Dimension 3000 upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya. ok here is my question. compared to some of u reading this post. i would be what u would call a noob. i know how to build computers. but i had help. from a cuz. but i lost touch with him. what i need to do is upgrade my dimension 3000's ram. so i can play good mmorpgs =p. ok so here is goes. i want to upgrade my ram from 254mb to at least 556 or more. just enuf to play good games. here r my comps specs. WARNING:thir pretty sad =[

Processor:Intell(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz <----pretty bad huh i want to upgrade this

Memory: 254 RAM <----need to update this too

Those are the 2 things i want to update. so what will i need to at least get the 2.66 GHz to maybe 3.00 or more? and have enuf to make this comp able to play kick *** vid games with no prob. i already know this comp can Handel good games. i know this cuz i can play lots of mmorpgs so far. but i wanna get ready for AoC.

sorry if i sound like a complete noob. but that's y im here =]

P.S dell told me that i can update it. but not by much and that im better off getting a new comp. but i think that's a bunch of bull cuz a comp tech told me i could update it to a certain point so it will be at least enuf to play good games.

btw i want to spend maybe only meh...$450 maybe more or DEFENTLY less i don't want to spend like 2000 cuz i could just buy a new one =p

You could spend like $675.00 at Dell and purchase a computer that would blow your ancient Dell Deminsion 3000 away. You'd get a new Dell Inspiron 530 with an Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E4600, Windows XP Home, no monitor, 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs memory, 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive, 16x DVD+/-RW Drive, nVidia GeForce 8300GS 128MB video card, Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio, Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse, No Floppy Drive Included, No Modem option, no wireless adapter, no optional ports, no printer, no speakers, no surge protector, no security suite (because you'll download Avast or AVG instead), no productivity software (because you'll download Open Office instead), no entertainment editing software (because you'll download Paint.net instead), and none of the other stuff they offer except the one year warranty.

All of this can be yours for $569.00 plus tax plus shipping.

Your old computer is way to slow to really get any benefit from changing the processor or adding more memory. It doesn't have an AGP slot for a faster video card so you'd be stuck buying an PCI video card, a new power supply, and more memory. The only thing good about your computer is that it would be fairly cheap (roughly $150-$300) to “upgrade” but doing so wouldn't make your computer much faster.

Here's what you can do to upgrade your system:

Get a new video card. I recommend a EVGA 256-P1-N399-LX GeForce 6200 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Video Card - Retail. You can get one brand new for $45.99 at Newegg.com - you could also get this cheaper if you search a little harder on the net..

Upgrade your memory to at least 1GB. Get 400-MHz DDR SDRAM - about $30.

Upgrade the CPU to a Pentium 4. Price range will be anywhere from $30 for a low end P4 up to $120 for the high end 3.2GHz - example: Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 800MHz 478pin 1MB CPU, OEM Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 800MHz 478pin 1MB CPU, OEM - $67 at eWiz.com.

Just make sure you get a P4 that supports Hyper-Threading Technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back