Disabled cd rom drive

My husband - God love him, added another drive to our system. Sounds simple right? Now when you try to use the cd rom drive - it won't work, you can't install anything from it and when you look at the drive it is disabled. I tried to enable it but it won't work. I also disabled the new drive and tried to enable the old drive, it still won't work. The 2 drives share the same location when you look at them via My Computer: Location 1 [1] I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not. Any advice would be appreciated. :monkey: It's driving me crazy,

Depending on the 'age' of your PC, most PCs have 2 IDE connectors, on which you can connect 2 drives each.
The flat-cable has one side on the motherboard, the Master-drive on that cable is on the other far-end, and a possible Slave-drive connects to the middle of that cable.
The Master on IDE-0 (the first group) is normally the booting harddisk C-drive with Windows on it.
The Master on IDE-1 (the second group) is normally the CD-ROM/CDRW/DVD, or the D-drive.
If you add another harddisk to the above system, you would connect it as Slave to the middle of the first cable (you set master/slave jumpers on the back of the harddisk). After it has been partitioned and formatted, it would become the next free drive-letter E under XP or W2K.
In W98 and probably ME the new harddisk would become D and the CD/DVD would 'move up' to E.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Back