Desktop vs. Laptop Gaming with the RTX 2070

Right now, RTX laptops are considerably high with too little payoff.

Shadows, glass reflections and reflections off surfaces - mostly inaccurate for the time being - aren't logical reasons to do the upgrade.

RTX is an answer to a question nobody asked.

I am fairly certain that most buyers would prefer getting the power of a 1080Ti in their laptop over the performance boost of ray tracing.

It's a shallow talking point.

But the 1080 ti is on its way out. Sure it can be found in some gaming laptops but some ask crazy pricing, in some cases higher than a RTX model. People just wont spend that kind of money on a laptop, at least not your average user. So imo 1080 ti is out. Yes its better performance but goodluck finding one at a fair price in a laptop.

No 1080 Ti laptop version, the 2080 is the top of the list, replacing the 1080. Nobody's going to use RT in laptops though having only a 1080p screen could encourage the RT use case a bit. Still an RTX 20x0 series is still more powerful than the GTX 10x0 of the same number (non Max-Q of course) so it's useful to get that RTX-class GPU if you need top tier performance and don't mind paying for it.

I'm looking for a laptop for occasional use and I'm trying to find if there's something affordable but still reasonable at 1080p in a laptop form factor. Probably just get a 1060 as I'm just too damn cheap to spend more for an occasional use laptop than for my every day use desktop.

Well duh. Laptops on any comparable component level will always be outperformed, simply because of heat alone. They're not built for gaming and even the "gaming" laptops will die faster. All of your major components pushing performance will generate a ton of heat, except for your SSD. This means they'll ultimately burn out faster, because there are less places for hot air to escape and cool air to get in. Plus, you've got the added environmental influence of being moved around, bumped, dust, moisture, ambient air temperature changes, hair, etc. to contend with. You also don't need to spend $2k for a gaming desktop, like they're saying here.

Based on current prices, the RTX 2060 should not be underperforming the GTX 1070.

If you are in the market for a new laptop, stick with the GTX 10XX series. Or, if you can help it at all, build a desktop. I just built a desktop with a GTX 1080 ti for $1,250. It should give me roughly double the power of a similarly priced RTX 2060 laptop.

It would be interesting to see how much a gaming desktop with roughly equivalent performance to one of these $2000 laptops would cost. I suspect that a desktop RTX 2060 would likely perform quite similar to a laptop 2070. And in terms of CPU performance, an i7-9750H is likely only about on par with a desktop Ryzen 2600, and that desktop part may even perform better in some games, since it won't be running into power or thermal limits under heavy load.

A system built around those components, 16GB of DDR4-3200 RAM, a 512GB SSD, B450 motherboard, and a mid-range case and PSU would not have to cost much more than USD $800 for these core components. Add a $200 24" 1080p 144Hz VA screen, along with a decent gaming keyboard and mouse assuming they are needed, and you're at around $1100, or about $1200 with a proper OEM Windows license. That's around $800 less to build a complete desktop system with similar performance, or perhaps $850 less since you'll probably want a gaming mouse or other controller for the laptop as well. And aside from portability, the desktop system would likely provide a better gaming experience overall, since a 24" screen provides nearly double the area of a 17.3" model, and the overall ergonomics should be better on the desktop system.

And if you actually wanted to spend that extra $850 on the desktop system to match the price of the laptop, you could for example move up to an RTX 2080, a Ryzen 2700X, a 1TB SSD, 32GB of RAM, and a 31.5" 1440p display. Or go for something in between the two, perhaps with a desktop 2070, and spend the remainder on a relatively inexpensive 2-in-1 laptop, so that you can have more portability when you need to take a system with you, and more performance when gaming.

Plus, the desktop system can be upgraded, keeping it relevant much longer, whereas a gaming laptop will likely need to be replaced entirely within several years or so if one wants to continue to get good performance and visuals in the latest games.

I just bought a Asus gaming laptop with i7 CPU RTX 2070 8GB DDR6. I dont care to get high FPS and im playing on a 120hz 1080p screen. As long as I can play most of the games next gen on this laptop then I think I will be happy. I know a desk top PC will always be better. Id rather take my PC with me than sit at home and be stuck in one place. Like right now I took my laptop to my GFs house and I can game if I wanted to. I also want to DJ and Id need my Laptop to start out ( I know place have CDjs that dont need a laptop) I think when it comes down to it what do you want to do with you computer?

Back