTube video or played for 5-10 min and then went back to Fortnite. You actually get a trike, some trucks and other vehicles later, but that's not the point. The point is the story and Kojima is great for delivering that. It's a learning process and gameplay is tailored for that, but again, not recommended for a short attention span person.
I played 3hrs and uninstalled it because it was so boring (and so random a story). It's an accurate description. Try again.

I played 3hrs and uninstalled it because it was so boring (and so random a story). It's an accurate description. Try again.
You called it a walking simulator, so, you played for three hours and didn't get the trike? Well, it's not your kind of game then.

The game really is outstanding in many ways, the art direction, graphics, really impressive... But the gameplay really is not my cup of tea... The main challenge of this game is playing the game itself.

That's an shltty game I uninstalled after 10 minutes, was free on Epic...
You're missing a solid point. This company may have found it's perfect audience. Crappy game on the Crapple platform. It's a match made in Tim Cook's vertical smile, perfect in every way, is it not?

You're missing a solid point. This company may have found it's perfect audience. Crappy game on the Crapple platform. It's a match made in Tim Cook's vertical smile, perfect in every way, is it not?
Good point !

Back