Destiny 2 veterans come to 'The Rescue' of noobs stuck in the Dares of Eternity DLC

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Facepalm: What if you started a game without a proper introduction into its mechanics and were ill-equipped to beat its enemies? That's where new Destiny 2 players are finding themselves after being thrust into high-level content with no understanding of how to abort. Veteran players are coming to the rescue by tricking the matchmaking system into grouping them with low-level players.

Destiny 2's "Dares of Eternity" expansion is making life a living hell for newer players. To begin with, Bungie automatically launches players into the content. Newer players are started at a power level of 1,100. Unfortunately, Dares of Eternity is rated for players 1,150 and above who own the right equipment. Because of this discrepancy, low-level players are stuck in missions they cannot beat.

As if that weren't enough, the matchmaking system only teams together like-level players, essentially trapping groups of noobs in high-level play. Forbes noted that champions and bosses are particularly frustrating because you cannot defeat them without unique weapon mods that new players are not likely to have. Some complained of being stuck in the DLC for an hour or more, unable to pass the second dare boss.

Users discussed the problem on the Destiny 2 subreddit, and even veteran players admitted that New Lights don't have a chance of completing the missions.

"Dares of Eternity may be a fun playground for veteran users, but for New Lights, it's like a burning hell," said one Redditor.

Several high-level members of the Destiny 2 community have taken it upon themselves to get the new players through the frustratingly difficult DoE content in a player-created mission called "The Rescue." The problem is getting into a low-level group.

What the players have been doing is stripping themselves of their high-level equipment and lowering their light levels in hopes of tricking the matchmaking system into teaming them with stuck New Lights. If they succeed, they simply re-equip their gear and get the new players through the content.

The Destiny 2 vets are actually finding this rescue mission just as fun as the content itself.

"Queuing for Dares of Eternity for a few hours to help New Lights is the most fun I've had in Destiny in a while," said one player after helping several new users get through DoE.

Many players questioned the wisdom of automatically enrolling players into new content. While you can escape the content by simply going back into orbit, it's not the most straightforward process, and beginners are likely unaware of how to do it. At the very least, Bungie should be starting players at much higher power levels when doing this.

A Bungie representative responded to the Reddit posts saying that developers are looking into the situation and hope to resolve it as soon as possible.

"We've got some emails out to the team about this. Cheers to all who are hopping in to help New Lights in need."

Permalink to story.

Hey at least they haven't monetized that entry barrier for newbies....Yet.

Rockstar on the other hand? Well new comers might hear great reviews about GTA V and think "Yeah I can also play this game about bank robbers and common criminals online? Let me try!" Only to be greeted by people on magical flying bikes with perfect accuracy missiles, explosive sniper riffles, orbital cannon strikes, etc. And find out that to compete with these players and their toys they need 20 to 30 million dollars of in game currency when most of the newbie jobs pay maybe 15,000 at the most. But worry not: you can buy in game currency at the rate of 8 million in game moon dollars for only 50 IRL USD!

I'm surprised Destiny is doing as well as it is, They haven't added any truly new content in years, it's just the same enemy's reskinned or levels from the first game.

Real shame as the first game I spent a crazy amount of time playing, Destiny 2 I maybe have close to 200 hours in but the last 120 hours I think was in hopes of some actually new content at some point.

Here's to Destiny 3 to finally bring something new to the table.

Wars are Brutal - theirs is not to question why , theirs is but to do or die

Think about all those who struggled mightily over Xmas to remove the shrink-wrap - they were locked out - do we get a story about those soldiers and the Veteran Dads coming to the rescue

This is kinda the reason why I gave up on Destiny 2. I only have a few spare hours a month to play, and every time a new season launches with new content, I'm "reset" to a
beginner base level again.

I'm surprised Destiny is doing as well as it is, They haven't added any truly new content in years, it's just the same enemy's reskinned or levels from the first game.

Real shame as the first game I spent a crazy amount of time playing, Destiny 2 I maybe have close to 200 hours in but the last 120 hours I think was in hopes of some actually new content at some point.

I enjoyed the stoy to D2 then the game got old very quickly. they even cheaped out on the new cinematic that continued the story lines in later expansions.

I would quite happily accept more advertising in games if it gave developers/publishers more cash to pay for actors and writers to create more story content.

This is kinda the reason why I gave up on Destiny 2. I only have a few spare hours a month to play, and every time a new season launches with new content, I'm "reset" to a
beginner base level again.
Agreed. I loved the initial launch and how the game was, but I eventually grew tired of not knowing which content would reward upgrades and kept doing content that rewarded the same if not lower level gear, which wasted my time. I had to always get on the internet to find where I needed to go and what I needed to do to get the next upgrade or a key weapon.

I didn't like how accessing stats (not that they mattered that much) or inventories changed depending on where the player was.

I once got a 100 item level higher bow and its damage wasn't noticeably higher than the previous bow. It seems only my average item level affects the damage my character does so getting this massive upgrade didn't mean anything. Item stats should increase your characters power rather than an average item level.

I once spent some money to help me gear up in an attempt to catch up with friends who invited me to play with them and a week later a new expansion came out and all the gear I had acquired was useless.
What's wrong with experience points and having character and enemy levels so I know if I'm in a low level area or doing lower level content?

I hated the loading times. It doesn't matter if I have a super fast NVME drive or a HDD going to a planet still took around the same amount of time.

I made several posts on their official forums outlining all the issues I had with the game and proposed fixed for them, but they've never address those issues. I'll likely never play the game again and certainly won't be spending any money on it.

Agreed. I loved the initial launch and how the game was, but I eventually grew tired of not knowing which content would reward upgrades and kept doing content that rewarded the same if not lower level gear, which wasted my time. I had to always get on the internet to find where I needed to go and what I needed to do to get the next upgrade or a key weapon.

I didn't like how accessing stats (not that they mattered that much) or inventories changed depending on where the player was.

I once got a 100 item level higher bow and its damage wasn't noticeably higher than the previous bow. It seems only my average item level affects the damage my character does so getting this massive upgrade didn't mean anything. Item stats should increase your characters power rather than an average item level.

I once spent some money to help me gear up in an attempt to catch up with friends who invited me to play with them and a week later a new expansion came out and all the gear I had acquired was useless.
What's wrong with experience points and having character and enemy levels so I know if I'm in a low level area or doing lower level content?

I hated the loading times. It doesn't matter if I have a super fast NVME drive or a HDD going to a planet still took around the same amount of time.

I made several posts on their official forums outlining all the issues I had with the game and proposed fixed for them, but they've never address those issues. I'll likely never play the game again and certainly won't be spending any money on it.

Tell me you don't play the game, without telling me you don't play the game...

You get rewards from every activity. You always have a chance of getting higher level gear. You could never get a weapon suddenly 100 light levels higher. And light level has no bearing on stats, so why would you try to put these two things in relation? Accessing stats or inventories has always been exactly the same everywhere, I have no clue what you're talking about. And gear stats affect your power, but in other ways than just pure damage output - it gives you the chance to perform better in every other way.

All the gear you acquire can always be used and is still useful. Again, don't know what you're talking about. Of course, if you want to play competitive Crucible (Trials) or do the raids as soon as they come out, then yeah you'll have to update your gear frequently, but that's reasonable.

It's literally told on the map when you pass over any icon what is the recommended light level for that specific activity. Take a second to read it.

Loading times are perfect, it never takes me more than 2 seconds to load anything. It's probably the fastest loading times I've seen in a game. They only way it would take you so much time is if you played on a trash PC, but then it's your fault for doing so. I'm on console, and everything runs extremely fast.

Looking at your post, it's pretty clear that you never played the game (or only at launch...4.5 years ago?) and only came to troll. Please, don't be that guy.

I enjoyed the stoy to D2 then the game got old very quickly. they even cheaped out on the new cinematic that continued the story lines in later expansions.

I would quite happily accept more advertising in games if it gave developers/publishers more cash to pay for actors and writers to create more story content.
cheaped out? They have more cinematics than ever now, and the story is better than ever as well, much more than what it was in D1. I'm confused lol

We've literally had a full blown expansion every year that is completely new content and enemies, and that's not counting the crazy amount of stuff coming with each season.

Granted it hasn't always been this way, that's for sure...but 200 hours in D2? You haven't seen anything, you barely scratched the surface.

We've literally had a full blown expansion every year that is completely new content and enemies, and that's not counting the crazy amount of stuff coming with each season.

Granted it hasn't always been this way, that's for sure...but 200 hours in D2? You haven't seen anything, you barely scratched the surface.
What are you on about? Legit, if you like playing the same content over and over again (lets be real here, these "expansions" aren't big at all) then sure, there's plenty of the same thing over and over again to do.

The game mechanics and feel are actually great, it's what kept me around so long, but damn, there really isn't new content at all. The first game created the Cabal, Fallen, Vex, Hive. The Taken are literally Vex with a new texture pack and animations.

And unless it's PvP, it really is "do this same run again and again and again until we randomly give you some better gear" which really does get exhausting, specially when your friend who's played half the hours gets the better gear drop before you. I really hate the random loot drop system as well, It's literally a system there to deter you from seeing how little content is there.

Edit: it's worth saying as well, I have friends who still play it daily and I watch their streams every so often and I remark every time "isn't that the thing you were doing yesterday" Or "isn't that the exact same run you just did?". It's amazing how many people out there genuinely like doing the same thing over and over again just for that chance of better gear.

cheaped out? They have more cinematics than ever now, and the story is better than ever as well, much more than what it was in D1. I'm confused lol
I haven't played in a while but I know I was definitely disappointed in the "cinematics" produced for all of the additional DLCs. They may have improved things since I stopped playing.

Back