Dragon Age II gets high-res texture patch for PC

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Dragon Age 2 is officially launched in North America today and BioWare has decided to celebrate its arrival with a little treat for PC gamers. Folks playing the sequel on a well-specced machine can download a high-resolution texture patch that adds an option to enable higher detail replacements for most textures in the game. We haven't seen a before and after comparison, but BioWare says the enhanced visuals are especially noticeable on level art.

To take advantage of the 1.1GB update you'll need a video card with at least 1024MB of memory. BioWare also noted that most of the benefits gained from the high-res textures will only be seen when running the game in DirectX 11, which essentially limits the update to gamers with an AMD Radeon HD 5000/6000 or Nvidia GeForce GTX 400/500 series graphics card. Click here to download the patch and follow these instructions to use the snazzier textures:

1. Download the installer from the link above and run it.
  2. Run Dragon Age II.
  3. Open the Options menu.
  4. Select Video options.
  5. Check the "Hi-resolution textures" checkbox.

Permalink to story.

Wow. Maybe a certain other developer should put more than 1 texture set in their games. Nice to know that bioware is making some effort to make a good PC game unlike the other unnamed developer.

For those who are in the USA and Pre-Ordered the game through Steam, is it already playable? I'm in South America and its still locked... (I know this has nothing to do with the topic above) :(

I preordered it through Amazon's digital service and it's playable for whatever that's worth. No idea about Steam.

For those who are in the USA and Pre-Ordered the game through Steam, is it already playable? I'm in South America and its still locked... (I know this has nothing to do with the topic above) :(

The game according to Bioware has been regionally locked, so even if you have a copy from say retail and installed it you wont be able to play until the game officially launches in your region and can validate with their servers from my understanding.

Back