Delete the Windows.old Folder and Save Space (Again)

Once you already have the Windows 10 upgrade, you can create a USB installation with Windows 10 via software freely available on the Microsoft site (You need to be registered as having the upgrade). I did this and was able to completely wipe my drive clean of all data and partitions. I created a new partition and was able to install a "Full" Windows 10 install for free, without re-installing the original OEM operating system, in my case it was Windows 7, make sure you choose the "Home" version if you got the free upgrade. When I did the upgrade I had a lot of bugs and glitches, now with a full install my Windows 10 installation is running perfectly and there is no Windows.old folder because I didn't upgrade. Just putting this out there for those who don't know that this is an available option.

Faster way from Microsoft help:
1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Settings, then select it from the list of results.
2. Select System > Storage  > This PC, then scroll down the list and select Temporary files.
3. Under Previous version of Windows, select Delete previous versions, then select Delete.

Faster way from Microsoft help:
1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Settings, then select it from the list of results.
2. Select System > Storage  > This PC, then scroll down the list and select Temporary files.
3. Under Previous version of Windows, select Delete previous versions, then select Delete.
Indeed, that works, too. Be careful what you select however because it lists your downloads folder within the temporary files and you may be storing valuable stuff there you just haven't moved elsewhere yet.

Using Touch on all of those check boxes looks as unfriendly as ever (fat finger touch results in check one, UN check the one above/below for those wondering), among other UI issues with Win 10 in a Touch only environment (and having it reset to defaults after is irritating as well).
Member of the Preview, and disheartened about the rhetoric regarding input/suggestions from that program improving the Win 10 experience. Guessing that there are too few Touch only users to move the needle, as, in That environment, the Win 10 Microsoft apps' UI is a PITA at times.

Once you already have the Windows 10 upgrade, you can create a USB installation with Windows 10 via software freely available on the Microsoft site (You need to be registered as having the upgrade). I did this and was able to completely wipe my drive clean of all data and partitions. I created a new partition and was able to install a "Full" Windows 10 install for free, without re-installing the original OEM operating system, in my case it was Windows 7, make sure you choose the "Home" version if you got the free upgrade. When I did the upgrade I had a lot of bugs and glitches, now with a full install my Windows 10 installation is running perfectly and there is no Windows.old folder because I didn't upgrade. Just putting this out there for those who don't know that this is an available option.

yeah the digital license has been a thing since launch. But now they actually attach your license to a Microsoft account, I just moved the same license between 4 computers with different hardware no issues, was kinda amazed.

Thanks. I noticed the folder, though if it's automatically deleted after a while I have no problem waiting for that to happen.

Also, if you are running dated tablet with very limited space like I did with my 16GB tab, you can insert a flash drive that will be occupied during the upgrade, and will let you install the update despite running out of C: space. Windows update assistant app says it doesn't work but just let the download continue in the settings page.

after all that, run disk cleanup for C: and the occupied space in your flash drive will be deleted altogether.

Yes, the article got revised, new screenshots added, and text updated for Fall Creators Update.

Back