Disabling an integrated graphics card in BIOS

I have searched so many threads I am going crosseyed. I know I have to disable the card in bios my motherboard manual says so. I just cant figure out what the heck the thing is called. My motherboard is an Asus M2N68-Am Plus. My OS is Windows 7. I am trying to install a Nividia G-force 210 graphics card. Can someone please help me?

Under BIOS Setup Utility > Advanced tab > Chipset > Southbridge configuration > Primary Graphics Adapter. Choose the option [PCIE -> PCI -> IGP].

This doesn't actually disable the IGP (onboard graphics) but it gives priority to the PCI-E graphics card which lets you use it.

Yes, It's already set to that. I Uninstalled all the old drivers and installed the new ones and it just keeps putting the old ones back. I'm ready to whip the damn thing out the window!

its probably gonna keep doing that until you have a dedicated graphics card installed in the slot :)

I have installed the card like 30 times after uninstalling the old drivers. I install the new graphics card and I just get a black monitor.

the drivers don't load until after post, so once the onboard adapter is disabled the card should work. is there a chance that you forgot to connect the external power connector? some cards require additional power straight from the power supply or they don't work. you may also need a power supply upgrade if that's the case.

Geforce 210

Would have thought by fitting the PCI E card, the integrated graphics were disabled anyway ? Looking at the photos of the 210 card it seems to have no extra power connectors, so I would try a different monitor cable. It has all the options, VGA, DVI & HDMI. Even without the correct driver, Windows 7 will install a 'generic' driver, so that you can see what you are doing.

I know I have to disable the card in bios my motherboard manual says so.
What manual??? Your ASUS manual only shows how to set priority for the graphics card (as mailpup has pointed out between setting PCI_E or IGP as priority)

Yes, It's already set to that. I Uninstalled all the old drivers and installed the new ones and it just keeps putting the old ones back. I'm ready to whip the damn thing out the window!
NOTE!! Windows doesn't need drivers to detect Plug and Play hardware. Windows only needs the right driver to use the hardware. (in fact, Plug and Play works in the first place because hardware detection occurs FIRST and THEN Windows goes hunting for drivers for a detected device )

My vote is also as suggested earlier, that Windows is likely NOT detecting your PCI-E graphics card so it's using onboard graphics.

When you say "it's black" you mean the only graphics output is on onboard card? (i.e. maybe it's "black" as in the PCI-Ecard may not be working / detected at all?)

Back