Did I Damage My CPU Socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( So, today I recently picked up a new mobo and CPU (Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and a q6600 CPU). I was in the process of installing the new goods...(had the mobo in the case) when I decided to crack open the CPU/Heatsink package. AND JUST MY LUCK...when I pulled apart the plastic containing the CPU and Heatsink, the Heatsink goes flying, and where does it land? Right on the CPU socket. :( I picked it up and looked in, and for the most part it looks fine, but when looking at it from a slightly sideways angle, in 2 tiny spots it looks like a pin or two may be slightly bent.

Should I continue with the process and install the CPU? Or are the odds against me on this?

Any suggestions/feedback would be GREATLY appreciated

Please, please, PLEASE tell me I'm not SOL.

TY

Somewhat of a followup...I proceeded to install the new parts. Now when I boot my computer (or try to) It powers up for about 5 seconds (power lights are on and everything) and then it shuts off, waits about 3 seconds and tries to power up again.

I'm using an Antec Neopower 480w PS. http://www.antec.com/specs/Neo480_spe.html

...and just dropped in an 8800gts...could the PSU be the problem or does this sound like something caused before with the aforementioned CPU connector problem.

Well first make sure the CPU is getting power (Image below). Other than that I'm not exactly sure, tragically the CPU might be broken, the power supply sounds like it could cause something like this as well though T_T

I've used a fingernail file to gently straighten pins before. They're pretty close together on a 775 socket but it might work.

Banting a couple of pins is not likely to cause big problem. All you need is straighten them out as Tarkus suggested. Of course there are always exception.

It powers up for about 5 seconds (power lights are on and everything) and then it shuts off, waits about 3 seconds and tries to power up again.

Do you meant that the computer will power up for about 5 sec, follow by a pause then continue its booting process? Or keep restarting itself?

It will be helpful in trouble shoot if you post your system specs.

If you're careful, a straight edged razor from a utility knive works the best. It works best because you can straighten more than one pin at a time as well as ensure that all the pins line up in a straight row. I've had quite a bit of success with this method. It's a lot thinner than a nail file, although it will accomplish the same thing. Just have to be more careful. Sometimes when I receive them from online (OEM version -plastic case, label with processor's name , the processor and the sponge cover over the pins). They just sometimes get smashed.
BUT BEWARE! If you aren't careful, you can accidentally render the chip useless. It did happen once to me with an AMD X2 5200+ AM2. I could have kicked myself you know where. $159 down the drain. Worked out though since I replaced it with the 6000+ series. I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back