Dell Inspiron 1525 Boot

jmdlcar

I had a boot problem that it would not boot at all so I got Easy Recovery for Windows Vista.

When I try and boot the laptop it start then I get a blue screen then it try and reboot again. I don't know what the blue screen is because it dose it too fast. What could be my problem now?

I found out the Hard Drive is bad. Is there away to copy recovery partition to another Hard Drive so I can restore it? I don't have a DVD recovery disk. Can this be done?

Go to BIOS and turn off automatic restart on error. When you reboot system try to do a 'safe mode' (for many machines it is press (and hold down for some) the F8 just as machine starts.

If you can get into Windows, back up important files, get your 'key' for Windows, AND make a recovery disk.

If you BSOD, it should now stay on screen so you can write down error code and faulting application or driver.

IF you have not cleaned your system in years, you may need to do so as trapped heat may cause symptoms like yours.

There is not thing wrong with the computer because it been running with a USB version of Linux for 2 days now. I rebooted when I did a update. I will get back later on what I find out.

Which means the problem is in your Windows software (drivers, .dll, services, etc) or your HDD

Go to BIOS and turn off automatic restart on error. When you reboot system try to do a 'safe mode' (for many machines it is press (and hold down for some) the F8 just as machine starts.

If you can get into Windows, back up important files, get your 'key' for Windows, AND make a recovery disk.

If you BSOD, it should now stay on screen so you can write down error code and faulting application or driver.

Which means the problem is in your Windows software (drivers, .dll, services, etc) or your HDD

I try Safe mode and I got a error too.

I'm on SocSec so I would hold off spending much more on this..

You said, "There is not thing wrong with the computer because it been running with a USB version of Linux for 2 days now."
and So, can you access files on HDD from Linux? Yes
and Can you copy them? Yes

If you have retrieved your files, then all you really need is:
- the Windows Vista 'key'
- a legal copy of Windows Vista (just borrow from any one of your geek friends)
While you may be able to do a 'repair', since you have recovered all your files (I hope you have!!) - then you can do a clean reinstall. You can regain the Vista key from the HDD in a couple of ways...this may help:
http://www.howtogeek.com/64600/how-to-recover-windows-and-software-keys-from-a-broken-computer/

The issue with running Vista is that it is NOT supported. The issue with Windows 10 is that the machine isn't supported. So, maybe you should consider a clean install of Linux and put your money into the next machine.

My Windows Vista 'key' is on the bottom of my Laptop. My problem is no one I know has Vista they all have 7 and I even have a copy of 7.

I was thinking of putting Linux Mint Cinnamon on it and it should run great on it.

And yes I did make a copy or backup of "C:/Users/*.*" that the directory of Windows files are at.

I been with Linux little over a month now and it been running great.

Since I got this Laptop I upgraded the Memory I put 4GB in it, Bluetooth in yesterday, Webcam later this week on order and I going to install a T8100 or T8300 CPU later next month. Is there anything else I can do?

Oh yes I need a touch pen for the touchpad cause it dose some strange thing by move and delete thing on the the screen from time and time. Any idea on what kind I need I'm not sure? I think 2 kinds of touch pen.

Wikipedia is not really a sufficient assurance that you can upgrade to any specific CPU. You ought to confirm that BIOS you have does in fact include the specific instructions to support a specific CPU on a specific motherboard.

Speccy and Belarc Advisor might tell you your current specifics, but I am unsure you will find the specific confirmation as the machine is out of production 7 years now. Information which used to be available at Dell appears to have been removed.

If you decide to go ahead as an experimental project, use YouTube videos to guide you during 'surgery' - keep notes - organize parts carefully - have thermal paste and cleaning materials at hand. Foil and ribbon connectors are a bear, so inspect with magnification to be sure of how it operates before you attempt disconnect.

I just install the T8100 CPU and my Laptop seen the new CPU and seem to be running OK. I wanted a T8300 but couldn't get one at the time I order this one. This was the 2nd CPU I did this year.

Back