Display Tech Compared: TN vs. VA vs. IPS

I'm currently in some remote Siberian city on holidays, and so far I have seen a lot more OLED and QLED TV panels here than bears, and many of those can make a great monitor. So why OLED and QLED are not included in the article?

Last edited:
TN has the worst image quality but still delivers what I consider the most important thing: motion clarity. I dont mind having bad colours if when on fast moving objects there is no trail.

IPS great for photoshop, I hate ips glow tho and for gaming they cause me eye strain due to blur.

VA good for movies, great contrast.

"VA panels also tend to be less consistent with their transitions; some individual transitions can be fast, while others very slow"

Would probably be more useful to have a demonstration of that. I've never owned an AMVA+ panel but from what I've seen they can come with some awful side-effects like this and this. Not to mention chronic Black Crush that defeats the whole advantage of a higher contrast display in the first place.

If anyone owns one, do the new AMVA+ panels still suffer from this stuff?

I did a similar article for college.
My Omen is a TN panel with Gsync and its faster then lighting.
I loved my former H-IPS (Dell U3011) but that 3G coating eventually got to me, I should have took it off the first day. Thank you wet papertowels and my tablet maintenance kit.
Anyways, great read here.

@Tim Schiesser :) Really good article dude, thanks:)

Waiting on OLED like VitalyT , but like Steveb8189, I've also read the reviews and associated tech problems.

Always been out of my price range ( £3-400 Max I'll spend on TV...., ~£250 on PC Monitor ); when below £500 I'll buy in.

"VA panels also tend to be less consistent with their transitions; some individual transitions can be fast, while others very slow"

Would probably be more useful to have a demonstration of that. I've never owned an AMVA+ panel but from what I've seen they can come with some awful side-effects like this and this. Not to mention chronic Black Crush that defeats the whole advantage of a higher contrast display in the first place.

If anyone owns one, do the new AMVA+ panels still suffer from this stuff?

You're the first person I've seen mention VA black crush, which I experienced with an Insignia 32" 1080p TV I used as a monitor for a few years. I kinda got used to it but it was nice to replace that with an IPS 1440p ultrawide... uuuuntil I saw the backlight glow. I still have it as the color linearity is marginally better than the nice blacks and contrast, but damn I want both.

And of course now I really want a 144Hz gaming monitor. Picky bastard.

VA panel for gaming???

Just about everyone I see in forums discussing getting a VA panel for gaming, regrets it because of 'smearing' issues with fast movements.

You're the first person I've seen mention VA black crush, which I experienced with an Insignia 32" 1080p TV I used as a monitor for a few years.

VA panel for gaming??? Just about everyone I see in forums discussing getting a VA panel for gaming, regrets it because of 'smearing' issues with fast movements.

Thanks for the feedback guys. If there's one thing official benchmarks don't show it's the worst like grey to almost black transitions can be up to 50ms for VA for which extreme levels of Response Time Compensation (BenQ's AMA, etc) is needed which in turn then causes inverse "dark trail" ghosting effects like in those vids I quoted. Unlike immediately obvious TN's view angles or IPS glow which show up on a static screen, it seems you really have to go digging for this stuff when review sites stick to just the "technicals" but don't actually show examples of problem games that lie within VA's slowest response time "troughs". I think I'll just stick to IPS / TN.

VA panel for gaming???

Just about everyone I see in forums discussing getting a VA panel for gaming, regrets it because of 'smearing' issues with fast movements.

I have a ViewSonic VX2457-MHD 75Hz freesync monitor and I don't seem to suffer from what you're describing at all whether driving games or FPS games plus it's 1ms (g to g) response times are great

sometimes all it comes down to is the quality of the monitor build some are better than others so please don't tar and feather them all because you've had one bad experience

so please don't tar and feather them all because you've had one bad experience

Err..I've never had a VA panel monitor, I was simply saying what I've read on various tech forums from people who couldn't live with the ghosting/smearing issue which seems to be a characteristic of the technology, just as light bleed is endemic to IPS.

VA panel for gaming???

Yeah I don't get that conclusion at all. VA is super slow response times, and suffers from smearing and black crush.
The best use of VA would be photo or video editing (or watching) where you need the deep blacks and colour accuracy.

Really happy to see the Pixio PX277h in your recommendation list at the end. That monitor's an unbelievable steal considering the 27" bezeless panel's 1440p, 144Hz, IPS (AVHA), "10-bit" color (8-bit+FRC), + HDR10 feature-set (it's the same bezeless AUO "1440p, 144/165Hz, IPS" panel all the big brands use [ala Asus & Acer]), along with the display controller's 30-144Hz FreeSync support (aka ≈15-144Hz in practice bc LFC; so equal range to G-SYNC, which does frame-doubling under 30Hz/fps too).

Unless you need G-SYNC, there's very little reason to buy a name brand monitor these days as the LCD panels & display controllers are all the exact same off-the-shelf parts, simply placed in different plastic housings. So just as long as you can find an option with good build quality (aka not using reject panels, which can be verified by reading reviews) & warranty (like the above), you can save yourself nearly a fortune.

The best use of VA would be photo or video editing (or watching) where you need the deep blacks and colour accuracy.

IPS offers superior colour accuracy than VA, so would always be the preference for this type of work. Granted, VA can often LOOK better, so for viewing VA might very well be the preference given those deeper blacks and higher contrast ratio, but VA is not as accurate so wouldn't be the best choice for colour critical work... not that it would necessarily matter for most people, unless their work demanded it. Still, there's a very good reason why every colour critical monitor on the market uses IPS technology.

Two words

Burn
In

Which is *not* a problem as long as you aren't an *****. I own a LG B6 TV which I use as a PC monitor, and have had no problems with it, even with games with massive static elements. [Case in point: I'm playing the original Command and Conquer, and no problems despite the mono-color backgrounds and build menus.] As long as you aren't a complete ***** with it, permanent burn in risk is minimal.

QLED should also be relatively immune from burn in as far as I understand it.

VA panel for gaming???

If you're not competitive fpshooter, VA works just fine. 8 ms is plenty fast enough for any rpg, open world, mmo, strategy game.

No mention of the difference between the previous panel generations of IPS/TN/VA panels? They have progressed considerably based on generation. An IPS panel from 10 years ago is NOT the same quality as a Nano-IPS panel from 2019. It would've been nice if you went a little deeper with that. The LG 950F's IPS panel is the most current generation Nano IPS and the colors are MUCH richer/more vibrant than previous IPS panels. It also has a lower response time.

Yeah I don't get that conclusion at all. VA is super slow response times, and suffers from smearing and black crush.
If your blacks are crushed, it's improperly calibrated. The whole point of a VA is it gets closer to OLED blacks than an IPS can.

VA panel for gaming???

I have a samsung 24” VA panel monitor (overclocked to 72hz) and I sometimes get “inverse” ghosting when playing csgo I use the fastest response time on the monitor, but I kinda got used to it since I also do video editing on it and it works really well (And idk if there are any 144hz ips monitors in Best Buy)

You're the first person I've seen mention VA black crush, which I experienced with an Insignia 32" 1080p TV I used as a monitor for a few years. I kinda got used to it but it was nice to replace that with an IPS 1440p ultrawide... uuuuntil I saw the backlight glow. I still have it as the color linearity is marginally better than the nice blacks and contrast, but damn I want both.

And of course now I really want a 144Hz gaming monitor. Picky bastard.

Hee hee 9 months later and I just got exactly that. LG 32" 1440p VA 144Hz, the one Tim recommends. Here are my impressions of going from 34" 1440pUW 60Hz IPS to 32" 1440P 144Hz VA.

Immediately on plug in it of course looks worse and I had some color calibration on the IPS beforehand. With some user calibration the VA looks fine. The VA panel is a 6-BPP panel with interpolation so on occasion you will see the pixel flipping. Initially jarring after an 8BPP IPS and only visible under certain conditions, I notice it maybe 5% of the time. Text "looks" slightly worse. Hard to describe but I really recommend IPS for office work over VA. But I don't do office work on this computer any more.

Black levels are better but it's a noticeable difference, not a gigantic one. I opted against the 144Hz LG IPS panel Tim also recommends because of the low contrast in that unit, which suggests worse IPS glow than average. My biggest complaint about my IPS ultrawide was the IPS glow. I really disliked it and couldn't wait for it to go. Glow is much lower with this VA panel, but you need to be in the sweet spot. I think the VA glow from the edges might be too annoying in anything bigger than a 32". I could see a 40" being quite annoying.

Shape change is not such a big deal as for gaming I just widen the FOV and take in a bit more top and bottom. So 144Hz is for gaming, how's that worked out?

Rocket League is slam dunk better, exactly what I had hoped/expected. Just a more solid representation of what's going on on the screen. It *feels* like I'm playing better but who knows, eh? There is definitely a big improvement to lag to where I had to adjust a bit at first. You adjust quickly.

Tomb Raider (2013) was exactly the same, but I see what people say about what feels like a bit of dark level lag at 144 fps as that's where VAs have the most transition lag. It's a dark game (RL is bright) so it's noticeable but overall the play is noticeably better at 144fps even with this slight dark smearing.

Minecraft: Ehhh, 144fps doesn't work in this game. Mostly as you can't set 144 in-game, you only get 10FPS steps (140 or 150). The monitor has a 120FPS setting I need to try but it was so jarring at 144 that I haven't tried it again.

Ark:SE: this game looks like crap and is low fps so I max out at 80fps, running about 60 or so on average. Adaptive sync works fine but I don't like blitzing my 1080 for crap quality so I just set the monitor to 60Hz and play there.

Asetto Corsa looks and plays spectacularly. Bright, 144FPS, perfect. Too bad I suck at driving games. Dirt Rally is the same with lower fps and AS makes that look good. I haven't done a night run yet to look for smearing but you need to bust your headlights to really see that.

I probably played some other games but I don't remember. Overall for gaming 144FPS is awesome, even on VA. Not going back to IPS and it's glow. IPS is great for color and office work and I'm typing this on one of those. In my office.

I have used many different sorts of LCD/LED/OLED tv sets as monitors for almost 10 years now. Never had any serious problems with burn-in, on some older models the Windows taskbar would burn in occasionally but then it'd disappear completely after playing fullscreen content for about 40 minutes to 1 hour.

Back