Dell restocks Adamo XPS, retracts previous claims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Retracting its previous claims, Dell has restocked its Adamo XPS. Earlier this month, the company's online store stopped selling the ultra-thin notebook, and only a limited stock was available through a handful of major retailers. When questioned about the sudden lack of supply, Dell explained that the Adamo XPS was intended as a special edition "engineering marvel" meant to show off the company's capabilities.

Just over a week later, the overpriced system is back online and Dell is backpedaling. The company now says it deliberately restricted sales to control demand and prevent excessive ship times. Dell says it never planned to discontinue the Adamo XPS, and sales have been strong both online and in stores. Apparently, misinformed sales reps are to blame for incorrectly spreading word that the system was near the end of its lifecycle.

The Adamo XPS is once again available through Dell's online store, kicking off with the same specifications and steep $1,998 starting price.

Permalink to story.

You have to wonder about a company that just flat-out lies like that. There's nothing wrong with saying they're going to restrict inventory at first release. Nintendo does that every time with their gaming consoles and publicly announces it way in advance.

Bad way to run a business in my eyes....

The phrase, "you got played" comes to mind. props to the marketing department for keeping everyone one there toes, and not having to deal with the wrath of "we just decided to stop making them for a bit so our factory could catch up"

really?! So there was never anything wrong in the previous related news about the Adamo stopped due to bad hinges and what not and being about to get in in the UK and there where only like 3 or 4 left in stock?! Now this, I agree bad way to run a business and still if you're even thinking of purchasing this I'd take a second thought and buy an Apple instead.

I wonder if this is because lots of people rushed out to buy one because they heard it was going to be a limited edition, so then Dell decided to restock them because sales were finally picking up. Obviously "lots" is a relative term in this case, because I can't imagine they sold many to begin with.

A bit too expensive for my tastes. It is pretty though, and probably nice heat transfer from below. On my laptop you could cook an egg, and thats right on the WASD keys.

hello ...

that's why i love apple too ;) ... Dell XPS machine is still one of the top 5 of my fav machine on my wishlist.

I till can't buy a desktop PC, so have to check out all laptops around. Price can be a major deciding factor but i need peace of mind most.

cheers!

Uh-huh. Yeah, now this makes Dell sound so believable. Spin some more Dell, spin some more.

I'm putting my money on a resurgence in interest in these after the story of their scarcity came out and that Dell had planned on ending the product life cycle due to lagging sales previously.

The unit is really cool. I like the Adamo model, because of how competitive it is compared to other companies' small laptops.

It does not even compare to the netbooks. :p

Why won't Adamo XPS just go away? Please ...just go away.
I am starting to hate this laptop because of DELL strategy with it (overpriced,ugly design, the so called "limited edition").

It looks neat :) , but ya I doubt I'm a target for this product and have no interest in it. Dell's misstep here seems to be the left hand not knowing what the right is doing...maybe this is why they are starting to slip in the overall computer industry /shurg.

Apparently, misinformed sales reps are to blame for incorrectly spreading word that the system was near the end of its lifecycle.
This was the case where the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. If the sales reps were so misinformed, then Dell has a serious issue with communication within its corporation. This would also explained the existence of the Adamo XPS.

So the company lied the first time that Dell Adamo stopped from being sold?.... Or maybe they just changed their mind about their plan for Adamo and there's nothing wrong with it... Dell Adamo looks like its going to break but Dell's other laptops are really cool...

So the company lied the first time that Dell Adamo stopped from being sold?.... Or maybe they just changed their mind about their plan for Adamo and there's nothing wrong with it... Dell Adamo looks like its going to break but Dell's other laptops are really cool...

Well I still think I wouldn't buy an overprice good looking computer like this one, aren't they losing money rather than making it? The target audience for a $2000 price start must be really restricted with today's economy.

LOL, Dell seriously just be honest the first time.
Dell should really still update this PC and lower the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back