Disk Boot Failure, ntldr missing, Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragebflame

Hi,
This problem is driving me insane. It all began about 3 days ago. The last thing i can remember installing is AVG antiirus (free edition). restarting my computer and getting ''disk boot failure, please insert system key to continue''.

pc spec:
asus a8n-sli deluxe mobo
1gig ram
samsung p120 250gig X2
amd x2 4400.
Windows pro

I inserted the windows cd and restarted. The pc booted fine into windows but i did get some errors with explorer crashing. I ran a trusted Anti virus software which showed up clean, so i moved all my movies etc onto my second had drive which i was just using as storage, and i tried repair windows through cd, which didnt solve the problem.
I then tried windows restore, didnt help.
I tried ASR and that didnt help either.
I tried recovery console and fixmbr, fixboot, bootcfg etc. No luck.

Finally i decided to reformat and install windows fresh. install went fine but when i tried to boot without cd after installation was finished i got the same "disk boot failure" error.

Im sure that the drive isint dead as the BIOS sees it ok and i can use the partition on it no problem after i boot from cd.

Getting annoyed i said id try fdisk to see if the partition was active. It wasent so i set it as active. now i get the "ntldr missing, press ctrl+alt+delete to restart".

Just to be sure i installed windows on my second hard drive but that also gets the "disk boot failure" error. I am starting to think that the motherboard is the problem as the second hard drive is only a month old and the first is about 9 months old.

This has really stumped me. I hope you guys can help me. i dont want to go buying a new system :(

ragebflame said:
Hi,

This has really stumped me. I hope you guys can help me. i dont want to go buying a new system :(

A couple of things to try, make sure the BIOS is set to boot from the HD, it may be set to boot from CD only.

Or if you have more than 1 IDE device connected make sure the jumpers are set correctly, its possible that the BIOS is looking on the wrong IDE controller for the boot device...

Lastly check the HD's using a good quality HD tool to make sure there are no faults with either, I know you say they are new but I see new drives fail quite quickly.

Regards

ahhh. Ive solved it,

I removed my second hard drive and reformatted my first on AGAIN. installed windows and she starts up fine. Now to begin the long process of installing drivers, games etc.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Dan

ragebflame said:
ahhh. Ive solved it,

I removed my second hard drive and reformatted my first on AGAIN. installed windows and she starts up fine. Now to begin the long process of installing drivers, games etc.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Dan

Your welcome , i'm glad to hear that you got it sorted at last, were always happy to help here at TS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back