Direct3D problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
So recently my computer started givin me a BSOD whenever I tried to start a game or a movie or if I ran dxdiag and noticed that when running dxdiag if I let it skip direct3d there was no problem. So I downloaded and installed the latest directx 9.0c from Microsoft and the latest driver for my nVidia Geforce 7800 GS. Now movies run and dxdiag runs without problems, but .wmv files only show a green screen (the sound works fine) and when I run games I get a blank black screen (again sound is fine and the custom mouse appears no problem). I'm lost - PLEASE HELP!!

What is the error message when you get the BSOD?? What are your system specs?? When you installed the latest drivers, did you uninstall the old drivers??

sghiznaneck said:
What is the error message when you get the BSOD?? What are your system specs?? When you installed the latest drivers, did you uninstall the old drivers??

The BSOD flashes too fast for me to read the error message. I hadn't originally uninstalled the old drivers, but i just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for my card and nothing's changed.

AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 1.8 Ghz
1 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 7800 GS 256MB
180 GB HDD
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe Motherboard

Also, when I run dxdiag and test direct3d, it renders the spinning cube but it doesn't show the directX logo. Along the same lines, I tried running WoW and it would render all the bodies (ie, my toon, other toons, and NPCs) but they would all be pure white and all of the surrounding area would alternate all black or white. Don't know if this helps.

Have you tried booting into safe mode and removing ALL graphics drivers and software then booting into normal mode and installing from scratch?

So I tried that... nothing. Then in my frustration I wiped my HD and reinstalled windows, which fixed the problem - for about a second. Because after I finished reinstalling all the drivers for my motherboard, the problem was back. So I don't know if one of those drivers is the problem or what, but I'm at a total loss now.

I put the same mobo in my daughter's computer when I upgraded it. You did load the AGP 2.0 driver utility from the disk, didn't you (just had to ask)? If this is the case, there could be a problem with the bios version. After I upgraded my daughter's and installed a 7600 GS with 512 megs onboard RAM, I had to update the board bios. That's not to say it is the problem here. It could be that once the drivers for the AGP interface is installed, the drivers are working, but the card may be bad. Remember, when reinstalling Windows, it will load a generic VGA driver for your card. The card really isn't being run through its paces until the AGP driver interface is installed.
Do you know someone where you can take out your card and test it in their rig? I would advise that prior to updating the bios. The thing about bios is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". That would be my first step at resolving the problem. Make sure you have the lates version of the graphics drivers (Forceware 163.44). They are beta and you'll get the "The driver you are trying to install has not passed the Microsoft WHQL certification..." but don't worry, I'm running them because they are the version required for Bioshock and I haven't had any problems with them.
Let me know what's up and where we need to go from that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back