Dell Inspiron 1100 memory upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

the grip

This forum has given me alot of advise on speeding up my laptop. I have upgraded my chipset driver and tried to configured my Internet security (Kaspersky 7.0) so that it would not scan on startup and stopped my mail and spam watch since I don't have Outlook. This helped some, but I still have issues when I'm on the internet and downloading files or multi-tasking with other windows open. I also have received what you call the BSOD 3 times in the last month when I have had multiple windows open and the internet running for a long time. I do not know what the screen said, and after seeing the forums on the BSOD I know to see what the problem is when or if it happens again.

I was thinking of upgrading my memory. Right now I have 2 slots with 128mb in each. I was going to upgrade to 1G. After looking at my system configuration I found that I only have 11.37% of memory left. Do you think this will help my laptop run faster? It was also reccommended to upgrade the BIOS - I did this from A21 to A32. I would eventually like to upgrade my Windows XP Pro from SP2 to SP3. Should I do this now or get the memory upgrade and then do it. Any advise would be appreciated and please I'm not that computer savy so be specific.

One more thing I was trying to spell check this, but found that I needed to download iespell. I tried to do this and it would still not work - so I uninstalled it. I then decided to go to the iespell website and try again. When I tried to do this again it told me that a file from SP2 was missing and I needed to insert the disk...the file was A:\i386. Why? and what should I do ? Thanks again for the advise and sorry I was long winded.

I figured since I started here I would keep going...I've decided that since I'm upgrading the ram and might as well go the HD too...I have a Toshiba 30g ATA and I'm thinking about going for a Western Digital Scorpio 120G ATA. I read reviews and think this is a good product, but a trust you guys here so I would like your opinion.

I'm also going to clean the Cooling Assembly while I'm inside the computer...This will be the first time I'll do this all myself so if there is any tips or advise that anyone has it would also be appreciated. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back