Display Glitchy, Dont know Cause

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running a computer with a nvidia Geforce4 ti4800 and a Gateway FPD1810 LCD monitor. Ive been running this computer for about 4 years now with no problems. All of a sudden this morning when i turned it on the display was very glitchy. There are squares and lines that almost look like static, and the blink and phase in and out. I had to disable my video card due to it freezing. without it running, i can run normal things but the screen is still glitchy.

I have tried system restore, replacing drivers, and opening up the box and checking if the card was loose, and nothing worked. I do not understand how out of nowhere my screen could just glitch.

I know it is not the monitor itself because when i push the configuration buttons on the monitor itself, the configuration options cover the squares. I dont think it could be spyware, because the screen starts to glitch even when its loading windows. once in a while the glitches will stop for about 10 seconds or so and then they start up again. and when i scroll up and down screens the lines get bigger and more messy until i minimise and maximise again.

I am at my wits end. This computer was expensive as hell, and anyone who can help me fix it deserves undying gratitude.

thanks.

Hi

Well, maybe a dumb question, but did you try a different monitor? You said you have been using the same monitor for 4 years? Maybe it's age is catching up with it. I've had monitors that seemed perfect, crisp and clear one day, then all of a sudden they start fading. It just happens. Well good luck.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Try a different monitor. If that doesn`t help, it`s your video card that`s faulty.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Ya most old LCD monitors tend to give problems sooner or later. And also response times are too high for fast games or applications. thats y i always recommend good old CRTs.

There can be so many causes 4 ur problem. I will tell you a few steps to analyze and surely solve ur problem.

1) Degauss ur monitor and remove any unshieldic magnatic items like speakers, mobile phones, cordless items, fm radios, tvs which r near ur monitor.
2) check ur power and monitor cables by connecting ur monitor to a frens computer. If it works fine, replace ur cables! If it doesnt work time to replace ur expired monitor.
3) check ur video card on ur frens com, if it doesnt work, ur card is faulty.
4) same way check ur RAM and PSU.
6) Update ur latest device drivers from ur manufacturers website.
5) If all the following works, time to change to a new motherboard !!

wish u all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back